dpat81

yup
10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2006
Status
Medical Student
hi...i am very interested in going into radiology, but i am limiting myself to only california programs. i think there are around 15 or 16 programs in california. my step 1 is a 244 and i have good grades and everything...is this enough apps and numbers (academically) to have a shot at matching in california??? thanks...anyone else having a similar problem?

Uncus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2004
Status
dpat81 said:
hi...i am very interested in going into radiology, but i am limiting myself to only california programs. i think there are around 15 or 16 programs in california. my step 1 is a 244 and i have good grades and everything...is this enough apps and numbers (academically) to have a shot at matching in california??? thanks...anyone else having a similar problem?

I'm in the same boat. For my wife's sake (her family all lives in California) I am similarly geographically limited. It is pretty nerve-wrecking, especially since I'm applying from a middle-of-the-road state school in the southeast. I did do my undergrad in the Bay area so hopefully this will win me some geography points. While there are 15 programs in California I believe two are limited to military folk (David Grant and the San Diego Naval) although I'm not positive about that. It still leaves somewheres around 80 (highly competitive) spots. Good luck to you.

skidmark

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2003
Visit site
Status
Docmike2006 said:
Decide if matching outside of cali is better than not matching at all.

If it is, apply more broadly!

Agree, radiology applicants apply to greater than 40 programs on average.

napoleondynamite

Keepin' it real yo
10+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
dpat81 said:
Perhaps this info will be useful to you (awesome 2005 match statistics):

http://www.uicomp.uic.edu/Students/NRMP - Charting Outcomes in the Match.pdf

scully

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 8, 1999
Big D
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]

TxMed

SpottieOttieDopalicious
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2006
Status
Medical Student
dpat81 said:

maybe consider applying in the states surrounding california. if ur wife's family is from southern cali, a program in arizona might be closer to her family than one in northern cali. conversely, if her family is from no cal than a program in oregon might be closer than many socal programs. just a thought.

tm

theprizefighter

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2003
Visit site
Status
Good pdf, napoleondynamite. Anyone have info about how MD/PhD students do in the match process for rads?

Thank you much.

BIMS 01

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 23, 2004
Status
I'm guessing matched. Page 11 shows that the distribution is for MATCHED U.S. Seniors.

Cowboy DO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2004
Wild West
Visit site
Status
yeah but the "US grads" matched USMLE was higher than the "Others" matched USMLE? You'd think it'd be the other way around.

(nicedream)

Fitter Happier
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2004
The Sea
Status
Cowboy DO said:
Was wondering if the average USMLE was for those that applied or those that matched. Im guessing applied.
The numbers in the charts at the beginning of the sections are for all applicants, than you can use the bar graphs to calculate for matched vs unmatched.

Doing so yields:

Average score for matched US seniors: 238
Average score for matched others: 228

These are somewhat of an overestimation because the graph is done by 10 point intervals, and this calculation is from the upper end of the interval.

While the average score for matched others is lower, keep in mind that the match RATE for others was 50% compared to 93% for US Seniors.

Now that I helped some people out, can someone please respond to my post in the what are my chances thread? :oops: :p

Bevo

Radiology, R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2002
in hell
Status
Resident [Any Field]
also consider the part about All Others is that they didn't have all the USMLE information because they dont receive it until the folks in AO take step 3.

So the data for others is incorrect. If you read around in there it states it.