Radiology Residency and Job Placement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Butters Stotch

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am an incoming medical student who is interested in radiology and had a couple of questions regarding residency and jobs. Will landing/finding a “good” job matter for community vs academic program (prestige of program)?Or will other factors matter more like luck, how well you do in residency, etc? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

The search function is your friend here.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you aren’t going to answer the question you might as well send a link this way
It's worth searching around and just reading a lot of threads. At this point the more information you consume the better. Eventually you'll have a feel for what matters to different people, because different people in different places all value different things. Sit back, observe for a while, and learn.

I'd recommend just hanging out here and on Aunt Minnie for a while and reading the posts that come through both places. You've got a long time to consider how and where you want to train. Also, if you want to see what some of this year's (and years past) residency applicants are thinking about as they go through the match, you can creep on the reddit radiology spreadsheet.

Reactions: 1 users
If you aren’t going to answer the question you might as well send a link this way

This topic has been beaten to death on this forum. I’m not really sure anyone has anything else to add that hasn’t been said already.

To try to sum up what has been said before, it depends. It matters to a degree, but not much. Local ties and networking are by far the most important factor. With all else being equal (which is rarely the case), name can make a difference. It can matter more if you’re looking to break into saturated markets in desirable cities. Especially if that area is outside the region you trained in. Some would argue fellowship name is more important, though again, it doesn’t matter all that much.

Reactions: 4 users
I will say that luck is by far the most important.

If you came out of residency in 2009-2013, you were taking night jobs or doing two fellowships, even if you trained at elite institutions

if you came out of residency in 2016-2018, you had a good chance to land pretty much any job you want, even from community programs

if you’re graduating next year, you’re gonna be facing Arguably the worst job market of all time

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
As a follow up to the last post, can any current fellows/senior residents chime in to the current job market? It was blazing hot just a few months ago. How has Covid changed things?

As a follow up to the last post, can any current fellows/senior residents chime in to the current job market? It was blazing hot just a few months ago. How has Covid changed things?

I'd be interested in hearing about the current state for fellows/senior residents who are looking as well. I'm also wondering if any fellows had accepted jobs and whether those jobs are still safe.

I will say that luck is by far the most important.

If you came out of residency in 2009-2013, you were taking night jobs or doing two fellowships, even if you trained at elite institutions

if you came out of residency in 2016-2018, you had a good chance to land pretty much any job you want, even from community programs

if you’re graduating next year, you’re gonna be facing Arguably the worst job market of all time

Citation needed.

Acr job board.

there were 1200 job postings in March. There are under 700 now, a lot of which are auto-reposts.

our practice was getting ready to hire 3-4 radiologists and now we have no intention of hiring for foreseeable future. I can’t imagine any practice that is any different.

Acr job board.

there were 1200 job postings in March. There are under 700 now, a lot of which are auto-reposts.

our practice was getting ready to hire 3-4 radiologists and now we have no intention of hiring for foreseeable future. I can’t imagine any practice that is any different.
I’m sure Radiology is not alone in this.

Radiology is far more insulated from this than other fields, tbh

Hospital based radiology, that is. ER and inpatient volumes have a very high floor

if you’re a dermatologist or orthopedic surgeon, your volumes couple have dropped to near 0 through this