Rads and physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WnderWmn10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear that you are required to learn a lot of physics as Rads resident. How intense is this? I SUCKED at physics in undergrad, although I make good grades in med school. I'm interested in radiology, should I be worried about the physics involved?

As a side question I am also a D.O. Is this going to be a barrier for me getting a rads spot. I am currently a second year, so I will be taking the USMLE for sure.

Members don't see this ad.

Physics won't be your make or break point for this long road ahead...

I hear that you are required to learn a lot of physics as Rads resident. How intense is this? I SUCKED at physics in undergrad, although I make good grades in med school. I'm interested in radiology, should I be worried about the physics involved?

As a side question I am also a D.O. Is this going to be a barrier for me getting a rads spot. I am currently a second year, so I will be taking the USMLE for sure.

The physics board is something you can worry about AFTER you match.

From your standpoint, the D.O. is potentially the bigger issue.
For some programs a good candidate is a good candidate, whether MD or DO and no matter what school they are from. Other programs (though they won't say so explicitly) are more choosy and pride themselves on getting top students from top allopathic schools. My advice is the same for everyone, keep getting the good grades and ace Step I.

I also was horrible at physics, but managed to do well enough to pass the physics boards. The physics is a lot different than you think, don't stress.

Also, I am a DO and haven't had any problems. I took the USMLE and did well enough. I concur with hans19 on this.