Radiology to radiation oncology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don’t think there is a standalone nucs anymore as it folded into dr. Can only go through dr? Seems like roadmap for our future.
Still a subforum under rads but this thread suggests it is still a separate specialty as well.

Boggles the mind

Members don't see this ad.

Luckily, our demand is currently sky high.
Changes everything. Been said here a million times.

I am looking at telehealth solutions for medical oncology. Why? Because demand is so high. Prospective docs now dictating their schedules during interviews.

The locums environment is a great gauge of demand. This may be skewed a bit in radiology as there is such a significant remote rads market anyway, but in most fields, locums market and associated cost is the data point that admins understand the best.

Reactions: 2 users
I don’t think there is a standalone nucs anymore as it folded into dr. Can only go through dr? Seems like roadmap for our future.
Standalone NM residencies exist. They should be shut down. They basically only exist to allow FMGs a backdoor into Radiology.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am looking at telehealth solutions for medical oncology. Why? Because demand is so high. Prospective docs now dictating their schedules during interviews.

A hospital CEO told me med oncs are requesting >90% MGMA-tile salary, extrapolated to be 99%-tile. Said he couldn't get it through compliance committee. You think a rad onc requesting a 1.2M salary for an employed job would even be presented to compliance committee? What about not laughed out of the room?

I applied for a job in a very desirable location once and a partner actually emailed me saying how competitive it was and thanks for applying, but basically they would never consider somebody like me. Why not? I'm BC, extremely efficient and productive, and take pride in delivering high quality care. My patients love me. But my C.V. does not say Harvard and/or MD Anderson on it. That's the stupid game we play.

Candidates must have top tier training, a drive to continue to grow an already successful department, excellent interpersonal skills, and a strong work ethic.

This must be a common thing. Don't bother applying if not an MDACC grad.

A hospital CEO told me med oncs are requesting >90% MGMA-tile salary, extrapolated to be 99%-tile. Said he couldn't get it through compliance committee. You think a rad onc requesting a 1.2M salary for an employed job would even be presented to compliance committee? What about not laughed out of the room?

True story. I sat down at a bar the other day in the Denver airport. Pulled out my laptop and started to go through the recent Red Journal articles out of boredom. The girl sitting next to me goes are you an oncologist?!? I'm the medical director for such and such hospital in the pathology department. We are really trying to build up our medical oncology service line. Have you every considered working in the Denver area? Let me give you my card. But sadly, I had to admit I was only a lowly rad onc. Of course, place was already fully staffed in the rad onc dept.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users
The new thing in medonc locums is 1-2 week/month availability with consideration of 3-6 month contracts. There is a reason for this. This is the best lifestyle schedule for many people. You cannot have an expectation of patient continuity with this level of availability. All of your problems become everyone else's with this level of availability. Many households can essentially maintain business as usual in any location in the country with one partner away at 1-2 weeks/month.

It is also a schedule that may be needed with presently employed medoncs leveraging this market for more time off.

Could you imagine a market where there were multiple opportunities for you to provide 1-2 weeks/month service with compensation at the levels of the present medonc locums market and enough security in the locums market that you will be getting a reasonable stream of revenue indefinitely?

This is where we are. Many fields, including some in medicine, are actively participating in the whole "redefining work" phenomenom.

This is not for us.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
They still have to pay a locums tho

And if they are paying CompHealth, the fee to them is super high. Say it 25% - that’s 260/4 = 65 coverage days. $2k to doc, $700 to CH. That’s >$150k.

I’m not saying you’re not telling the truth. This sounds bat****.

As I said, the hospital hated it, both because it cost them a little extra and I was a "one off" contract, and their favorite thing in the whole world is having every employed physician with the exact same contract terms. Those are example numbers, but if you take my salary + what they paid the locums (negotiated directly, I don't know the rate but I think it was around 2500 -- agency would have been 3k+) it came out close to the pro collections for the clinic. If you add on my benefits, it's likely they were eating into tech a little bit to supplement. But still it's not like they weren't making a ton of money off the department.

I honestly don't know why this is such a big deal. You want to know what they went to instead? Instead of having a doctor there 70-80% of time who consistently did > 95% of the treatments and a lower paid LINAC babysitter on off days, they went to a dual locums model where 2 temp doctors alternate weeks. So they've got 50/50 coverage now where they are splitting work with an agency to fill in when they aren't available. Patients get inconsistent treatment but maybe they save a little bit of money this way, which pleases the bean counters.

Hospitals would have far happier "employed" doctors if they would be willing to deviate from the model where doctors are treated the same way as the HR manager, the maintenance supervisor, the cafeteria director, etc where they own their physical presence 8-5 M-F with an allotted number of vacation days and instead let them customize their schedules as they see fit.

Reactions: 4 users
We are really trying to build up our medical oncology service line.
Man I hate when they refer to a doctor's practice as their "service line." If I had the leverage med oncs have currently, this statement would be an instant deal breaker.

• Love
Man I hate when they refer to a doctor's practice as their "service line." If I had the leverage med oncs have currently, this statement would be an instant deal breaker.

That's what they call it where I currently work too, lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Man I hate when they refer to a doctor's provider's practice as their "service line." If I had the leverage med oncs have currently, this statement would be an instant deal breaker.

FTFY.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The better question is if this is a legit place. What is known about the practice? Shady? I feel like so many florida places are just a total scam

The better question is if this is a legit place. What is known about the practice? Shady? I feel like so many florida places are just a total scam
will be legit place, this could be the best available job in FL right now imho. And Florida is prob the best/hottest job market in rad onc right now.

There are some several hospital gigs that aren't scams.... TGH, Advent and CCF all hiring in FL off the top of my head

When I think of Florida I think about drugs, the show cops, geriatric swingers, Jeffrey Epstein and Medicare fraud/pill mills.

When I think of Florida I think about drugs, the show cops, geriatric swingers, Jeffrey Epstein and Medicare fraud/pill mills.
I think about missing nuclear documents and angry men in ill fitting suits.

I also think of GDP growth better than the national average and #7 of states with population growth in 2022. Smart to look for jobs where growth is occurring, and who are we kidding: Florida has always been fertile ground for cancer growth. Boomers gonna boom down there.

Reactions: 7 users
I also think of GDP growth better than the national average and #7 of states with population growth in 2022. Smart to look for jobs where growth is occurring, and who are we kidding: Florida has always been fertile ground for cancer growth. Boomers gonna boom down there.

Unlike Texas and Mississippi, also home to developed power and water infrastructure, respectively

There are some several hospital gigs that aren't scams.... TGH, Advent and CCF all hiring in FL off the top of my head
Thats good so if it is a good practice, then probably everyone applying so good luck to whoever gets it. They can probably get whoever they want: BC, 5+ year proton and clinical experience. Maybe a Jay like character will get job.

Thats good so if it is a good practice, then probably everyone applying so good luck to whoever gets it. They can probably get whoever they want: BC, 5+ year proton and clinical experience. Maybe a Jay like character will get job.
Not going to lie, these aren't going to be easy to snag as a fresh grad. You are correct. Going to want BC with experience, unless we are talking jobs in the boonies. I think the Stuart, winter Haven and Vero jobs might hire a new grad

Unlike Texas and Mississippi, also home to developed power and water infrastructure, respectively
Well down here in Texas we did have 100+ degree heat for more than 30 days in a row, and not once did the governor tell me to reduce my electricity usage at any time. Maybe we can spread some of that knowledge west to California.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Smart to look for jobs where growth is occurring
Very important, especially regarding some of these rural/semi-rural/small city jobs in areas with population decline. A significant number of these hospitals and practices are just going to disappear under your feet.

Reactions: 3 users
Very important, especially regarding some of these rural/semi-rural/small city jobs in areas with population decline. A significant number of these hospitals and practices are just going to disappear under your feet.
Yup. I’m feeling that where I am.

Not going to lie, these aren't going to be easy to snag as a fresh grad. You are correct. Going to want BC with experience, unless we are talking jobs in the boonies. I think the Stuart, winter Haven and Vero jobs might hire a new grad

This is what Im watching closely this year as this class ramps up applying. The job market this year appears good, but is it really that good if you are a new grad? One about a new grad from what people perceive as "mid" and "low" tier programs? Not so sure...

Here's looking at you upstate NY and and the rural Midwest

Millennials, with their avocado toast and not pumping out enough children to keep the population stable...

Can always let some more people in at the border.

Millennials in general will go down as just another disappointing generation who subsequent generations envy only because their prospects will likely be even worse.

Millennials even parts of Gen X probably would propagate like rabbits if given enough wealth and stability. But alas they will probably have to wait for their boomer parents to die which won’t happen until most of the millennial women are in their late 40s/50s and can’t have kids and even the then the they’ll probably have spent most of it and the govt wants 50% of the rest.

I’m curious at what point does an entire generation just say **** it because despite all this I still see wayy too much optimism.

Millennials, with their avocado toast and not pumping out enough children to keep the population stable...
US hasn't pumped out enough kids since 1972. We need the immigrants!

As a gen-Xer, I'm foreseeing big time change in the next 20 years as boomers die. Gen-X is a small generation. Millennials are much more diverse than preceding generations because of immigration reform.

Millennials even parts of Gen X probably would propagate like rabbits if given enough wealth and stability.
It's the poor that populate the earth. Rich sometimes do their share, but they are a tiny fraction of society. It's the middle class for whom an extra kid means a decrease in lifestyle. Much of Europe and wealthy Asia struggle with population decline.

Middle class and rich Americans go to where the weather is warm and the taxes low when they retire/get cancer.

I'm retiring to VT.

That is what I thought... but IPs are in different continents so....

Regardless, not a positive contributor to the forum...
It really seemed like him. Glad he used a VPN! I was thinking, man, he’s gotta be smarter than using same IP.

What did he do to get revoked so quick?

It really seemed like him.

What did he do to get revoked so quick?

Personal attacks with IP matching previously banned account for same.

The match wasn't with jondunn, but I'm not going into more detail.

Some of the trolls here use VPNs. So even for me it's hard to know which troll is which.

Keeps it entertaining anyway :laugh:

• Haha
  • Love
US hasn't pumped out enough kids since 1972. We need the immigrants!

As a gen-Xer, I'm foreseeing big time change in the next 20 years as boomers die. Gen-X is a small generation. Millennials are much more diverse than preceding generations because of immigration reform.

It's the poor that populate the earth. Rich sometimes do their share, but they are a tiny fraction of society. It's the middle class for whom an extra kid means a decrease in lifestyle. Much of Europe and wealthy Asia struggle with population decline.

Middle class and rich Americans go to where the weather is warm and the taxes low when they retire/get cancer.

I'm retiring to VT.

These days getting married and having kids is a status symbol and not a burden for the poor anymore.

"In The End of the World is Just the Beginning, author and geopolitical strategist Peter Zeihan maps out the next world: a world where countries or regions will have no choice but to make their own goods, grow their own food, secure their own energy, fight their own battles, and do it all with populations that are both shrinking and aging"

That book also seems to suggest having more than 2 children would be an act of patriotic duty rather than conspicuous consumption

These days getting married and having kids is a status symbol and not a burden for the poor anymore.
Getting married is definitely a status symbol. Having kids?

I agree that among our crowd (the highly educated) it is rare to see 4 or more kids unless you are loaded or from certain religious communities.

But lots of kids born to poor families and there will be more.

Amazon product

This book makes the claim that US in better shape demographically than most other countries

Absolutely, Japan very ****ed, selling more adult than peds diapers, China screwed itself with its disastrous one child policy now is trying to backpedal.

US unfortunately needs to address immigration reform yesterday, our birth rate isn't adequate enough either

I can say confidently that one thing the Earth doesn't need more of is people.

The one's already here are doing a very fine job destroying it.