Radiology Specialty Interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prevetter64

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am strongly interested in pursuing a radiology internship/residency after vet school. I know the specialty is super competitive. I was wonder if any current radiology residents could give me some insight on what you did in terms of extracurriculars, research, etc? What was your gpa? After first year, my gpa lies around 3.6 and I’m scared that this won’t be enough. My school doesn’t let us know our class rankings. I need some insight please.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I am strongly interested in pursuing a radiology internship/residency after vet school. I know the specialty is super competitive. I was wonder if any current radiology residents could give me some insight on what you did in terms of extracurriculars, research, etc? What was your gpa? After first year, my gpa lies around 3.6 and I’m scared that this won’t be enough. My school doesn’t let us know our class rankings. I need some insight please.

Hello! I'm starting a radiology residency this coming July. I was going to PM you but it won't let me... If you want to PM me I'm happy to talk about GPA/class rank stuff with you! As far as extracurricular activities, I was an officer of a few different organizations at different times during school. The biggest thing though was that I started my school's vet radiology organization because it didn't have one before. If your school has a radiology club then hopefully you are actively involved with it. If not, consider starting one! There was not a lot of opportunity for research in areas that I was interested in during my first 3 years of school being at SGU, but when I got to fourth year rotations I reached out to radiology faculty at the school I was at and she helped me write a case report that was published last year. During my rotating internship I also wrote an imaging research paper that I was first author on, and was part of another imaging paper that my internmate was first author on, both of which are now published. I did a lot of imaging externships during school as well, both during summer breaks and during my fourth year rotations. I did some at private practices and some at other vet schools. Really the best thing you can do is make connections with radiologists, and the best ones are going to be the ones at your school. Radiology is an extremely small field, even smaller amongst those in academia and only growing smaller, and obviously the people in charge of choosing residents are for the most part those in academia. You want people on your side who know people and can vouch for you and write great recommendation letters when the time comes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hello! I'm starting a radiology residency this coming July. I was going to PM you but it won't let me... If you want to PM me I'm happy to talk about GPA/class rank stuff with you! As far as extracurricular activities, I was an officer of a few different organizations at different times during school. The biggest thing though was that I started my school's vet radiology organization because it didn't have one before. If your school has a radiology club then hopefully you are actively involved with it. If not, consider starting one! There was not a lot of opportunity for research in areas that I was interested in during my first 3 years of school being at SGU, but when I got to fourth year rotations I reached out to radiology faculty at the school I was at and she helped me write a case report that was published last year. During my rotating internship I also wrote an imaging research paper that I was first author on, and was part of another imaging paper that my internmate was first author on, both of which are now published. I did a lot of imaging externships during school as well, both during summer breaks and during my fourth year rotations. I did some at private practices and some at other vet schools. Really the best thing you can do is make connections with radiologists, and the best ones are going to be the ones at your school. Radiology is an extremely small field, even smaller amongst those in academia and only growing smaller, and obviously the people in charge of choosing residents are for the most part those in academia. You want people on your side who know people and can vouch for you and write great recommendation letters when the time comes.
I PMed you!