Radiology services for radiologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RexKD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are radiologists able to make use of the services of diagnostic equipment for themselves (and family) free of charge?

Two issues:

1. Reading the scans. This obviously a radiologist can do at no cost. But let's say a friend or family member has an MRI done at a hospital, can they request that the scan be sent to you? (this will save them money as you obviously won't charge them or their insurance)

2. Using the facilities. You're a radiologist at a hospital. Can you get an MRI done and not pay the equipment fee? I find this to be unlikely as hospitals are very bureaucratic. However, if you're a radiologist at a private practive imaging center, I think it's very likely you will be able to make use of the equipment when the machine isn't in use. Am I right in my thinking?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

why are your posts all focused on "what can I do for myself and family free of charge?"

the answer to (1) is yes. they can send the scan to you for a reading, but they'll be charged the full amount at the hospital too.
(2) MRI equipment is very expensive to buy and maintain. Are you planning on abusing your own imaging equipment?

doc05 said:
why are your posts all focused on "what can I do for myself and family free of charge?"

the answer to (1) is yes. they can send the scan to you for a reading, but they'll be charged the full amount at the hospital too.
(2) MRI equipment is very expensive to buy and maintain. Are you planning on abusing your own imaging equipment?

All my posts aren't focused on doing things for my family free of charge. Only two addressed such issues and they addressed them in a purely hypothetical manner. I'm not a doctor and most likely will never become one. What I am seeking is a better grasp of the financial aspects of medicine.

One of the advantages to being a doctor is you don't have to send yourself and your family members to the doctor every time something minor comes up. If you think this is somehow abusing your authority, then so be it. However I am fairly confident the majority of doctors are willing to write themselves a script for something routine.

What percentage of radiologists in private practice use their practice's location for their own scans? I am guessing quite a few. The only radiologist I know personally does, so I am sure I am not the only one who has thought of the idea. I am posting to see just how prevalent it is. Not if it exists or doesn't, since it certainly does.