Radiology topics best for research.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derm83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to start contacting programs to join research projects, but I'd like to know first if certain topics are best to yield more publications; IR, Neurorad..etc?

I'd appreciate any input.

Members don't see this ad.

There's really no one "field" that would have the best chance of getting published. A better indication is the publication record and grant magnitude of the PI and other people working on a project, as well as their preliminary results, as to whether or not they're getting published, and if so, the relative level of "prestige" to be found in the publication their work lands in. If you're looking to get published, I would recommend finding a project more akin to what you're comfortable doing and what you understand, as that would most facilitate the lab desiring to take you onto the project, as well as the amount and length of training they'd have to provide you, as well as your potential to contribute to the project.

Thanks for your reply Dimoak. Mind my ignorance, but what should I expect from a research in Rad? To be honest, I don't think I want to join a research in basic science or one that needs a lot of work in labs. I don't have much background with rad research, but won't it much about data collection?

Of course, I can discuss these issues with the mentor once I find an opportunity, but I'm just trying to have some heads up.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's really a lot of variation in what may go on in a Rads research project. You may find yourself doing a wide assortment of things, from computer programming and physics problems, to sorting and processing studies, to statistical data analysis, to organizing grant applications, and maybe even some basic-science type routines like blots, PCR, etc. It really depends on your PI, their lab's style, what they're working on, and where they feel you may be most useful based on your skills and experience.

There's really a lot of variation in what may go on in a Rads research project. You may find yourself doing a wide assortment of things, from computer programming and physics problems, to sorting and processing studies, to statistical data analysis, to organizing grant applications, and maybe even some basic-science type routines like blots, PCR, etc. It really depends on your PI, their lab's style, what they're working on, and where they feel you may be most useful based on your skills and experience.

Thanks Dimoak.

On a separate note, I'm thinking about what other options whould make me a stronger applicant to Rads...Do you think a Nuclear Medicine residency would? Research can be very painful as I might end up doing unpaid research for 2 years and then fail to match. At least with NM I'll have a job in three years.

I'd like to start contacting programs to join research projects, but I'd like to know first if certain topics are best to yield more publications; IR, Neurorad..etc?

I'd appreciate any input.

Your username suggests an interest in derm. Why the change of heart for rads?

Thanks Dimoak.

On a separate note, I'm thinking about what other options whould make me a stronger applicant to Rads...Do you think a Nuclear Medicine residency would? Research can be very painful as I might end up doing unpaid research for 2 years and then fail to match. At least with NM I'll have a job in three years.
I would not recommend doing a Nuclear Medicine residency for the purpose of matching into Radiology. I'm not sure where you are in your education, or whether you are studying in the U.S. or Canada, because most medical students here who are doing research do it during school, and so the vast majority are doing unpaid research (it's mostly an academic component at school).

I would not recommend doing a Nuclear Medicine residency for the purpose of matching into Radiology. I'm not sure where you are in your education, or whether you are studying in the U.S. or Canada, because most medical students here who are doing research do it during school, and so the vast majority are doing unpaid research (it's mostly an academic component at school).

I'm a non-US medical student who's about to graduate from a foreign country. I want to apply to Rads, but I wanna make myself a stronger applicant.

I'm thinking about research and recently NM. What's the drawback of doing NM? Won't it make me a such a more competitive applicant?

My only fear is to spend 1-2 years doing unpaid research and fail to match and end up in a non-competitive speciality that I could've matched into right from the beginning.

I'm a non-US medical student who's about to graduate from a foreign country. I want to apply to Rads, but I wanna make myself a stronger applicant.

I'm thinking about research and recently NM. What's the drawback of doing NM? Won't it make me a such a more competitive applicant?

My only fear is to spend 1-2 years doing unpaid research and fail to match and end up in a non-competitive speciality that I could've matched into right from the beginning.
The best way for a non-US medical student to match into a U.S. Rads residency is to do exceptionally well on the USMLE, be able to interview well, and in this case, strong publications can significantly bolster the application as well. Don't do a NM residency if you don't actually want to be a NM practitioner and are only interested in it because you think it'll improve your chances of matching NM; if you're dismissed from the NM residency, then your chances of matching Radiology will plummet much further than had you not done that at all.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

Last edited: