Radiology vs Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

b333b

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am most interested in general surgery but i definitely couldnt do it because of the hard work required. i think no matter how interesting the job, i would never enjoy it if i worked >60hrs/wk. i am really interested in sports, sleeping, etc. and i am supposed to apply to med schools this summer, but perhaps i should reconsider and go into general dentistry?
i wonder if someone suffered through 4 yrs of medschool(suffer because you have to do well on step1, research,etc), would he then at least have amiable working conditions as a radiology resident? or would he get pimped for another 5yrs? i mean does it become much easier after u finish your step1?

Members don't see this ad.

i am most interested in general surgery but i definitely couldnt do it because of the hard work required. i think no matter how interesting the job, i would never enjoy it if i worked >60hrs/wk. i am really interested in sports, sleeping, etc. and i am supposed to apply to med schools this summer, but perhaps i should reconsider and go into general dentistry?
i wonder if someone suffered through 4 yrs of medschool(suffer because you have to do well on step1, research,etc), would he then at least have amiable working conditions as a radiology resident? or would he get pimped for another 5yrs? i mean does it become much easier after u finish your step1?

hahahahahahahahahahahaha. I don't see anything easy ahead of me. Then again, if it were easy, it wouldn't be worth doing.

You know, I met a bum on the street today who professed similar interests :laugh:

Do something else. If that's truly what you're interested in, you shouldn't be getting close to any patients. Even if it's just their teeth.

Members don't see this ad :)

Those who don't capitalize are not fit for professional school.

...I totally saw this coming.

SDN, such a rough crowd..:)

I think getting to step 1 is the easy part but thats just my opinion.

Dude,

Go with dentistry. I would have gone that route if I had a time machine. Even general dentistry isn't that bad. You can still do endo and ortho work as a general dentist.

Dude,

Go with dentistry. I would have gone that route if I had a time machine. Even general dentistry isn't that bad. You can still do endo and ortho work as a general dentist.

agreed... 4 years of school, 1 year of residency = 200K, go to state school, pay state tuition, work 40 hrs/wk, go home play with your kids... dentistry is a different culture. They don't torture their students/residents as much as in medicine. I always hear those things about dentists and suicide but I never met a dentist who didn't love his/her job.

i am most interested in general surgery but i definitely couldnt do it because of the hard work required. ithink no matter how interesting the job, i would never enjoy it if i worked >60hrs/wk. i am really interested in sports, sleeping, etc. and i am supposed to apply to med schools this summer, but perhaps i should reconsider and go into general dentistry?

i don't know why everyone is hating on this guy.... i started med school with the same ambitions, of course this is why i am in radiology now. There are a few fields of medicine that afford a good lifestyle relative to pay. Most of them are very hard to get, depending on your test-taking abilities. I would say if you can get a 33+ on the MCAT, you probably have a fair shot at doing well on step 1 and getting one of these competitive fields.

i considered dentistry, but ultimately decided against it. i am not sure if this was the wisest decision, but i wanted 1) more of an academic challenge, 2) didn't consider digging in someone's mouth to be that interesting, 3) medicine had a higher income potential, 3) i didnt know the patients would be like the patients in the house of god. I would say if you like going to lecture and taking tests, third year is the worst year, and gets better after that, especially once you get into radiology. Just realize, that you will unfortunately have to deal with all the tender loving patient care first. Honestly, if you think you can stand dealing with the mouth and whatnot, then go for dentistry. it is a good field.

The best thing about dentistry is that they were very smart to not get into bed with the govt. I get a mailing from AMA every month to lobby Congress to not cut reimbursements by 10% every year. That's just not right. They cut imaging reimbursements by 30% with the DRA. But no field is really safe except the cash-based one. One year, radiology gets screwed, next year, it's someone else. It never ends because Social Security and Medicare are going broke. Then, you have those freaking midlevels who petition politicians to let them do everything physicians can. Radiology is fortunate that we don't have a midlevel problem like anesthesiology, although we do have the RA's and RPA's trying to do so. Our biggest problem now is stopping other fields from doing their own imaging.

My gf is a dental student. She says that grads get between $M150-$200k starting, after 4 years of dental school where they work 9-5, no call. Keep in mind that general surgeons on average make $250k after 4 years of medical school and 5 years of residency hell and yet they still have sh*tty lifestyles. As a dentist, you can make doctor money if you do a dental residency like ortho or endo. An OMFS buddy of mine said his ortho gf was offered $300k for 3 days of work per week. My gf is planning to do general dentistry and doing most of the endo and ortho work herself after doing some courses. Her aunt did this and is making mad money.

OP, I would go with dentistry if you are concerned about sports and sleeping. Dentists make great money and they do not have to worry about getting a residency position. Dental school is NOT easy, but once you are out, you are making good money. If you go the med school route, you are not guaranteed a radiology position.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many dentists I talk to are really heart broken they didn't get their MD, in fact, they sometimes allude to shedding a tear while they guide their yacht to their next vacation destination.

If prestige is the driving force behind your decision, then I hope 4-5 years of residency is worth the difference (and remember the difference is between two well respected fields)

But, there is something to be said for the enthusiasm Apache has.

If you get into one of the $$ specialties, then you will certainly have a higher potential than if you did general dentistry. But then again, if you are really driven, why not do dentistry, and get accepted to a 6 year OMFS program, where you are awarded your MD. Then you can have the prestige and a high paying job.*

*if it were all that easy I'd be triple boarded by now.

Sorry Apache, but I couldn't care less about the initials after my name. Maybe big frank is right and you really are that insecure?

Don't get me wrong, I like your style. Heck, I was the one to start the whole post about going into rads just b/c of you, but if having the initials DDS instead of MD after your name makes you feel inferior, then your balls aren't as big as I originally imagined.........

MD has more prestige than DDS.

However, after writing H&P's and daily notes, the grind of rounding, realizing that overnight call is just hell, thinking that the govt can cut my salary by 30% overnight, experiencing annoying patients and obnoxious physicians and nurses, I would gladly give up that prestige to be able to go to school for 4 years, work pretty much 9-5 and no call during those years, make 200k starting, still have 9-5 and no call when I practice, and no freaking midlevels to worry about.

Everybody is calling themselves "doctor" these days and trying to play physician. The pharmd's, DPT's, DNP's. Physician is losing its prestige factor.

If you consider the nature of the work itself, dentistry is most likely much more boring than radiology.

Also, I believe as a field, dentistry is much more saturated than radiology (although I may be wrong about this).

If you consider the nature of the work itself, dentistry is most likely much more boring than radiology.

Also, I believe as a field, dentistry is much more saturated than radiology (although I may be wrong about this).

It's true where I'm from. Dentists are a dime a dozen.

I have a better question for you guys, where the hell is the OP?

Sorry Apache...
Maybe big frank is right and you really are that insecure?

Don't get me wrong, I like your style. Heck, I was the one to start the whole post about going into rads just b/c of you, but if having the initials DDS instead of MD after your name makes you feel inferior, then your balls aren't as big as I originally imagined.........

:smuggrin:

I have a better question for you guys, where the hell is the OP?
thank you all for the replies. i've read a lot on several forums. i have more questions to ask and i'll return in about 6wks. i just signed up for mcat and i still have to study biology and complete a lot of practice tests.

just to add to some of the issues discussed here:
1) endo residency is 2yrs, not 1. it is extremely competitive. it defeats the purpose of going to dental school because you are stressed out about grades the entire 4yrs(and just like with radiology there is no guarantee you'll get AOA even if you give it 100%). endodontists are not as autonomous, they depend on other dentists to send them patients. general dentists can do endo and even anesthesia+molar removal if they feel they're good enough to do it. they can also do regular cavities and other things things to add variety.
2) i dont think i would get into my state dental school it is very competitive. but i might get into schools in california. UoP is only 3yrs long and it's located 2hrs from the sierra mountains. and after those 3yrs i could be making enough to make a living. USC is another very expensive school but girls there are all right? for med schools, i will only apply to certain schools in northeast and i'd have to travel 6hrs to visit my ugrad:(
3) i agree m.d. vs d.d.s. does matter. but to what extent, i am not sure. i would gladly discuss this after june13th.
4) one advantage of m.d. that you failed to mention: if during dental school or soon after i decide that i am not good at dentistry i kind of half to kill myself? but if in ms3 i find out that i dont have the scores or the interest in radiology, there are still many other specialties that are completely different and could possibly suit me.

It's true where I'm from. Dentists are a dime a dozen.

Agreed. There is a dentist office on every freakin street over here...a chiro office is usually not far :smuggrin:

Agreed. There is a dentist office on every freakin street over here...a chiro office is usually not far :smuggrin:

Crazy dentists. I've had a grudge against them ever since I went to this one office and they told me I had 6 fillings and they only did the "white" fillings that my insurance didnt cover. So I went to the student dentist clinic where it's cheap and lord and behold they said (the professor), "Are you sure they told u u had 6 cavities? I dont see any on Xray or on exam". !#$@&^$*@^
I was about to go ballistic.

Crazy dentists. I've had a grudge against them ever since I went to this one office and they told me I had 6 fillings and they only did the "white" fillings that my insurance didnt cover. So I went to the student dentist clinic where it's cheap and lord and behold they said (the professor), "Are you sure they told u u had 6 cavities? I dont see any on Xray or on exam". !#$@&^$*@^
I was about to go ballistic.

That is messed up. What did you do?

That is messed up. What did you do?

Whoa lets not dentist bash here.

Here's some food for thought...
In western europe, Dentistry enjoys a similar status to dermatology in the states. In europe dermatologists treat VD, so its not as popular a field for medical students compared to here in the states.

Dentistry is not subject to national health care and is reimbursed from private insurance-- so dentists make more than the average MD. In Europe admission to Dental school is more competitive than medical school.

OK not to play on stereotypes but thanks to the level of dentistry in the states our teeth are less jacked up than the average Brit's or Japanese's.

With this last post in mind I'd say you have to be careful if you plan to go to dentistry for the $$$$. These things change in cycles. What is now popular or very much needed may not be in 10-20 years. Dentists will eventually take a hit. Nothing can grow forever.

With this last post in mind I'd say you have to be careful if you plan to go to dentistry for the $$$$. These things change in cycles. What is now popular or very much needed may not be in 10-20 years. Dentists will eventually take a hit. Nothing can grow forever.

I'd echo that sentiment re: anything with high pay.

The larger the pay, the larger the target.

I've talked to my gf a lot about the possibility of midlevels in dentistry. As I see it, it would take some time for them to really affect the profession since the idea is still relatively new. Dentistry should still be decent for next 20 or more years. Probably by the time she retires, dentistry will really suck. I would still do dentistry over medicine as of this moment.

In europe dermatologists treat VD, so its not as popular a field for medical students compared to here in the states.

Speaking of derms, since when is acne so great to look at every day? Plastics I can understand, but I will never understand why derms is so popular in this country. It is dead last when I rank my interests, and yet it is the hardest specialty to match into.

MD has more prestige than DDS.

This keeps coming up in this thread. Just remember there are radiologists who are DOs too. Does a DO have more prestige than a DMD? Not sure, since Joe Average from the street would not likely be able to define either degree. If anything, the DMD sounds more "medical" and prestigious than the DO.

Not to mention that some DMD/DDS professions are more prestigious than some MD/DO professions. For instance, which is more prestigious: being an oral surgeon or being a family doctor? A lot of people think being a "surgeon" is more prestigious than being a "doctor", and those surgeons have a DDS or DMD.

--------
This all being said, what does prestige really matter in the long run? It might be important when you are pursuing your future wife, but even then your prospects have more to do with your looks, intellect, and charm than "what you're going to be when you grow up".

At the end of the day (or at the end of your life) prestige won't have mattered much to your life. What's going to matter is if you did what you enjoyed, and who you surrounded yourself with, and how your kids turned out.

For instance, which is more prestigious: being an oral surgeon or being a family doctor? A lot of people think being a "surgeon" is more prestigious than being a "doctor", and those surgeons have a DDS or DMD.

What's your definition of "oral surgeon"? Are you referring to OMFS? They have to get an MD so their degrees are MD, DDS.

What's your definition of "oral surgeon"? Are you referring to OMFS? They have to get an MD so their degrees are MD, DDS.

Is that right? I didn't realize they were awarded MD degrees. Bizarre. But a DDS degree itself is a surgery degree right? Doctor of Dental Surgery? :D If I was a dentist, any dentist, I'd just call myself a surgeon and show them the DDS written out if I was really worried about prestige as far as measuring my life. Even the ones who only do tooth bleaching for a living should just call themselves "oral surgeons" instead of dentists. Problem solved!

Is that right? I didn't realize they were awarded MD degrees. Bizarre. But a DDS degree itself is a surgery degree right? Doctor of Dental Surgery? :D If I was a dentist, any dentist, I'd just call myself a surgeon and show them the DDS written out if I was really worried about prestige as far as measuring my life. Even the ones who only do tooth bleaching for a living should just call themselves "oral surgeons" instead of dentists. Problem solved!

Um, no. Your argument fails for several reasons.:thumbdown:

You argue that a dentist can call themselves surgeons because they have a DDS, which may be technically true, but when the term "surgeon" is bought up, what comes to mind for most people? Probably a doctor who opens someone's body up and do whatever they do. If you have a DDS and claim to be a surgeon, it is like a half-lie.

Now lets say you buy an old Ferrari and tell your friends or random girls that you drive a Ferrari. You then drive up the driveway with your old Ferrari and they'll be like WTF? It's the same argument you're trying to make. An old Ferrari is technically a Ferrari but it is not the same thing as a new Ferrari; its a cheaper version of it.

The same thing goes with DDS vs. MD surgeon. MD surgeon > DDS no matter what you say. And no one in their right mind is going to think a DDS is on the same level as an MD surgeon.

Um, no. Your argument fails for several reasons.:thumbdown:

Now lets say you buy an old Ferrari and tell your friends or random girls that you drive a Ferrari. You then drive up the driveway with your old Ferrari and they'll be like WTF? It's the same argument you're trying to make. An old Ferrari is technically a Ferrari but it is not the same thing as a new Ferrari; its a cheaper version of it.

Um, no. Your argument fails for several reasons. :thumbdown:

Depends on the Ferrari.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_250_GTO

The last 250 GTO believed to be auctioned off was through World Classic Auctions, in Las Vegas in 1991. The total came up to $5.5 million.[2]

The same thing goes with DDS vs. MD surgeon. MD surgeon > DDS no matter what you say. And no one in their right mind is going to think a DDS is on the same level as an MD surgeon.

DaTru- If, god forbid, you ever need the services of a facial reconstructive surgeon-- if you don't want to eat your meals through a straw, if you want your teeth to line up straight, you better look for a DDS/MD OMFS. In that case you better believe DDS surgeon > MD surgeon.

Is that right? I didn't realize they were awarded MD degrees. Bizarre.

There are 4-yr and 6-yr OMFS residencies for students who finish their dental degrees (DDS or DMD).

The 6-yr programs get you the MD while the 4-yr ones do not. The MD can open up doors for doing certain procedures (at least that is my understanding).

Um, no. Your argument fails for several reasons. :thumbdown:

Depends on the Ferrari.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_250_GTO

The last 250 GTO believed to be auctioned off was through World Classic Auctions, in Las Vegas in 1991. The total came up to $5.5 million.[2]

DaTru- If, god forbid, you ever need the services of a facial reconstructive surgeon-- if you don't want to eat your meals through a straw, if you want your teeth to line up straight, you better look for a DDS/MD OMFS. In that case you better believe DDS surgeon > MD surgeon.

Um, I knew that some old Ferraris are more precious than others -- this holds true for almost every brand since there are exceptions. For example, the F40 is more desired then lets say a 360 Modena... I didn't mention these exceptions because I was only saying it as an example and I would assume that Doctor wouldn't know these exceptions. I was only trying to give an amusing and simple example.

Also, I DID say DDS not DDS/MD which was what Doctor was saying as well.

BTW no offense intended. =)

I would assume that Doctor wouldn't know these exceptions.

How dare you! :mad:

You know what though, you are missing the big picture. And that is the fact that those "Smile Makeover" dentists can afford several Ferraris, while many radiologists can't afford any at all! What a cruel world it is we live in.

How dare you! :mad:

You know what though, you are missing the big picture. And that is the fact that those "Smile Makeover" dentists can afford several Ferraris, while many radiologists can't afford any at all! What a cruel world it is we live in.

Sorry! =P

Regarding your second comment, I don't know the financial potential of "smile makeovers" dentists to make a comment.:)

www.nytimes.com/2008/04/28/business/28teeth.html

The beginning of the end for dentistry starts in Alaska...

i dont understand why so many threads end up with such "articles". i can find articles that say there will be a great depression in the next 6months. i wouldnt worry about dentists or doctors(other than fp/internists) becoming poor in the next 20yrs(and i would retire by then). it's interesting that most people who are so worried already have their md's and are making the $$$.

i wouldnt worry about dentists or doctors(other than fp/internists) becoming poor in the next 20yrs(and i would retire by then)

you a senior citizen already? :confused:

Speaking of derms, since when is acne so great to look at every day? Plastics I can understand, but I will never understand why derms is so popular in this country. It is dead last when I rank my interests, and yet it is the hardest specialty to match into.

i also dont understand why it's so competitive. but if you compare it to something like oncology, i would much rather deal with acne than with people whom you cannot help(im not naive to think that cancer treatment does anything more than prolong suffering). this is not to say that dermatologists do not encounter cancer, but death is not the bread&butter of their profession. of course one would feel more proud of himself if he removed an appendix or fixed someone's knee than if he removed a wart but is it worth the terrible working hours? thats why i feel that the strongest competition to dentistry are anesthesiology or radiology. though med students still have 3years to change their views.

This keeps coming up in this thread. Just remember there are radiologists who are DOs too. Does a DO have more prestige than a DMD? Not sure, since Joe Average from the street would not likely be able to define either degree. If anything, the DMD sounds more "medical" and prestigious than the DO.

well, there is a reason that i am studying for mcat and not just taking it easy and going to a DO school... also, not many DO's are radiologists, perhaps if you end up as the #1 student in your DO class you've suffered enough? but the more simple answer is that people dont ask you if you are DO, MD, ph.d . they ask you what you do for a living.

Not to mention that some DMD/DDS professions are more prestigious than some MD/DO professions. For instance, which is more prestigious: being an oral surgeon or being a family doctor? A lot of people think being a "surgeon" is more prestigious than being a "doctor", and those surgeons have a DDS or DMD.

omfs, even without md is competitive and is a 4yr residency. if i apply to dental schools, my goal is to be a general dentist so i could have a job 4yrs from now.
--------
This all being said, what does prestige really matter in the long run? It might be important when you are pursuing your future wife, but even then your prospects have more to do with your looks, intellect, and charm than "what you're going to be when you grow up".

At the end of the day (or at the end of your life) prestige won't have mattered much to your life. What's going to matter is if you did what you enjoyed, and who you surrounded yourself with, and how your kids turned out.

i'd like to hear more thoughts on prestige with regards to women. "what you're going to be when you grow up"--i find that most people(other than your mom) dont care. maybe it's different once you're in med school, but there is a guy (Neuronix) who doesnt seem to have much luck and he's in a very prestigious md/ph.d. program. but maybe all he needs is to spend some money on decent clothing(probably a residency salary would suffice).
anyway when i look for a wife i doubt she would care about anything other than money just as i care about nothing but looks. but i do know that a lot of moderately attractive girls at prestigious ugrads think that they're too good for dentists.

you a senior citizen already? :confused:
i am older than a traditional premed, i am 24. that may partially explain why i am not ecstatic about 5-10yr residency programs.

but i do know that a lot of moderately attractive girls at prestigious ugrads think that they're too good for dentists.

Get over yourselves...
Many girls at a particular prestigious U grad in Cambridge, MA, think they are too good for doctors. In general pre-meds are seen as opportunistic cutthroat gunners and are looked down upon. The smartest kids with initiative go to investment houses or join hedgefunds, not med school.

anyway when i look for a wife i doubt she would care about anything other than money just as i care about nothing but looks.

To each his own, but if you knowingly marry a nubile 22 year old gold digger just for her looks, you're a fool. Later on when her looks fade and you cheat on her with a younger woman, she'll leave you and get half of everything you've worked so hard for.

A wise happy old doctor once told me, the best thing (if you are a single male doctor) is to never get married. The next best thing is if you are married, STAY married.

Another doctor paying alimony and child support to 2 different women once told me if it flys, floats, or... there was one other f
(but i don't remember what it stands for ;)), you're better off renting it. Needless to say, he was very bitter and wasn't doing too well financially at the time.

anyway when i look for a wife i doubt she would care about anything other than money just as i care about nothing but looks.

Your priority system is ok for finding short-term girlfriends, but if you're going to marry someone just remember they won't look like that for very long. 5 years MAX for most girls until they look pretty different. Especially if you start dating while she's pretty young. Girls can change rapidly from 18 to 28, whereas some guys change not at all.

Two of the primary things I look for in a future wife: high intelligence and no love for clothes and going shopping. It doesn't hurt if she makes more money than I ever will (my current girlfriend is an investment banker and will make a lot more than any MD in her lifetime if she sticks with it) but that is optional.

Thus, it comes down to 1) someone who I can have an intelligent conversation with; and 2) someone who won't spend all my money while I'm working (think Eva Longoria's character on Desperate Housewives). Obviously they have to be hot as well, but I'll take a 9/10 or even 8/10 with these features over a 10/10 bimbo who loves shopping, any day! Those 10/10 supermodels who can find lots of ways to spend your money are nice to rent/date, but never to buy/marry (and I agree with everything Hans said above along those lines).

i am older than a traditional premed, i am 24. that may partially explain why i am not ecstatic about 5-10yr residency programs.

so you plan on retiring in your 40's?

care to share that lottery ticket with me?

:lol:

LOL, you're what, 2-3 years past the earliest possible age to apply to medical school? You're like a decade ahead of me.

Reads these words carefully. They are backed with experience and hindsight.

I initially applied to medical school with dental school as back up. I did not get into medical school, but managed to get into a top (Ivy League) dental school. I went for a semester, but dropped out because I was not happy there, having been set on getting an MD, and becoming a surgeon (I know about the OMF route but I thought it was a gamble). It took me a few years to get into medical school after a few years of research. Medical school was tough for me. I did not do so well on the steps. After having done 2 years of general surgery residency, this is what I have to say.

There is not a day go by now that I wished that I stuck with dentistry. All that nonsense about DDS vs MD? Guess what? In the real world, nobody, except the few, really care if you are an MD or DDS. They call you Dr.X. I think a lot of the "inferior" perception comes from dentists or premeds themselves. As far as I'm concern, I honestly treat my dental colleagues with the same respect, because I realize that dentistry is really another subspecialty of medicine, pretty benign and high pay like dermatology.

As far as women go? I think women are less impressed with the difference between DDS and MD's, but more with who you are. I remembered that I got hit on a lot as a general surgery resident. But then I realized that it was because I got this artificial ego boost from being a surgical resident. But you know what? When I really look back, it really did not matter if I told them I was a surgeon, or a dentist, and that is the truth.

Would I do this again had I know about the difficult path and the constant anxiety? I would say no. But then if I went to dental school and finished, would I look longingly at the MD side of the fence? Probably, but at least my life would have been started earlier with better payoff.

Medicine is in trouble in terms of the financial reward, being so tied up to the governmental policies and budget. Having done two years of general surgery so far, I realized ironically that I would definitely enjoy dentistry. It is sooo much less stress, and the novelty of "life and death" wears off pretty quickly when your pager goes off at 3 AM with someone in the ER with an acute abdomen.

For those of you sitting on the fence, think real hard. I had a chat with an internal medicine colleague who got a cardiology fellowship. He also went to dental school for a year and dropped out. He was glad he did. Everyone is different.

While interesting, your narrative doesn't tell the whole story -- or rather, it is misleading. You are comparing dentistry to general surgery. Any intelligent person with a modicum of insight into the business of health care would tell you that hands down dentistry beats general surgery. But you can't generalize as MD=gen surg and then compare MD to DDS. I don't mean to be crass, but you made two fatal mistakes: 1) You med school/USMLE performance was mediocre, and 2) You chose gen surg. Even if you were average or a bit below average you still could've gotten anesthesia or path, both of which blow gen surg out of the water -- and both of which IMHO beat run of the mill dentistry (i.e. not endodontics or wisdom teeth). If you were a bit competitive in med school you could've gotten rads -- maybe even derm (maybe not) -- both of which destroy dentistry.

So I think even though in hindsight you feel you should've picked dentistry, I'll bet you would feel differently had you chosen gas, path, or rads.

Why don't you bail on gen surg? Do gas brother!

i for one feel that gen. surgery is interesting/exciting. doesnt mean that it's my goal to go into it, but med students at least have such an opportunity. on the other hand you havent provided any proof that radiology or anes beats general dentistry. while you do your 5yrs of residency a dentist could already earn $1m+ and invest it in other businesses. and general dentist gets to flirt with his patients. u know a lot of new dentists are 25yo and they have 18yo patients dressing up to come get their teeth checked.