Random courses to take for fun - advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TropicalKitty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I decided I was going to take some evening cc classes for "fun," but this isn't going the way I had hoped. Basically, the courses I wanted to take have filled up, the program coordinator isn't getting back to me, and if I don't register for classes I'll have wasted money and time doing this.:mad:

So...I was thinking I could turn this situation into something useful. I was thinking an "easy" class like Medical Terminology, Nutrition, or their intro Anatomy/Physio. I'd be ok taking non-biology classes too, like Business or Econ.

I am applying this cycle and I've already received a BS & MS, so this is taking lower level classes.

Suggestions? Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I decided I was going to take some evening cc classes for "fun," but this isn't going the way I had hoped. Basically, the courses I wanted to take have filled up, the program coordinator isn't getting back to me, and if I don't register for classes I'll have wasted money and time doing this.:mad:

So...I was thinking I could turn this situation into something useful. I was thinking an "easy" class like Medical Terminology, Nutrition, or their intro Anatomy/Physio. I'd be ok taking non-biology classes too, like Business or Econ.

I am applying this cycle and I've already received a BS & MS, so this is taking lower level classes.

Suggestions? Advice?

Those don't sound like fun classes. I recommend taking something that's actually fun like guitar or karate. You'll learn Anatomy if you get into med school....otherwise, what's the point of even taking a class in it? Also, don't waste your time with Medical Terminology. Just buy a book if you're interested.

Honestly, I would try to do something non-academic (volunteer, travel, etc.) unless your grades are poor and you need the gpa boost.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those don't sound like fun classes. I recommend taking something that's actually fun like guitar or karate. You'll learn Anatomy if you get into med school....otherwise, what's the point of even taking a class in it? Also, don't waste your time with Medical Terminology. Just buy a book if you're interested.

Honestly, I would try to do something non-academic (volunteer, travel, etc.) unless your grades are poor and you need the gpa boost.

I don't need the gpa boost. I already volunteer. And I can't travel right now. I just wanted something else to do. The point of taking some of these classes was just for any utility since the fun classes I wanted are filled. Plus, I took guitar in high school and I'm not interested in attempting to be musical, because I'm not. haha

Have you thought about trying a foreign language course? That could be useful as a physician, and interesting in its own right.

Brilliant! Why didn't I think of taking something like Spanish?! That's a great idea!

Brilliant! Why didn't I think of taking something like Spanish?! That's a great idea!

Sounds like a really good idea! Kind of fun...really useful!

EDIT: Nutrition is still a good idea too if it is a more advanced course that has a chem prereq. Otherwise, it'll be so watered down that it probably wont be helpful for you.

Sociology is a lot of fun and pretty useful in medical practice these days :)

Have you thought about trying a foreign language course? That could be useful as a physician, and interesting in its own right.

+1

Hows your Spanish, French, Italian, Arabic, and Chinese? I took 5 foreign languages in undergrad and med schools seemed to like that last cycle. I didnt get in (I applied a year early with a low GPA and MCAT before physics and Orgo), but they seemed interested in my interest in languages. This is your last opportunity to learn something you have always wanted to (like karate or guitar), so use it wisely and med school will like you for it.

As someone else said, they will teach you all you need to know to be a doctor.

I would ask around and try to find which are the best teachers with classes available and go for those. An interesting topic is still terrible with a poor teacher.

You could also try Latin, which helps with a lot of terminology in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
Realistically, all anyone will see is your GPA - they won't go over your classes with a fine toothed comb. Just take an easy class - even better if you can get a science course out of it - get an A and move on.
Don't screw up.

Pharmacology and Pathophysiology are often offered at community colleges for nursing students.

Cross-cultural Communication could be pretty useful.

Biochemistry and Anatomy will give you a head-start for medical school.

Just throwing some things out there... there is a lot you can do.

Suggestions? Advice?

I would take a foreign language like spanish ;). use ratemyprofessor.com and find the best prof, I love all the little games some professors create to help you learn grammar, culture and vocab.

Suggestions? Advice?

I heavily recommend Anatomy and/or Physiology. Medical Terminology is a gimme A, but not very useful. Everything else is a time waster, although knowing Economics / Business / related classes can give you a step up in life (or, at least, ammunition to argue with your friends about the state of the country).

Worst advice in the forum. If you're taking something now that will later be touched on, or even delved into in medical school, why not warm yourself up to the subject? The best thing you could possibly do is involve yourself with anatomy. Maybe become a TA for the anatomy class/lab.

As far as fun though, I would recommend Philosophy, Anthropology, or Foreign Language classes. FL classes will obviously have the most utility after you graduate, and will make language competence easier down the road.

Suggestions? Advice?

drinking beer 121
smoking weed 242

or

ummm, get a life, seriouslyyy 363

i recommend the former and latter

Yes, it is possible to cold plunge into Anatomy without knowing what a blood vessel or a macrophage look like or what a process of a bone is or how neurons innervate each other and organs. It is also possible to get an A/90%+/passing in the class without knowing anything before.

It is also harder.

You do yourself a favor if you take some kind of anatomy/physio/biochem beforehand. Those form the foundation for your first year med school classes.

You have from now until the end of your second year of med school to know most of the structures and functions in the human body. If your MCAT, prereq classes, ECs, and GPA are all set, why not start now?

what about a personal finance class or intro to economics . . . something besides science that will actually help you live your everyday life outside of medicine

Yes, it is possible to cold plunge into Anatomy without knowing what a blood vessel or a macrophage look like or what a process of a bone is or how neurons innervate each other and organs. It is also possible to get an A/90%+/passing in the class without knowing anything before.

It is also harder.

You do yourself a favor if you take some kind of anatomy/physio/biochem beforehand. Those form the foundation for your first year med school classes.

You have from now until the end of your second year of med school to know most of the structures and functions in the human body. If your MCAT, prereq classes, ECs, and GPA are all set, why not start now?

This is basically the situation I was thinking of. I've got my stuff together. I have my pre-reqs and a ton of other classes that have already been listed. Been there. Done that. Got a t-shirt. I'm old and figure it might be nice to start dusting off some cobwebs while I have some free time.

Thanks for the suggestions folks!

Medicalmuscle, thanks for the sarcasm, but none of that fits my situation. :)

drinking beer 121
smoking weed 242

or

ummm, get a life, seriouslyyy 363

i recommend the former and latter

If you can't contribute to this discussion with good advice, keep your informal, unintelligent opinions to yourself.

If you can't contribute to this discussion with good advice, keep your informal, unintelligent opinions to yourself.

obviously you need to take my advice more than the op...

did you really quote yourself in your signature???

Medicalmuscle, thanks for the sarcasm, but none of that fits my situation. :)

even the op has a sense of humor...

again, did you really quote yourself???

:thumbup:

obviously you need to take my advice more than the op...

did you really quote yourself in your signature???

even the op has a sense of humor...

again, did you really quote yourself???

I do have a sense of humor, but I was a bit annoyed by the the "get a life" comment.

Whateva, it's SDN and I appreciate the honest assistance from fellow members, even if it ends up bringing some bad jokes occasionally.

I do have a sense of humor, but I was a bit annoyed by the the "get a life" comment.

9212974.jpg

Who cares if it's the internet? That doesn't give you a free pass to be rude.

At any rate, I really don't care, like I said, there's plenty of decent advice on here regardless of your drivel.

Have you taken Spanish? If you haven't, take that. If you have, take some more.

Take a comprehensive intro econ course. You will be happy you did.

They had seats in macro or micro econ, would either of those be good?

Barcu, I think the language suggestions are great ideas. Especially as our population changes, Spanish is probably the best foreign language to learn. Have you ever seen courses any where for Medical Spanish?

They had seats in macro or micro econ, would either of those be good?

I think I got more out of macro than any other class...and I took it years ago. I also enjoyed Intro to Psych. That would be a good choice too if you haven't taken it yet.

That doesn't give you a free pass to be rude.

ummm, that is exactly what the internet does...
case in point, what are you going to do about it???

nothing, because IT IS THE INTERNET...

there's plenty of decent advice on here regardless of your drivel.

i beg to differ...

wait a second, "kaustikos md?"

are you a medical doctor yet???
or, are you a medical student???

lolll, hows your bedside manner?
let me guessssssss, robotic?