Random cat anatomy question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Bagel

so cheap and juicy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So we've recently noticed that when we scratch both our male cats on their back at the point just before where the tail starts, they jerk their heads and stick their tongues in and out of their mouths. We tried it on our female, and she just bit us. :)

Anyway, what the heck causes that? Sorry for invading your forum, but I thought you guys might have a clue what causes this. Weird kitties.

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely look for fleas! They might be hard to notice at first. If you don't see live fleas, look for 'flea dirt' aka flea feces. It looks like dirt but if you get it wet it turns red (fleas eat blood, hence the red). We have had many cats come into our clinic like that and when we rinse them in the sink the water turns red.

Members don't see this ad :)
She's talking about something that happens when she scratches the cat in a certain place, not that the animal is scratching itself. It's normal.

But sure, it's probably always good to look for fleas, I guess.

I understand, but the tail-head region is where fleas like to colonize and when you touch them there they act extra sensitive and do that weird lick thing and/or bite.

all cats are really sensitive to being touched in this area. the way they react to it is a personal issue. one of my cats will usually look back at me or play bite. the other one usually goes into lick mode. regardless its normal. funny that those guys both stick their tongue out though...

all cats are really sensitive to being touched in this area. the way they react to it is a personal issue. one of my cats will usually look back at me or play bite. the other one usually goes into lick mode. regardless its normal. funny that those guys both stick their tongue out though...

Yeah, we were wondering if it was some weird neutered male thing. :laugh: I'm pretty sure it's not fleas, but I'll be on the lookout for that.