random eLOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluesails

Tufts c/o 2018!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Were your vet LOR writers veterinarians working in the field that you hope to pursue? Do you think that it would be unusual at all for someone to check off that they were most interested in large animal, for example, but have their 1 or 2 vet LOR's coming from small animal vets? Thoughts on this at all?

Members don't see this ad.

I think having eLOR's from different areas will work to your advantage. It depends on the school, but it could show the range of your experience and show you're a well-rounded candidate. But I should let you know that I'm being a bit hypocritical, all three of my vet references came from the same clinic and all 3 mainly dealt with small animal (1 did wildlife as well). But those were the ones who knew me best.

First time I applied, I had stated at schools that asked in interviews that my interest was zoo/wildlife (it's now more small animal/exotics focused) and none of LORs were from a zoo vet. No one said my I needed different letters. I don't think it matters if you LORs are from someone in your area of interest, but you should definitely have some hours in your area of interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your eLORs are speaking more to your competence as a future veterinarian, no matter what type of animal you worked on. Not to mention, people change their minds so much that many times what you go in wanting, isn't what you leave doing. The only thing I wouldn't suggest doing, is saying you are interested in a field that you have absolutely NO hours in. Otherwise, the variation of veterinary fields is to your advantage, IMO.

I think that the most important thing about letters of recommendation is how genuine and well written they are. Your writers have to really know you and be able to honestly tell the colleges that you'll be awesome.

I do have a silly question though. What does the "e" in eLOR stand for? I'm usually pretty good at figuring out the acronyms but...I'm lost on this one.

I want to do mixed animal and the 2 vets I had write LORs were exclusively small animal. I couldn't find a mixed animal practice that was hiring so I had to go to a small animal clinic, and while I enjoy it, I def know I want go into mixed.

I think that the most important thing about letters of recommendation is how genuine and well written they are. Your writers have to really know you and be able to honestly tell the colleges that you'll be awesome.

I do have a silly question though. What does the "e" in eLOR stand for? I'm usually pretty good at figuring out the acronyms but...I'm lost on this one.

Ideally yes, but things happen. I had someone who wasn't being reliable and had a last minute panic about being short a letter writer; asked a professor who knew me, but not very well; only because I took his class so we hadn't had much interaction otherwise. It worked out though.

eLOR= electronic letter of reference

Electronic. I have to say I get irrationally annoyed when people write the "e" part of it. If you were speaking out loud you wouldn't say the word "electronic" every time.

Ahem. Please ignore my craziness.

Electronic. I have to say I get irrationally annoyed when people write the "e" part of it. If you were speaking out loud you wouldn't say the word "electronic" every time.

Ahem. Please ignore my craziness.

Heh! I get your frustration, but it is sort of funny. Also funny that it wasn't obvious to me what that meant. ;)

Hijacking this thread to ask another random LOR question...I have two vets who I'll be asking for LORs (one has been my supervisor at the shelter I've volunteered at for over a year and the other is my supervisor at my avian hospital internship), but I don't have a Biology or even any other science professor who I would feel comfortable asking for an LOR.
My question is: Would a letter from an English professor be acceptable? The professor who I have in mind has taught three different classes that I've been in, and I'm going to have a fourth class with him next semester. He knows me really well and knows more about my work ethic and everything than anybody else who I could possibly get a letter from. Would the fact that he teaches literature classes be a problem?

Hijacking this thread to ask another random LOR question...I have two vets who I'll be asking for LORs (one has been my supervisor at the shelter I've volunteered at for over a year and the other is my supervisor at my avian hospital internship), but I don't have a Biology or even any other science professor who I would feel comfortable asking for an LOR.
My question is: Would a letter from an English professor be acceptable? The professor who I have in mind has taught three different classes that I've been in, and I'm going to have a fourth class with him next semester. He knows me really well and knows more about my work ethic and everything than anybody else who I could possibly get a letter from. Would the fact that he teaches literature classes be a problem?

I think in the context where you have two strong vet LORs that no, it wouldn't be a problem. Presumably this third one would write a glowing LOR that speaks strongly to the personal characteristics you want highlighted on your application. Better that than a science professor who writes a rather nonspecific-but-positive LOR.

I think in the context where you have two strong vet LORs that no, it wouldn't be a problem. Presumably this third one would write a glowing LOR that speaks strongly to the personal characteristics you want highlighted on your application. Better that than a science professor who writes a rather nonspecific-but-positive LOR.

Thanks, that makes sense. I thought it might be especially appropriate considering my second major is writing and my minor is lit, and I definitely want that side of who I am (a writer and literature enthusiast) to be included in my application.

I had 4 LORs (2 vets, 1 vet/prof, 1 prof): 1 small animal that I shadowed, 1 large animal that I shadowed, 1 vet that is my advisor and I've taken vet tech classes under her, 1 honors program director. I chose my honors director so that I could have the "personal characteristics" others have mentioned and to show that I am well-rounded.