Internship outside of the match?

Started by flotus
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

flotus

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all -

I have planned some externships and when we discussed plans of my future, I mentioned potentially wanting to pursue an internship with the goal of an internal medicine residency (maybe). A few of the locations have mentioned the possibility of meeting with the internship committee while on my externship because they do offer positions outside of the match. They do also have positions listed on the VIRMP website.

My questions are:

1. Does accepting a position outside of the match for an internship make me less likely to match for a residency in the future through VIRMP?
2. Is there anything I should know about accepting outside of the match?
3. I've spoken to some faculty and they advise an academic rotating, and I am open to that. I would actually enjoy it. However, I feel like a non-academic internship aligns more with the way I learn (based on the few discussions I've had with folks), and will allow me to support my family financially which is important to me. Would doing an internship at a reputable place (CCVS, NVS, BluePearl, etc.) really be that detrimental to my future? I just can't see how it could be considering so many fantastic specialists do not pursue training in academia.


I have been fortunate enough to talk to @supershorty and she has been so helpful and wonderful, but I also wanted to get some more opinions here. 🙂
 
1. No. Places won’t know how you got the position, especially if the place offers them through and outside of the match. They won’t care, either.
2. Same as any internship, do your due diligence and talk to people so you know what you’re getting into. Don’t let the flattery of being offered something push you into something you don’t truly want…I’d think if you’re a competitive enough applicant for them to offer you a spot outside the match, you’re probably competitive enough to match elsewhere if things don’t feel 100% right.
3. I don’t think where you intern is all that important in the grand scheme of things. I did a private practice internship and academic residency (though I must admit my specialty doesn’t do private residencies). I will say that if you’re wanting a certain specialty that’s outside of the core surgery-IM-ER-neuro like radiology or pathology or derm, it can be easier to snag an extra rotation through that “off” specialty to maintain and make new connections in academia, especially if your other option is a PP without those specialists around for everyday access, but really, intern year is about paying your dues and biding your time for better things and I don’t think ‘where’ matters as much. The main reason ‘where’ matters is because of the connections you can make and who will write you letters of rec (and academia names are often more recognizable than PP because there’s more time/expectation for publication and presentation in academia) but specialty vet med is a small world so as long as you have someone in that specialty supporting you, that’s the main thing.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. No. Places won’t know how you got the position, especially if the place offers them through and outside of the match. They won’t care, either.
2. Same as any internship, do your due diligence and talk to people so you know what you’re getting into. Don’t let the flattery of being offered something push you into something you don’t truly want…I’d think if you’re a competitive enough applicant for them to offer you a spot outside the match, you’re probably competitive enough to match elsewhere if things don’t feel 100% right.
3. I don’t think where you intern is all that important in the grand scheme of things. I did a private practice internship and academic residency (though I must admit my specialty doesn’t do private residencies). I will say that if you’re wanting a certain specialty that’s outside of the core surgery-IM-ER-neuro like radiology or pathology or derm, it can be easier to snag an extra rotation through that “off” specialty to maintain and make new connections in academia, especially if your other option is a PP without those specialists around for everyday access, but really, intern year is about paying your dues and biding your time for better things and I don’t think ‘where’ matters as much. The main reason ‘where’ matters is because of the connections you can make and who will write you letters of rec (and academia names are often more recognizable than PP because there’s more time/expectation for publication and presentation in academia) but specialty vet med is a small world so as long as you have someone in that specialty supporting you, that’s the main thing.
Thank you! This is great information.
 
You’ve already gotten some great info.

I will add my own experience -
People in academia will tell you to do an academic rotating. People in private will tell you to do a private rotating. It’s all about your goals, values, and learning style IMO.

I accepted a private internship outside of match with the goal of pursuing a SAIM residency because:
1. IM isn’t THAT competitive vs specialities like zoo med and surgery where an academic rotating is more valued. Most of the IM residents at my school did private rotatings and matched into academia just fine.
2. I was newly pregnant - the work life balance and pay at this hospital was unbeatable vs academic rotatings. I could also be near my husbands family with this program for child care.
3. I LOVED the structure of this program, the mentorship available, and the residency programs they have.
4. I simply didn't want to go through VIRMP if I didn’t have to. It’s a good deal of time and money. You also have to wait until February to find out where you match and where you’re moving. I needed to know ASAP for the sake of childcare, my husbands job, etc.
 
You’ve already gotten some great info.

I will add my own experience -
People in academia will tell you to do an academic rotating. People in private will tell you to do a private rotating. It’s all about your goals, values, and learning style IMO.

I accepted a private internship outside of match with the goal of pursuing a SAIM residency because:
1. IM isn’t THAT competitive vs specialities like zoo med and surgery where an academic rotating is more valued. Most of the IM residents at my school did private rotatings and matched into academia just fine.
2. I was newly pregnant - the work life balance and pay at this hospital was unbeatable vs academic rotatings. I could also be near my husbands family with this program for child care.
3. I LOVED the structure of this program, the mentorship available, and the residency programs they have.
4. I simply didn't want to go through VIRMP if I didn’t have to. It’s a good deal of time and money. You also have to wait until February to find out where you match and where you’re moving. I needed to know ASAP for the sake of childcare, my husbands job, etc.
Thank you! This is valuable info. Do you mind me asking where you will be going?
 
Hi, I’m a current rotating intern and I got my position outside the match, so I’ve been in your shoes. There are definitely pros and cons to accepting a position outside the match, and since I’ve been through it myself, I figured I’d share my two cents.

For reference, I am at an established private practice and accepted my position at the end of my third year. At the time, I was dead-set on doing ER and didn’t want to specialize, so I was hoping to do an internship to gain ER experience. Cue fourth year, and I fell in love with cardio and decided I wanted to specialize, but I was already locked into a path.

That isn’t to say you’ll change your mind about what you want to do, but I never thought I’d change my mind. So keep in mind that as you progress through the more clinical portion of your training, you may learn more about yourself and your preferences. Do you want the security of a confirmed path, or the flexibility of keeping your options open?

By taking a position outside the match, I was able to start planning my future a lot sooner. You have control over where you’re going to live, rather than leaving that up in the air. You mentioned supporting your family, and if your family will be moving with you, this can be a good option to guarantee things like job opportunities or schools for them. You also save the money and stress that come along with VIRMP.

Regarding the academia vs private practice debate, we’re in slightly different boats because SAIM is a specialty that puts much less stock in the private practice vs academia battle. I went through the match this year and in the lead-up I was repeatedly told how much of a disadvantage I was at applying to cardio from a private practice internship… yet I still matched at my top cardio internship (at an academic program, no less). Could I have matched to a residency instead of a specialty internship if I’d done my rotating at an academic program? Who’s to say. And does it matter anyways? I think the key point is that where you do your internship is far less important than the connections you make there and the strength of your letters. You’ll most certainly have a higher caseload at a private practice than in academia, but the amount of didactic training can be highly variable. A lot of the corporate chains (BluePearl, Thrive, VCA, etc.) also have internal or sponsored residencies that they tend to prioritize internal fills for (some of those also get filled pre-match), so you may also have an “in” for those opportunities by going the private practice route.

Anyways, I’m sure I’ll think of other points later, but these were the main things that came to mind. If you have other questions just let me know!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I’m a current rotating intern and I got my position outside the match, so I’ve been in your shoes. There are definitely pros and cons to accepting a position outside the match, and since I’ve been through it myself, I figured I’d share my two cents.

For reference, I am at an established private practice and accepted my position at the end of my third year. At the time, I was dead-set on doing ER and didn’t want to specialize, so I was hoping to do an internship to gain ER experience. Cue fourth year, and I fell in love with cardio and decided I wanted to specialize, but I was already locked into a path.

That isn’t to say you’ll change your mind about what you want to do, but I never thought I’d change my mind. So keep in mind that as you progress through the more clinical portion of your training, you may learn more about yourself and your preferences. Do you want the security of a confirmed path, or the flexibility of keeping your options open?

By taking a position outside the match, I was able to start planning my future a lot sooner. You have control over where you’re going to live, rather than leaving that up in the air. You mentioned supporting your family, and if your family will be moving with you, this can be a good option to guarantee things like job opportunities or schools for them. You also save the money and stress that come along with VIRMP.

Regarding the academia vs private practice debate, we’re in slightly different boats because SAIM is a specialty that puts much less stock in the private practice vs academia battle. I went through the match this year and in the lead-up I was repeatedly told how much of a disadvantage I was at applying to cardio from a private practice internship… yet I still matched at my top cardio internship (at an academic program, no less). Could I have matched to a residency instead of a specialty internship if I’d done my rotating at an academic program? Who’s to say. And does it matter anyways? I think the key point is that where you do your internship is far less important than the connections you make there and the strength of your letters. You’ll most certainly have a higher caseload at a private practice than in academia, but the amount of didactic training can be highly variable. A lot of the corporate chains (BluePearl, Thrive, VCA, etc.) also have internal or sponsored residencies that they tend to prioritize internal fills for (some of those also get filled pre-match), so you may also have an “in” for those opportunities by going the private practice route.

Anyways, I’m sure I’ll think of other points later, but these were the main things that came to mind. If you have other questions just let me know!
This was very insightful. Thank you for sharing your experience with me.