Radiology residency advice

Started by emj5g
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

emj5g

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, can someone give me a breakdown of good community programs, specifically those with university affiliates? Also, are there any university programs that accept less competitive students? I have great grades but mediocre step1, geography is not an issue.
 
I have experience with a lot of the community programs in the Northeast - New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and some others. PM me for more info.
But just to name a couple programs:
University programs - URochester is a very strong University program, but some people may think that it is in a "non-desirable" location - they interview people from all over. (even though I think Rochester is a very decent small city with a lot to offer.)
Geisinger in Danville, PA is an incredible hospital with state of the art technology and resources - but the location has a very "small town" feel to it - great for raising a family, but not ideal for single life.
 
The last few years the unfilled, less competitive programs tends to be in New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Michigan, so I would focus on those states.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mt. Auburn in Cambridge is a solid community program affiliated with Harvard. Residents go on to really good fellowships, including MGH, BWH, BI.
 
If you're looking at the west coast then Cedars-Sinai is your best bet. East Coast, I agree with Mt. Auburn in Cambridge. Both are smaller programs and extremely competitive.