Radiology unmatched list 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PSamP

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So with the list of all matched people in rads, lets make a list for us unmatched in radiology with our stats.
My stats: MD/PhD, AMG
Applied with step 1, >240
Ranked three top programs only, went unmatched and was a bit surprised.
Your turn please!

Members don't see this ad.

May I ask why? You don't seem to be too concerned.

ranked 3 top programs only.....?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wtf, why did you only rank 3 programs. Even if they were all mid or lower tier programs, that's a gamble buddy. Whyyyyyyy

So with the list of all matched people in rads, lets make a list for us unmatched in radiology with our stats.
Your turn please!

Dumb. Hope you had success in the SOAP.

how often does someone with over a 240 not match, even if they apply broadly? barring a situation like yours, sorry about that..

Your turn please!

I initially went into rads before switching residencies, and I did the same thing as the OP - only ranked 3 programs, matched to #2. It's doable.

I initially went into rads before switching residencies, and I did the same thing as the OP - only ranked 3 programs, matched to #2. It's doable.

who cares if it's doable. why would you do that and risk your future

Reactions: 1 users

Why did you leave rads? Or did you just change programs?

240+ Step 1 and I matched in my 9th ranked program. Not sure about anyone else.

Also 240+ Step 1 and matched at my number 6. In fact very few rads people I know actually matched at their number 1 this year. Super excited though to be at this program despite it being my #6!

I think this year programs were interviewing more people per spot so there were lots of applicants ranking the same programs in their top 5 or 10.

Members don't see this ad :)
240s on both steps, matched #3 and very grateful to match. This is a tough year. Congrats to everyone that matched!

I am a chief resident at a strong mid-sized academic center and am involved in the ranking process. We DO NOT use Step scores for ranking applications beyond two factors.

1. lower than 220, we are less likely to rank highly.
2. If DO or FMG, need>240 to rank.

Our top 10 rankings ranged from 219-265 on Step 1. Attendings care far more about personality than scores, as they have to work with residents for 4 years. Other residencies may care more about Step scores. However, I would say to all those interviewing next year, ----->> your INTERVIEWING SKILLS MATTER MORE THAN EVERYTHING ELSE COMBINED!!! I am pretty confident this holds true for the vast majority of radiology programs.

Reactions: 2 users
I am a chief resident at a strong mid-sized academic center and am involved in the ranking process. We DO NOT use Step scores for ranking applications beyond two factors.

Our top 10 rankings ranged from 219-265 on Step 1. Attendings care far more about personality than scores, as they have to work with residents for 4 years. Other residencies may care more about Step scores. However, I would say to all those interviewing next year, ----->> your INTERVIEWING SKILLS MATTER MORE THAN EVERYTHING ELSE COMBINED!!! I am pretty confident this holds true for the vast majority of radiology programs.

I am also heavily involved in interviewing and in the ranking process, including insider faculty discussions of candidates.

USMLE scores continue to play a critical role in the admissions process to radiology residency, even during and after the interview.

Prior to the interview, we are given a folder with the candidate's scores in clear view. Not only does this influence the perception of the candidate during the interview, the scores play a central role in ranking candidates afterward. While it is possible to have a below average score and be ranked toward the top, the odds are heavily stacked against you.

Most faculty comments about a particular candidate include specific mention of their scores and often, their medical school reputation and overall medical school performance. Some faculty will even dig into a candidate's Dean's letter and mention specific excerpts from it during the round-table discussion.

While it is possible to shine during an interview, it is more likely for the interview to have a neutral or negative effect on a candidate's application.

A lot of hearsay seems to state that programs don't care about Step 2 scores, unless you do significantly worse than on Step 1. However, if your step 1 is average (230-240), will getting a significantly higher Step 2 score (>250) be enough to overcome this and get a look at good programs?

I got a 219 on Step 1. I'm just curious how much difference 219 is to 220 in the eyes of the residency committee.

I got a 219 on Step 1. I'm just curious how much difference 219 is to 220 in the eyes of the residency committee.

See the USMLE score interpretation guide:

Measurement error is present on all tests, and the standard error of measurement (SEM) provides an index of the imprecision of scores. Using the SEM, it is possible to calculate a score interval that indicates how much a score might vary across repeated testing using different sets of items covering similar content. Plus and minus one SEM represents an interval that will encompass about two thirds of the observed scores for an examinee’s given true score. Currently, the SEM is approximately 5 for Step 1 and 6 points for Steps 2CK and 3.

The standard error of difference (SED) in scores is an index used to assess whether the difference between two scores is statistically meaningful. If the scores received by two examinees differ by two or more SEDs, it is likely that the examinees are different in their proficiency. Currently, the SED is approximately 7 points for Step 1, 9 points for Step 2CK, and 8 points for Step 3.

Last edited:
A lot of hearsay seems to state that programs don't care about Step 2 scores, unless you do significantly worse than on Step 1. However, if your step 1 is average (230-240), will getting a significantly higher Step 2 score (>250) be enough to overcome this and get a look at good programs?

Assuming the rest of your application is solid, you will get some interviews at top 25 type programs with that Step 1 score even without a step 2 ck score in hand.

Seems to be a very bi-modal perception of rads right now. People with 240s not matching and people with 250s matching their 6th, 9th choice? On other threads and other places on SDN people are saying " If you have a pulse you'll match somewhere"

Rads is a dichotomy. One the one hand, you have programs that are extremely competitive and difficult to match into but on the other hand you have lots of community programs/PP programs that just about anyone can get if they want them. The people not matching are those who refused to rank any of the lower tier ones as "safeties." I don't blame them honestly, I just feel like it does make sense overall.

Rads is a dichotomy. One the one hand, you have programs that are extremely competitive and difficult to match into but on the other hand you have lots of community programs/PP programs that just about anyone can get if they want them. The people not matching are those who refused to rank any of the lower tier ones as "safeties." I don't blame them honestly, I just feel like it does make sense overall.

you rather not match than go to a crappy community program?

I am also heavily involved in interviewing and in the ranking process, including insider faculty discussions of candidates.

USMLE scores continue to play a critical role in the admissions process to radiology residency, even during and after the interview.

Prior to the interview, we are given a folder with the candidate's scores in clear view. Not only does this influence the perception of the candidate during the interview, the scores play a central role in ranking candidates afterward. While it is possible to have a below average score and be ranked toward the top, the odds are heavily stacked against you.

Most faculty comments about a particular candidate include specific mention of their scores and often, their medical school reputation and overall medical school performance. Some faculty will even dig into a candidate's Dean's letter and mention specific excerpts from it during the round-table discussion.

While it is possible to shine during an interview, it is more likely for the interview to have a neutral or negative effect on a candidate's application.

This.

From my experience during those meetings, I was more likely to hear why someone wasn't a good fit [due to concerns about scores, med school grades, interview quirks/personality, low probability to eventually publish (my PD is a sucker for research), etc.] vs. someone being a perfect fit.

Last edited:
Former chief as well, involved in interviews.

We did something interesting at my program: half of the interviewers had step 1 score and LOR's, the other half had nothing (purely interview impression). When we met to discuss, we often found that the group who had access to step 1 scores generally ranked the higher scores higher (and this bias was across the board no matter how we split the two groups up). To balance this bias, we doubled the overall weight we gave to the interview impression in the final ranking process.

Simplified: 1/3 (step 1 score plus LOR's) + 2/3 (interview impression only) = final ranking

It worked well, as we felt we had strong classes consistently.

Reactions: 1 user
Former chief as well, involved in interviews.

We did something interesting at my program: half of the interviewers had step 1 score and LOR's, the other half had nothing (purely interview impression). When we met to discuss, we often found that the group who had access to step 1 scores generally ranked the higher scores higher (and this bias was across the board no matter how we split the two groups up). To balance this bias, we doubled the overall weight we gave to the interview impression in the final ranking process.

Simplified: 1/3 (step 1 score plus LOR's) + 2/3 (interview impression only) = final ranking

It worked well, as we felt we had strong classes consistently.

Your biased interview impression correlates with your subjective impression of the strength of the residents? Interesting.

Do you interview DO or FMGs with <240?