random or sequential?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moto_za

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it better to take the aamc mcats in random order or sequential? Does it just mean the difficulty level for sequential? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have no idea what the point of random order is, but sequential (I believe) just means they are in the sequential order of the real thing. They are not limited by difficulty level of questions unless you check one of those boxes.

I always chose sequential, and that format was structured just like the real MCAT was. It alternates between passages and discretes with the final couple of questions being discretes (again, just like the real thing).

I guess I don't know what RANDOM would accomplish, but sequential is NOT progressively more difficult.

EDIT: I checked it out

RANDOM just puts the passages in random order.
i.e. you get passage 6 first, then passage 3, then passage 1, etc.

SEQUENTIAL is obviously the way to go

I think the OP is talking about starting with AAMC test 3, 4, 5, 6 etc. Am I right? In than case, yes, the earlier tests ARE easier because they are from the early to mid 90's! The test has changed quite a bit since then. From what I've heard and experienced, the more recent AAMC tests are a better representation of what you can expect on test day. Good luck :)