Rads vs. Rad Onc for Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jake2

Radiology Attending
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

First, apologies for the repeated post from another forum. It was suggested in the MSTP forum that I post this here as well so I figured, why not?

I'm making a major life decision soon so I figured the best place to go was an anonymous internet forum. I'm finishing up my PhD and about to head back into the wards for one last year before going into residency. I'm trying to decide between radiology and radiation onclology for my residency.

Now, different as they are, I actually really enjoy both fields (maybe radiology slightly more) so my decision is essentially boiling down to which will be better for a research career. I'm told that radiation oncology has a culture which is more conducive towards research. However, something I really love doing is inventing medical devices, and the amazing knowledge base that comes with studying radiology seems like it would be an incredible help with that. I don't want to handicap my basic science research career though (I do mostly bio-engineering type work by the way).

Any opinions on whether radiology is a good research specialty?

Members don't see this ad.