Radiology:Navy HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Liljoe2002

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to find any Radiology residents or people interested in Radio that are in the Navy or HPSP. Applications are coming out and I curious to know what internship do you recommend: Transitional vs. Medicine,etc...Thanks

Liljoe

Members don't see this ad.

hi liljoe,

i will be at UHS in the fall and wonder if I can pick your brain about HPSP. Would you email me at [email protected] and leave me your phone and good time to call, or juts leave your email?

thanks,
electra :confused:

Liljoe

I recommend surgery, transitional or medicine. It will help you survive GMO and prepare you for a rad residency.

You need to get face time with radiologists at the major hospital that governs over your duty station. It would help if you did a research project or publication during internship.

During internship, I did two presentations. During GMO, I have submitted two articles for publication. I also asked for NO COST TAD to do a rotation at a civilian hospital for training outside of the Nav.

If you decide on a Navy residency, Go to San Diego (it is strong, but you may want to check on their board passing rates - I don't know what they have been recently but there are usu >97%). Find out what billets are avail for rads in the nav. You may end up as the sole rad and work in a rad 'sweat shop' on call 24/7 for 3 years. Keep in mind that you will probably have to do a payback tour prior to doing a fellowship.

You can consider doing a res before going into the navy but if you don't end up on a major hosp (portsmouth,beth,san diego) you may lose some skills (some hosp have no MRI/CT or angio suites). If you end up in ports/beth/san diego/AFIP, you will become one of the strongest rads in the country, since you are rotated through every section throughout the year (except nuclear med).