1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Rads for math/physics junky? What else did you consider?

Discussion in 'Radiology' started by StevenRF, Feb 23, 2007.

1. StevenRF

StevenRF Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I did my undergrad in B.M.E., and I really enjoyed my classes in medical devices, programming, EE, ME, etc. Anyone else from a similar background that was drawn to rads? What else were you thinking? I'm exploring going into academic rads or MBA and work on device development. I'm only a MS1, but dealing with patients is already getting old. However, my experiences are limited to a family medicine preceptorship and those crappy fake patient actors who came to hollywood and couldn't hack it :barf: X1000.

2. Imaged Prostate

Medical Student
    Hey Hey Steve-O:

I'm with you. I received a physics degree, CS minor in undergrad and went on to med-school. I'm currently a third year planning on entering radiology. After one rotation in primary care where the most high tech piece of equipment in the office is a stick you pee on... (blue=protein, yellow=glucose, black=error, please pee on more sticks) I've decided radiology is the place to be. I also considered cards and neurosurgery, but for lifestyle reasons am choosing radiology.

It's good that you're starting early, because radiology is getting more competitive every year cause it's bada$$. Get some research/experience early and it will make your life easier come match time.

Oh and also, if you are worried about not having enough patient contact in radiology... 3-4 more standarized patients will swing you the other way.

Best of luck