Raising gpa revisited - post bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunflower79

Plays well with knives
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having recently graduated, I wish to take graduate level classes in order to improve my gpa. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but as I understand I can either:
1) enroll in a post-bacc program
2) apply for a master's program
3) take the grad courses "a la carte"

I am leaning towards the master's because 1) post-bacc programs are pricey and 2) per se, they seem not to provide you with some new skill set or knowledge that would be useful later. I think with respect to the latter at least a master's would give you that which you can use later -- at the least, if the MD doesn't happen, I have another degree.

Please give me your own opinions regarding the dis/advantages of the three avenues above. Is one viewed more favorably by adcoms than another?

One last thing-- I am curious about online degree programs. Anyone know what adcoms think of those?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Karen,

There are several things to consider before deciding which program to undertake.

1) Postbac programs generally are useful for people who have only taken the core requirement of science courses, and not the upper level sciences such as physiology, biochem, and genetics. If taken in an undergraduate program, you can factor these classes into your undergrad GPA, and raise, although it takes a lot of courses at a 4.0 level to make a dent.

2) Master's programs are not factored into undergrad GPAs and therefore, you may still be below many school cutoffs if your undergrad gpa is low. however, if you do well in the Master's program, you may catch the attention of schools and it can be enough to get you in. Some masters programs, like the one at BU, have you take classes with medical students, and if you do well, you have proven that you can be successful in medical school. But if you aren't, then you have pretty much written your ticket goodbye.

3) Taking grad courses a la carte may be similar to what i have written in number 2.

My suggestion is to the undergrad route if you have not take the upper level sciences yet (I chose this route). You can even take the courses a la carte in your local state school without enrolling in a official postbac program. If you have taken the courses already, a Master's program like the one at BU may make more sense.

Hope this helps.

Neel