Random question about MTM and malpractice insurance...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BeLikeBueller

Doctor of Comic Relief
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I know malpractice insurance for pharmacists tends to be pretty cheap, but I just had this random thought.

If someone were to do strictly MTM (no dispensing role whatsoever), would they still need malpractice insurance?

I would imagine probably so, since you would be making recommendations for therapy and still be counseling folks, but I just wanted to get some other thoughts about the matter.
 
So I know malpractice insurance for pharmacists tends to be pretty cheap, but I just had this random thought.

If someone were to do strictly MTM (no dispensing role whatsoever), would they still need malpractice insurance?

I would imagine probably so, since you would be making recommendations for therapy and still be counseling folks, but I just wanted to get some other thoughts about the matter.


Absolutely. One could argue that MTM is more within the scope of pharmacy practice than dispensing. Even if you give a neighbor advice on a OTC med you should have your own policy.
 
Absolutely. One could argue that MTM is more within the scope of pharmacy practice than dispensing. Even if you give a neighbor advice on a OTC med you should have your own policy.

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured in today's overly-litigious society - just wondering since there really isn't anyone doing strictly MTM right now (there are a few I've heard of...but few and far in-between).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would love to have a 100% MTM job... unfortunately its one of those unicorn jobs.

It is if you want to work for a company...

But there are plenty of opportunities to start your own mtm practice ..

Outcomes MTM .. already pays more per hour than dispensing.. if you are motivated
 
I just got a gig reviewing CMRs done by students working for another MTM company and I'm using my personal liability policy to cover that work.
ab