rads vs derm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Relevant recent article (August 2015): The Impact of Nonphysician Providers on Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology Practices: Regulatory, Billing, and Compliance Perspectives

My takeaway is that RA's should not be feared especially because their numbers are so few (~650 nationwide) and scope so limited (for example, a practice can't legally bill for their services unless a radiologist is directly supervising them). NP/PA's might be considered a bigger "threat" but I honestly see them as a strong asset to a practice if used well (ie used to cover the annoying crap that doesn't pay well and nobody really wants to do).

Members don't see this ad.

This is highly inaccurate. Cosmetic dermatologists are making enormous amounts of money. If you don't believe that, go to see the practices being sold and see how much they are netting - not grossing, but netting. Ask an avg dermatologist who does solely cosmetics and someone who does some cosmetic and some medical and you will see that the cosmetic derms are making enormous amounts of money. Also realize that the avg dermatologist works 4 days a week, and doesn't take call - it's outpt. My own dermatologist and his entire group who works in one of the most desirable cities in the nation works 4 days a week, from 9-5:30pm, no call, entirely cash based. His group and countless others in the city are making tremendous amounts of $. For a 100% non-cosmetic derm, the wait here is about 3 months for new patients. Again this is not podunk USA, it's one of the most desirable cities in the nation. Derm is absolutely rosy. If you don't think that I'm very sorry. The fact that derm is so competitive is not just because everyone loves skin so much but because you can make so much $.

Even with competition, dermatologists and cosmetic ones at that, do extremely well.

Not sure why you think this is offensive to you somehow. It's just the way it is.

No one is saying Rads is not a great field, but it is certainly not Derm.

Geez man, it's not all about money. Ever heard of spine surgery? Those guys kill it and are very much in demand, yet many spine fellowships go unfilled. You probably know that average spine surgeon easily comes close to 7 figures if not crosses it, life style is also great, yet it's not popular amongst Ortho crowd. Everything is not about money and lifestyle as you seem to imply.

This is highly inaccurate. Cosmetic dermatologists are making enormous amounts of money. If you don't believe that, go to see the practices being sold and see how much they are netting - not grossing, but netting. Ask an avg dermatologist who does solely cosmetics and someone who does some cosmetic and some medical and you will see that the cosmetic derms are making enormous amounts of money. Also realize that the avg dermatologist works 4 days a week, and doesn't take call - it's outpt. My own dermatologist and his entire group who works in one of the most desirable cities in the nation works 4 days a week, from 9-5:30pm, no call, entirely cash based. His group and countless others in the city are making tremendous amounts of $. For a 100% non-cosmetic derm, the wait here is about 3 months for new patients. Again this is not podunk USA, it's one of the most desirable cities in the nation. Derm is absolutely rosy. If you don't think that I'm very sorry. The fact that derm is so competitive is not just because everyone loves skin so much but because you can make so much $.

Even with competition, dermatologists and cosmetic ones at that, do extremely well.

Not sure why you think this is offensive to you somehow. It's just the way it is.

No one is saying Rads is not a great field, but it is certainly not Derm.

How much money do you need, exactly?

The work in Radiology is something that no one else can really do. You'll realize that when the ED and surgical teams are bombarding you about reading studies. They need you because they can't do it with confidence. The work is rewarding, as well. You can actually help 100 patients or more every single day. You're in touch with every service in the hospital. What other specialty does that?

I'm just a wee-baby R1, but the thought of being part time is oh-so enticing. Excellent salary (I come from a hard working, blue collar family, so part time salary is eye-popping) for week on, week off? Yes, please. I love what I'm doing during the day, but I also love other things in life, too.

Hate to say that shark2000 was right about being converted to the dark side (non-IR), but there's something special about going to work, then going home. Work stays at work and home stays at home. Maybe my passion for it will be revitalized next year when I rotate through, but I'm really enjoying the cerebral aspect of DR, no matter how bad I am at it right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
How much money do you need, exactly?

The work in Radiology is something that no one else can really do. You'll realize that when the ED and surgical teams are bombarding you about reading studies. They need you because they can't do it with confidence. The work is rewarding, as well. You can actually help 100 patients or more every single day. You're in touch with every service in the hospital. What other specialty does that?

I'm just a wee-baby R1, but the thought of being part time is oh-so enticing. Excellent salary (I come from a hard working, blue collar family, so part time salary is eye-popping) for week on, week off? Yes, please. I love what I'm doing during the day, but I also love other things in life, too.

Hate to say that shark2000 was right about being converted to the dark side (non-IR), but there's something special about going to work, then going home. Work stays at work and home stays at home. Maybe my passion for it will be revitalized next year when I rotate through, but I'm really enjoying the cerebral aspect of DR, no matter how bad I am at it right now.
I need to make 1mil/year to pay off my student loans and live comfortably. :p

Reactions: 1 user
I'm really enjoying the cerebral aspect of DR, no matter how bad I am at it right now.

Do you find this cerebral aspect of DR more stimulating that your experience as an intern during your prelim year?

Do you find this cerebral aspect of DR more stimulating that your experience as an intern during your prelim year?

no I'm sure doing scut and rounding were much more mentally stimulating