random question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yumimartian

yumimartian
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how many dentists smoke?

Members don't see this ad.

um, i don't think anyone is going to know the exact answer to that one... :)

try making a poll which asks how many pre-dents on SDN smoke regulary.

i'll have to admit, i always think it's a bit strange seeing health professionals smoking.

At Case, I do see quite a few DS smoke during parties and stuff....I guess this is their way of relieving the stress.

Members don't see this ad :)
the dentist i shadowed smoked. i always thought it was weird. he would take a break between patients to go smoke a cigerette. he always had a bottle of scope handy...haha

IWuvTeef said:
i'll have to admit, i always think it's a bit strange seeing health professionals smoking.
Yea tell me about it. At the hospital where I work, half of the Doc,s and nurses I know smoke. duh

dentwannabe said:
SMOKE WHAT is the question........ :laugh:

I think smoking pot would wreak havoc on the fine motor skills required to perfom dentistry.

edkNARF said:
I think smoking pot would wreak havoc on the fine motor skills required to perfom dentistry.

yea you wouldn't want a really looney and disoriented doctor working on you. hehe.

Not to mention they may get cavities from all the Dorritos.

yohan520 said:
Not to mention they may get cavities from all the Dorritos.

Mmmmmmmm. Doritos.

Smoking is bad for the dentist but not massively detrimental to the patient. I always wonder about how many dentists are alcholics or drug users because that directly can affect the patient.

my dentist smokes;)

Members don't see this ad :)
My dentist growing up chewed tobacco, lol. I wonder what the faculty would say to dental students that chewed tobacco, anyone experienced or seen this at their d-school?

cigarretts: no.
weed: HELL YES!
cigars: occasionally when star gazing after hitting up a martini lounge

I had a dentist work on me and I could smell the cigs on his breath. I never went back. I think it is gross and weird for someone in a health profession.

I think drugs could become a big problem because pills are available to those in the medical profession. Recently, one of the dentist I shadowed committed suicide. The rumor is that he had a drug problem and was being investigated and was probably going to lose his licence. Scary and sad stuff to think about.

souperman said:
I had a dentist work on me and I could smell the cigs on his breath. I never went back. I think it is gross and weird for someone in a health profession.

I think drugs could become a big problem because pills are available to those in the medical profession. Recently, one of the dentist I shadowed committed suicide. The rumor is that he had a drug problem and was being investigated and was probably going to lose his licence. Scary and sad stuff to think about.

Dentistry can be a really stressful profession. I questioned a dentist about why there is supposedly a high rate of suicide for dentists and she mentioned to me that it's due to the fact that at the end of the day, she replays the details of the treatments she had performed on her patients...whether it was done correctly or incorrectly. For her that's the most stressful part. But other than that, she loves her job which is the most important thing

Ill be a dentist in 3 years, and I can tell you straight up that Ill still be smoking the occasional joint, and taking a bong hit now and then.....and that goes for Cuban cigars as well!! I absolutely love them!

When I shadowed my dentist, I used to go in high sometimes....I feel that it actually kept me more attentive to details!!! Of course I would reek of marijuana, but I would just dose the cologne on....I think being high could actually help my motor skills as a real dentist!! :D

I don't see any problems doing pot once or twice a month and actually see myself doing it while in dental school. Brain does need to rest sometimes and playing chess or reading a book is not an option after a heavy intensive material.

As far as cigarettes go, I quit cold turkey and haven’t had a cigarette since the beginning of January 2005. Hopefully, it’ll stay this way :idea:

At San antonio, there's no smoking anywhere on the HSC grounds. I think that if all dental/medical schools had similar rules, there would be a lot more people in this thread... and eventually, a lot less Drs. smoking between patients. To me it just doesn't seem like good business... I mean... even if you go against your standards as a dentist by smoking, can't you wait till the end of the day when you won't scare off the first-time patients?

We had a guest Perio faculty lecturer come in to teach us for a week. Every lecture he'd harp on how smoking affected gingival tissues, etc., etc.

Then, during our hourly breaks, he'd make a beeline to the parking lot to smoke. Students would attempt to ask him questions and he'd push them out of the way in order to get to his car.

Funny stuff.

Then, during our hourly breaks, he'd make a beeline to the parking lot to smoke. Students would attempt to ask him questions and he'd push them out of the way in order to get to his car.

Funny stuff.[/QUOTE]

Does anyone find that kinda hypocritical?

my dentist (whom i also work for) smokes - but is fanatical about his scope bottle always being full.

the oral surgeon i work for chews all day - even when we are doing oral cancer biopsies - that always makes me chuckle getting the specimin ready for the pathologist.