Random change of focus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hollycozza

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One for the people who are vets already or have almost finished! Has anyone had a sudden change of heart about the direction they want to take? I've suddenly become a fan of equine practice, after having such great experiences on my clinical rotations, when I have never been very horsey in the past. Or at all horsey! I will still go into cattle practice which has always been my plan, but I would like to consider some horse work down the track..........

Maybe its just last minute career jitters, who knows!

Members don't see this ad.

Only a second-year, but I work with a lot of fourth-years in the teaching hospital and I can tell you that it seems to be pretty common! Just this weekend one of the guys was saying that he had always wanted to do smallies but now is thinking of horses after a fantastic equine rotation. :) Most vets end up doing something different than what they thought they'd do when they started, from my understanding.

Also, a few girls this weekend were talking about how they thought they wanted to pursue specialty X, but are now going to try for specialty Y....the switch from medicine to surgery (or vice versa) seems just as profound and just as common. You can do whatever you want! Yay for being open-minded and enjoying new things. :) :love: :luck:

One of my friends decided in 3rd year to pursue equine medicine. She's doing a fantastic job in 4th year so far and loves her choice.

I bounced through several options along the way: started large animal, then considered equine (also joined a lot of clubs, like lab animal and path to learn more about options I didn't know existed before vet school), began an interest in exotics before 3rd year, and after attending OEPS decided that equine was not for me as a career.
Now I'm focusing on emergency medicine, where I'll hopefully see some exotics as well.
My decision came about due to my interests (which cases I get really excited about seeing), my personality, and what kind of lifestyle I wanted after vet school. Mostly, I've decided that I'm more and more a city girl, a night owl, and enjoy horses but don't want to work on them.

I think that learning about things in a classroom setting is very different than actually doing them day to day in the clinics or in private practice, so changing your mind is completely legitimate. And if you've considered other options, then you know what the options are and hopefully have picked the best choice for you at this point.

Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your replies! I guess thats it, clinical placements just open your eyes to more opportunities. And I've been finding the horse cases are just really fascinating! Anyway, gives me something to think about ahead of graduation!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Ooh and we just had a few more really exciting surgeries overnight! (One colic- torsed large colon plus caesarian, and another colic!) when you're smiling at work at 4 in the morning, it probably means you're enjoying it!

Yes! I have gotten into food animal medicine...very weird for me since I never, ever thought I'd want to do that. I don't know if I will...research/path/lab animal is still my favorite...but it's becoming very appealing!

yay for open mindedness, except... :scared: now... the question is, do i follow my original plans and see how they go, or choose a totally different pathway (at least for a year or two.......)

So I went ahead and applied for an equine internship at uni... will post if it goes anywhere!!

So I went ahead and applied for an equine internship at uni... will post if it goes anywhere!!

Holly, if it helps, I've make a point of asking the older vets (i.e. been practicing 15-20 years) I meet about their career choices, since I'm experiencing some indecision myself. I think pretty much all of them changed their mind while in vet school, and have changed their career path at least once again after starting practice, including doing a second residency in at least one case I can remember. I know doing an equine internship must seem like you're making a big commitment to the rest of your career, but I get the impression that people transition between career paths fairly often in vet med. At least, I choose to interpret the data that way, since it makes me feel better... :)

Good luck! If you don't mind, I'm going to go ahead and take inspiration from the fact that you're applying for an internship in a field that you only recently got interested in.

Thanks for your positive thoughts.

Hooray for a profession which gives us boundless opportunities :love:

Well I missed out on getting an internship! But I've taken a job that is 50% smallies, 25% beef cattle 25% horses. I'm a bit sad to have no dairy cattle, but other than that the practice is wonderful and hopefully I will learn a lot of everything. Then if I remain obsessed with equine surgeries, perhaps I'll go for an internship again in another few years!!!