Radiology in the states

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

addidas

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just in the process of starting a Radiology residency application here in the UK. I was wondering how I would go about working in the US if I complete my residency here. Will it be the same old sit the steps route or can I try and get onto a fellowship and work from there?

Members don't see this ad.

I am just in the process of starting a Radiology residency application here in the UK. I was wondering how I would go about working in the US if I complete my residency here. Will it be the same old sit the steps route or can I try and get onto a fellowship and work from there?

You can sit the steps and then become licensed in most but not all states. Some states require accredited postgraduate training in the US. FSMB | State-Specific Requirements For Initial Medical Licensure

Then you could find a job without being board eligible, which is difficult but not impossible. More likely you would want to be board certified, for which you would most likely do 4 years of fellowship, which could be in different subspecialties, could include one year of research, and must include four months of nuclear medicine. This is called the Alternate Pathway of the ABR. It is possible, but unlikely, to fulfill the requirements of the Alternate Pathway by doing four years at an academic faculty position at an institution with an accredited training program. You could also do residency again, in the US.

If you know you want to work in the US, you might as well apply to residency in the US now.

Last edited:
You can sit the steps and then become licensed in most but not all states. Some states require accredited postgraduate training in the US. FSMB | State-Specific Requirements For Initial Medical Licensure

Then you could find a job without being board eligible, which is difficult but not impossible. More likely you would want to be board certified, for which you would most likely do 4 years of fellowship, which could be in different subspecialties, could include one year of research, and must include four months of nuclear medicine. This is called the Alternate Pathway of the ABR. It is possible, but unlikely, to fulfill the requirements of the Alternate Pathway by doing four years at an academic faculty position at an institution with an accredited training program. You could also do residency again, in the US.

If you know you want to work in the US, you might as well apply to residency in the US now.

Thanks for the information Cognovi! Do you know of an experienced centre where you can study in quality and service?

Members don't see this ad :)

Not sure of the details or how long it is still going to be open, but there’s an alternative pathway for those with residency training outside of the US. You need to do four years of fellowship at the same institution, and then full board certification. Assume it also requires USMLE.

Reactions: 1 user