Radiology Research Opportunities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H0mersimps0n

HMO CRUSHER
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started my third year rotations. I'm starting off with a solid three months of IM and am 99% sure I want to do radiology. In reading through these forums and talking to others it appears that I might need some research to be a competitive candidate. I am 99% sure which hospital I want to do my residency at and DEFINITELY am going to do rotations there for rads (but NOT until I'm well read and preped for it).

I'm kind of lost as to how 3rd and 4th year medical students do research while on rotations. I go to an osteopathic school where most of our rotations are scattered all over the place so staying in one place for more than a month at a time can be difficult and I assume making it pretty hard to get some solid research in. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice, experiences or anything they could PM me or share.

I've e-mailed around but have gotten mixed responses and when asked the logistics of when and how I'd join in on research I am stumped.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

H0mersimps0n said:
I just started my third year rotations. I'm starting off with a solid three months of IM and am 99% sure I want to do radiology. In reading through these forums and talking to others it appears that I might need some research to be a competitive candidate. I am 99% sure which hospital I want to do my residency at and DEFINITELY am going to do rotations there for rads (but NOT until I'm well read and preped for it).

I'm kind of lost as to how 3rd and 4th year medical students do research while on rotations. I go to an osteopathic school where most of our rotations are scattered all over the place so staying in one place for more than a month at a time can be difficult and I assume making it pretty hard to get some solid research in. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice, experiences or anything they could PM me or share.

I've e-mailed around but have gotten mixed responses and when asked the logistics of when and how I'd join in on research I am stumped.

Thanks

I did my rads research between M-1 and M-2 years. I've been fortunate enough to have it presented a couple times at some conferences. Good thing, too, because I'm still waiting for that crappy Step I score I'm sure I earned. :scared: I don't know how you'd do research during M-3 year with all the primary care stuff we have to do. :thumbdown:

Heeed! said:
I don't know how you'd do research during M-3 year with all the primary care stuff we have to do. :thumbdown:

... I don't know either which is why I asked. I do feel better that you're all set though, thanks... :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi im an osteopathic student really interested in Radiology. I am currently going into my second year, I am shadowing a couple of doctors at a relatively good radiology program. I was told today that the program is not "DO Friendly". I was kind of confused about this comment, does it mean that even if I do exceptionally well on step 1 and 2 still I wont be considered because I am a DO, and if this is the case is there any way to find allopathic radiology programs that are DO friendly. Thanks

dodo24 said:
Hi im an osteopathic student really interested in Radiology. I am currently going into my second year, I am shadowing a couple of doctors at a relatively good radiology program. I was told today that the program is not "DO Friendly". I was kind of confused about this comment, does it mean that even if I do exceptionally well on step 1 and 2 still I wont be considered because I am a DO, and if this is the case is there any way to find allopathic radiology programs that are DO friendly. Thanks

hi there! you may want to look on the specific program website to see if they have a list of residents. some programs explicitly state that they accept DO's into their program.
to improve your chances at allopathic programs, most would advise you to take the USMLE (at least step 1) in addition to COMLEX. If possible, research or publications would serve to enhance your application.
:)

thanks allot and if anyone else has any insight please let me know thanks

yeah, I'm waiting for the step 1 USMLE and COMLEX scores to roll in before I start getting agressive about contacting my program of choice (I've already scrutinized their website)...

P.S. if you have a question to ask please do not hijack others threads and start your own... thanks

Its going to be really tough to do any research during 3rd year, especially since you're moving around and worse if you don't already have any prior contacts/ research backgound. I finished data collection for several projects prior to my 3rd year of medical school that I am only now, a year later, barely able to find time to write them into papers.

I would suggest you focus on doing well and make some contacts at the program you're keen on - you could potentially start something on your christmas break and really work on it during next summer when you do actual rotations in that department.

i'm currently MS1, and also planning to squeeze in some radiology research in the first 2 years. i know it varies but generally how much time would i need in order to do some radiology research? do you think research for 3 months is enough time?

I'm betting anything that earns your name on a paper (even if it's last listed) would be enough...

...as for me, I'm researching MPH programs. I need to make myself competitive and while my grades are par and my schools rep is slightly better than average I still think an extra feather in my cap will help me seal the deal for a good (not looking for homerun) rads residency. Wish me luck...

The lowest position on the paper is penultimate not last, but I agree for most medical students that may be the best you can shoot for....unless someone is really trying to help you out. Unlikely you can just show up in a radiology department, work for a month or two and expect to be first author, especially with a bunch of MD's involved (!)...Best of luck.