Radiology Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocOfDocs

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently an MS3 @ a US allo school and trying to decide between neurology and radiology. I consider myself pretty competitive w/ >260 Step I >3.9 Gpa so far. Neuroradiology is probably what I'll end up in if I decide to do rads. I would like to know what programs have good neuroradiology fellowships and if I apply to rads how many programs I should apply to.

Another question, I'm familiar with research areas in neuro but not so much in rads. Can someone shed some light on where rads research focuses? New types of imaging? Improving existing modalities? Should you have a strong background in physics?

Also, a question that might seem silly... Last year only 2 US seniors with >260 applied to neuro. 35 US seniors with >260 applied to rads. I love neurology and I understand it's toward the low end of compensation among all MD's but is there something else about neuro that drives competitive applicants away???

Thanks for your replies

Members don't see this ad.

Also, a question that might seem silly... Last year only 2 US seniors with >260 applied to neuro. 35 US seniors with >260 applied to rads. I love neurology and I understand it's toward the low end of compensation among all MD's but is there something else about neuro that drives competitive applicants away???

Good neurorads programs? Most of the strong programs I've applied to tend to have Neuro felloiwships (they're pretty ubiquitous), however I can't comment on which are "best."

Programs to apply to? It depends on how competitive YOU are, what part of the country do you want to do your residency in, are you couples matching? I'd look at the "Charting Outcomes in the Match" to gauge.

Radiology research runs the gammut. If you're at a big instution, you may work in theoretical stuff with the double digit T MRI scanners. But there's lots of stuff with using existing modalities to answer clinical questions. Really depends on your place.

Two of the main reasons I know people didn't like Neuro was the "Diagnose and adios" aspects of the field (outside of stuff like stroke) and most people really didn't seem to enjoy localizing lesions in the day of imaging.

Last edited: