Rads rotation as a 3rd year. Would it be somewhat useless?

Started by Kr#36
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Kr#36

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Due to covid the pickings for my 3rd elective are slim to say the least. Would it be worth anything to do a rotation with a pp rads guy as a 3rd year? I assume that there is very little I could do or offer. It isn't affiliated with any residency program either. Any benefits to this or should I find something where I might have the chance to see patients and develop some basic skills?
 
I personally think so. It may even be discouraging. I didn't really like mine, but I was into radiology quite a bit already. If anything, it gives you a chance to meet radiologists, which for the most part are people that I like to be around. Not always, but almost always personally.
There is really nothing exciting seating behind a desk watching a radiologist dictate. It is much more fun to do it yourself.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Due to covid the pickings for my 3rd elective are slim to say the least. Would it be worth anything to do a rotation with a pp rads guy as a 3rd year? I assume that there is very little I could do or offer. It isn't affiliated with any residency program either. Any benefits to this or should I find something where I might have the chance to see patients and develop some basic skills?

It would be worth it because it will show that you have a strong interest in radiology and that you understand the workflow/job of a radiologist.

It will likely be useless to your education but that is no different than a Radiology rotation at a university. You will not learn much as a med student on Radiology since it is mostly just sitting and watching and therefore it sucks. I always send my students home after like 20 minutes to study and enjoy life before residency.
 
Last edited:
It would be worth it because it will show that you have a strong interest in radiology and that you understand the workflow/job of a radiologist.

It will likely to useless to your education but that is no different than a Radiology rotation at a university. You will not learn much very useful as a med student on radiology. It is mostly just sitting and watching and sucks. I always send my students home after like 20 minutes to study and enjoy life before residency.

Thanks. Honestly it still sounds better than writing a patient note so the resident can give me a kudos then throw it away.
 
It would be worth it because it will show that you have a strong interest in radiology and that you understand the workflow/job of a radiologist.

It will likely be useless to your education but that is no different than a Radiology rotation at a university. You will not learn much as a med student on Radiology since it is mostly just sitting and watching and therefore it sucks. I always send my students home after like 20 minutes to study and enjoy life before residency.
A radiology rotation at a university is more likely to have dedicated teaching sessions about topics high-yield for medical students, as well as residents to hang out with.