bel138

5+ Year Member
May 4, 2010
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
1. Are interview invites basically over? I haven't gotten anything for a few weeks, and frankly I'm disappointed and worried about the number.

2. Is a suit a given for interviews? I mean, I have nothing against suits, but if I threw in a button down with french cuffs, sweater vest and skirt with heels would that be a no-no?

Aug 19, 2010
Status
Medical Student
1. Are interview invites basically over? I haven't gotten anything for a few weeks, and frankly I'm disappointed and worried about the number.

2. Is a suit a given for interviews? I mean, I have nothing against suits, but if I threw in a button down with french cuffs, sweater vest and skirt with heels would that be a no-no?
1. Interview invites are not over at all. However, I believe that the less competetive programs do tend to send out interview offers much earlier in the interview process. This rule is not strict or hard, and many programs are still waiting to send out their first interview invites. I would expect a "second wind" to come after MSPE release on Nov 1.

2. As a rule, I would wear a suit. Wearing a suit will never go against you. Not wearing a suit could go against you. Why chance it, especially if you are worried about the number of interview offers you've gotten?

twilightdoc

Attending
Jun 12, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
As far as I am aware, only a handful of programs are holding out for the MSPEs this year before issuing ANY invitations, but some programs who started earlier are still reviewing applications and sending out invitations.

And regarding "the interview dress code", dressing in a tasteful manner is probably sufficient. True, most interviewees (male and female) do wear dark suits, such that the groups look like clones, plaintiff's attorneys, accountants, etc. while on the group tours. If you don't wear a suit, I would try to avoid "standing out" in the negative with what you wear. You want to be remembered for who you are, not what you wore. This is an important job interview, not a trip to the disco. But I don't think a suit is mandatory.

Jul 25, 2010
Status
If you are interviewing in NY at least, I disagree. Wear a suit. I really think wearing anything else makes you come across as a norm-stretcher....ie, the type of person who also might dress down a notch on the wards (sneakers, pseudo-jeans, no white coat on teams that expect you to wear a white coat, etc etc). Appearance matters on the interview front, and is so much easier to get "right" than every other thing you will be judged on (boards, grades, etc). Just do it!

OP
B

bel138

5+ Year Member
May 4, 2010
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I'm mainly thinking of an outfit that would basically just be taking my suit jacket off. Nothing crazy. I would think that the "clone" look would be a bad thing, making you less memorable. If I were a guy, I don't think I would do it. But I think women have much more variety in "business" wear, just the same as "formal" wear. But I'd rather play it safe than sorry. Thanks guys.

generic

Senile Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2004
Houston
Status
Attending Physician
A female neo attending I'm working with recently lamented the total lack of variety in the clothing of our residency applicants (who were touring the NICU). She said if she ever interviews for any other job she's gonna wear a red suit or something so she'll stand out in a tasteful way.

She said a bunch of people walking around in black suits makes her think of lawyers, etc (as mentioned above) and not doctors.

This is Texas. May not be applicable to the actual USA ;)

Jul 14, 2009
Status
1) I think there will definately be trickle down, so everyone should get a 2nd round of interview invites. Even if only the top programs hold out past nov 1... I got 3 new interviews, and I cancelled 3 of my other interviews. I imagine whoever gets my openned spaces will also drop an interview or 2... until it trickles down to people who don't feel comfortable dropping any interviews. These next 2 weeks, I would imagine will be busy again, and then it will start tapering off (that's my guess)

2) It's weird, but from my interviews thus far, I would say you have to be careful. One girl stood out b/c she wore a beige button up blouse when everyone else wore a suit. I thought she looked too dressed down. I haven't seen anyone in a sweater. Honestly, I thought the beige blouse looked drap and uninspired... kinda like she didn't care to wear her good clothes to this interview. I dont think you want that notion popping into the heads of any admissions folks even for a second, even if it is something superficial that they get over. b/c 2 months later they won't remember you well and will just remember that gut feeling they formed in the first 30 seconds before you spoke and proved how awesome you were.

In peds, I feel it'd be better, if you are going to buck the trend and go suitless, to wear something memorable. Just remember, any hint of you being "high maintenance" or "self-centered, poor team player" will really be exaggerated. But if you are polite and dont' try to hog the spotlight all the time, I think you would be just fine. But if your personality is already even slightly histrionic, I wouldn't chance the unique threads.

Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
If you get "forgotten" on a rank list because you wore a black suit on interview day like everyone else, you were probably forgettable in the first place. Just being honest. If you want to be different, get a suit in a different but subtle color, navy blue with stripes or for example I have an olive wool suit that works very well. But please don't think that a "boring" suit will decrease your chances of getting ranked highly. I interview applicants. If you deserve to come, your suit has nothing to do with it. I can't remember any one person's suit that has come through and matched.

focus on being awesome on interview day and prepare appropriately.