Random question about abbreviations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheLadyVanishes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already submitted my primary so it's too late lol, but on my secondaries, I'm trying to work around character limits by using abbreviations.

1.) Is it ok to use an abbreviation for a school name if they themselves use it in the secondary questions? (example: "What is your specific interest in the MD Program at GW?" can I refer to the school as GW?)

2.) Can I abbreviate other institutions? I mean, I figure that even a school in the Midwest or East Coast would recognize UCSD, and I don't have to type out University of California - San Diego if I'm referring to education or work experience.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are trying this hard to get around character limits then I would suggest that you are likely being too verbose. Keep it succinct! Schools have a lot of these to read, I would fear sending them into ZZZZZZZZZZZ territory. Standard format is to write it out the first time then abbreviate after that, I would stick with it.

Survivor DO