Radiology Residency after IM Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indoamerican

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Need your valuable advice and suggestions.

I will start my IM residency in June 2007 in a hospital, which has Radiology Residency too. Plan to do Radiology after the 3 year IM Residency or if possible, earlier. Scores are 91/89/79. IMG from India. 3 year diverse clinical experience in Australia. 8 months of Research Experience.

1-What are my chances for a Radiology Residency after my IM residency-considering that I live in the Radiology Department
2-What about after a year or 2 of IM residency
3-What do you think I should work on
4-Any plausible strategies

Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Guys,

Need your valuable advice and suggestions.

I will start my IM residency in June 2007 in a hospital, which has Radiology Residency too. Plan to do Radiology after the 3 year IM Residency or if possible, earlier. Scores are 91/89/79. IMG from India. 3 year diverse clinical experience in Australia. 8 months of Research Experience.

1-What are my chances for a Radiology Residency after my IM residency-considering that I live in the Radiology Department
2-What about after a year or 2 of IM residency
3-What do you think I should work on
4-Any plausible strategies

Thanks for your time.
I think you have agood chance if you please radiology deptt. See everything is based on getting into the system!!
But they'll always ask you about why do you want to change your field? give them a convincing answer...
attend all the conferences, get to know the PD personally. Do well in your boards!!
I know a girl who got a Interventioanl radiology fellowship straightaway after IM residency! that happens! You have loads of opportunities!:laugh:

How do you get into an IR fellowship right after a IM categorical?

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you get into an IR fellowship right after a IM categorical?

Not to rain on your parade. But approximately 40% of IR fellowships go unfilled after the match. Some are so desperate for help they are willing to take any warm bodies to help get the work done.

Doing an IR fellowship first does not necessarily mean you will be offered a categorical spot in Dx radiology. Furthermore, you will not qualify to sit for the CAQ fellowship exam if you were to do a residency after your fellowship year.

Just like IM residencies, the cutting edge IR fellowships are still competitive. The others are not.

I don't want people to get the impression that transferring into radiology is easy, because its not. You need to be at the right place at the right time. A good friend of mine who happens to be an FMG got out of a categorical IM program and landed a radiology spot in the Northeast. Doesn't happen often, but anything is possible.

Good luck.

Not to rain on your parade. But approximately 40% of IR fellowships go unfilled after the match. Some are so desperate for help they are willing to take any warm bodies to help get the work done.

Doing an IR fellowship first does not necessarily mean you will be offered a categorical spot in Dx radiology. Furthermore, you will not qualify to sit for the CAQ fellowship exam if you were to do a residency after your fellowship year.

Just like IM residencies, the cutting edge IR fellowships are still competitive. The others are not.

I don't want people to get the impression that transferring into radiology is easy, because its not. You need to be at the right place at the right time. A good friend of mine who happens to be an FMG got out of a categorical IM program and landed a radiology spot in the Northeast. Doesn't happen often, but anything is possible.

Good luck.

So am I hearing this correctly? It's possible to do an IR fellowship without first doing Diagnostic Rad? In other words, if I wanted to be an interventional radiologist, I could do 3 years IM + IR fellowship and go out and practice IR after that? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I thought it was necessary to do DR residency first.

Sean

So am I hearing this correctly? It's possible to do an IR fellowship without first doing Diagnostic Rad? In other words, if I wanted to be an interventional radiologist, I could do 3 years IM + IR fellowship and go out and practice IR after that? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I thought it was necessary to do DR residency first.

Sean

You can do the fellowship. You can not sit for the CAQ boards which many hospitals require you to have, if you want admitting priveleges.
The majority of IR job opportunities require you to do some diagnostic work. The pure IR practices definitely want guys that are CAQ'd and would prefer people from top IR fellowships (most of which fill in the match)

Long story short, you probably wouldn't be able to find work as an interventional radiologist, unless you hang your own shingle.

I know of one person with an IM background who did an IR fellowship without dx radiology, and is now a successful IR. But he works overseas.

an fyi-

residency is paid for by medicare. each resident is offered one residency to be paid for by medicare. once you go further than your first year of residency, you are no longer eligible to work at certain programs. you get your intern year for free, however. but, if you continue onto year 2 of medicine, then, in the eyes of residency directors and medicare, they cannot fund your residency. the only exception to this is at hospitals who have over 500 residents/fellows in their programs. the office of graduate medical education has this information for you. programs will still interview you, but, you may not be eligible to participate in their residency training. be careful what you decide to do.

p

You can do the fellowship. You can not sit for the CAQ boards which many hospitals require you to have, if you want admitting priveleges.
The majority of IR job opportunities require you to do some diagnostic work. The pure IR practices definitely want guys that are CAQ'd and would prefer people from top IR fellowships (most of which fill in the match)

Long story short, you probably wouldn't be able to find work as an interventional radiologist, unless you hang your own shingle.

I know of one person with an IM background who did an IR fellowship without dx radiology, and is now a successful IR. But he works overseas.

Ahh, I thought it would be something like that. But still I'm surprised that the residency isn't required completely. Interesting fact.