Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I want a starter kit... or maybe I just need to noob mod... just to see how the spreadsheets and balancing the games and all that work... then I think I have enough of a game worked up to make it happen, but I wanna know I did it right first and that would take some hand holding, cause I'm a wuss and don't want to hear crap about noobs making games unless it's completely unjustified hazing. (Aka, I wanna be awesome first time out)
General suggestion is that you play a good number of games and mod with someone more experienced a few times before you strike out on your own. You can also ask an experienced mod to look over your game design.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, I am just waiting for your school to catch on that the first year rotations really don't help and to drop them like a hot potato.
Good thing you've been through them yourself and have formed this opinion ;)

While I don't appreciate the times I'm sitting around, applying what I've learned in just 8 weeks already is pretty irreplaceable. I've also learned skills those most veterinary students don't even touch until their last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good thing you've been through them yourself and have formed this opinion ;)

While I don't appreciate the times I'm sitting around, applying what I've learned in just 8 weeks already is pretty irreplaceable. I've also learned skills those most veterinary students don't even touch until their last year.

And what skills are those? Because I have a very good feeling the majority of veterinary students have learned them well before final year.

And what skills are those? Because I have a very good feeling the majority of veterinary students have learned them well before final year.
Suturing, imaging, whatever. We get to do those things on our rotation and in our clinical skills building. Maybe you learned this all when you were five, that's great. I'm just surprised that you of all people would judge something that you have no experience with. Unless your school did do early rotations, in which case I retract.

Looking at their curriculums on their websites, we're still the only school that does what we do. It looks like Oklahoma has a 1 credit class mixed in with didactic lectures, and then the 2+2 curriculums just have a full two years of clinics. We have 8 weeks of just rotations each year with no didactic lectures. I guess you can say it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other if you want, but no other school sends first/second years on an entire quarter of strictly clinical rotationsn. Western says they have a few hours of clinical work a week. I think PBC's question was referring to the fact that I'm on a full rotation schedule as a first year, but maybe I misinterpreted haha.

I personally would rather just have an extra semester as an upperclassman on clinics, but that's just me! It is nice to have a quarter away from sitting in a lecture hall.
you are incorrect. I had at least 1 week on "clinical rotations" in various fields starting from I think 2nd semester first year. We also had PBL learning cases at least 1 week per semester. And a clinical skills class called physical diagnosis. So your school may have "full quarter rotations" but it's not that unique.

Suturing, imaging, whatever. We get to do those things on our rotation and in our clinical skills building. Maybe you learned this all when you were five, that's great. I'm just surprised that you of all people would judge something that you have no experience with. Unless your school did do early rotations, in which case I retract.
I learned all of that first year during our clinical skills course. While I won't deny that those skills are helpful, I will say that I don't think learning those in first year is unique to your school.
I'd imagine your opinion of that is coming from your school as they probably tell you that your experiences are unique to your school -- it's similar to what happened with me and my school telling us that we will get more surgical experience than students at other schools. It may be true for certain individuals, but it's not a universal thing. My, personal, surgical experience may be greater than other students but I wouldn't say that every student in my school has more surgical experience than every student at another school. Although, that mentality is what my school wants students to believe.

I learned all of that first year during our clinical skills course. While I won't deny that those skills are helpful, I will say that I don't think learning those in first year is unique to your school.
I'd imagine your opinion of that is coming from your school as they probably tell you that your experiences are unique to your school -- it's similar to what happened with me and my school telling us that we will get more surgical experience than students at other schools. It may be true for certain individuals, but it's not a universal thing. My, personal, surgical experience may be greater than other students but I wouldn't say that every student in my school has more surgical experience than every student at another school. Although, that mentality is what my school wants students to believe.
They really tried to sell that to all of us on the interview days.

We had no rotations before 4th year. But we still covered that kind of stuff before 4th year. Suturing was introduced in 2nd year, and reinforced in 3rd year with live surgeries. I would think most schools would at least introduce this stuff before 4th year.

It's just the suggestion being made that it is better. It isn't and you don't really have the knowledge to relate things clinically. I can guarantee every school covers those things before final year in clinical skills labs and almost every school has a junior surgery course. I think you are getting the info that somehow your school is unique in all of this from the school, but it isn't.

I really don't think hanging out in clinics for 8 weeks first year is any better than clinical skills labs. Not only that but if they are giving first years opportunities to do things on patients it takes away from the fourth years who need to build up and improve their skills prior to graduating.

People on the APVMA page have me like.... :rolleyes: Don't argue with me and make yourself look stupid when I bring the info down on you. lol.

After making a wild guess about who you are based on your un, at least you're one of the only voices of reason on there...

I have an air tight secret identity. ;).

But in all seriousness, like, really? 11 people apply per seat? Come on! I went to YouTube so that I would back away from the situation. I got sassy there for a second and realized it would go downhill from there (though I don't regret said sass). That page might get culled from my Facebook when I do my New Years friend culling.

Members don't see this ad :)
If there's one part of an application I dislike most, it's the references. I feel like I'm terrible at networking (my feelings vs. reality might be skewed on that). When I'm asked to provide three or more non-employer/non-supervisor references that I've known for 5+ years (I had to do this today for a kennel job), I have to think about who I want to ask. This always makes me a little nervous, probably because I have people trust issues.

If there's one part of an application I dislike most, it's the references. I feel like I'm terrible at networking (my feelings vs. reality might be skewed on that). When I'm asked to provide three or more non-employer/non-supervisor references that I've known for 5+ years (I had to do this today for a kennel job), I have to think about who I want to ask. This always makes me a little nervous, probably because I have people trust issues.
I'm always nervous about the non-employer/non-supervisor references because people who know me know have only known me three years, but people from back home who knew me longer don't know me today.

It's just the suggestion being made that it is better. It isn't and you don't really have the knowledge to relate things clinically. I can guarantee every school covers those things before final year in clinical skills labs and almost every school has a junior surgery course. I think you are getting the info that somehow your school is unique in all of this from the school, but it isn't.

I really don't think hanging out in clinics for 8 weeks first year is any better than clinical skills labs. Not only that but if they are giving first years opportunities to do things on patients it takes away from the fourth years who need to build up and improve their skills prior to graduating.
I never said it was better. I said I find it helpful.
you are incorrect. I had at least 1 week on "clinical rotations" in various fields starting from I think 2nd semester first year. We also had PBL learning cases at least 1 week per semester. And a clinical skills class called physical diagnosis. So your school may have "full quarter rotations" but it's not that unique.
So, like I said, we are the only school that does what we do....

But in all seriousness, like, really? 11 people apply per seat? Come on! I went to YouTube so that I would back away from the situation. I got sassy there for a second and realized it would go downhill from there (though I don't regret said sass). That page might get culled from my Facebook when I do my New Years friend culling.
Ha, this guy is cranky.

I saw that this morning! I was planning on addressing that when I got to my lunch break but you beat me to it. He clearly doesn't understand how applying works. He said something a few days back that I wanted to object to as well but I can't remember where it was. I find that this page has a lot of random new faces that interject with random/unfactual info, and then those faces disappear.

Or they just ask about having a C or being a tech first.

I saw that this morning! I was planning on addressing that when I got to my lunch break but you beat me to it. He clearly doesn't understand how applying works. He said something a few days back that I wanted to object to as well but I can't remember where it was. I find that this page has a lot of random new faces that interject with random/unfactual info, and then those faces disappear.

Or they just ask about having a C or being a tech first.

I haven't been back on Facebook yet today, so I have yet to see what he said to my sassy cookie remark ;). I'll update you! lol. This is the situation that will probably break the camel's back and be the reason why I leave the group. I'm also thinking of contacting the exec board, but that probably won't do crap. Though you never know..... Maybe.....

And, as always, you're welcome to join me against the incorrect pre-vet crusaders! lol.

I haven't been back on Facebook yet today, so I have yet to see what he said to my sassy cookie remark ;). I'll update you! lol. This is the situation that will probably break the camel's back and be the reason why I leave the group. I'm also thinking of contacting the exec board, but that probably won't do crap. Though you never know..... Maybe.....

And, as always, you're welcome to join me against the incorrect pre-vet crusaders! lol.
you can also inform him that vet schools don't preferentially take males. He seems really confused. His chances are much lower than average...

you can also inform him that vet schools don't preferentially take males. He seems really confused. His chances are much lower than average...

I wanted to point out to him that if he is applying to NC State as his instate, he has no chance of getting in with a 3.0. They have a cut off of 3.25 I think. But since all I know is that his college is in NC State, I don't really know what his in-state is. So I didn't bring that up.

I just e-mailed the entire exec board for the APVMA and their advisors and I got an e-mail back saying that the President is no longer available. The gossip ***** inside me finds that interesting.

I wanted to point out to him that if he is applying to NC State as his instate, he has no chance of getting in with a 3.0. They have a cut off of 3.25 I think. But since all I know is that his college is in NC State, I don't really know what his in-state is. So I didn't bring that up.

I just e-mailed the entire exec board for the APVMA and their advisors and I got an e-mail back saying that the President is no longer available. The gossip ***** inside me finds that interesting.
Oh I just meant with his inability to read a single page and comprehend, his chances are essentially nil

Reactions: 5 users
Oh, I see what you're saying. lol. Truth to that.

I want to, but I can't with this one. He just doesn't get it.

He's just going downhill now. That one girl that was on his side has probably turned from him now.

Whatever you use, I'm sure you'll last longer in the zombie apocalypse than I will.
Seriously, rooftop of a grocery store with a freight elevator, shotgun, sniper rifle and zombies won't stand a chance. Plus you could grow plants in the garden section, graze a few animals out...

You'd be just fine with a little ingenuity!

Edit: Dammit autocorrect, we talked about this! Don't Chand words when you don't know what is going on!

Reactions: 1 users
Seriously, rooftop of a grocery store with a freight elevator, shotgun, sniper rifle and zombies won't stand a chance. Plus you could grow plants in the garden section, graze a few animals out...

You'd be just fine with a little ingenuity!

Edit: Dammit autocorrect, we talked about this! Don't Chand words when you don't know what is going on!

Hey, there's no reason to get all politically correct now, we're talking about a zombie apocalypse. I'd be done the first day. Unless you want to Hodor it and carry me around. Then we'd both be done after a week :p.

Hey, there's no reason to get all politically correct now, we're talking about a zombie apocalypse. I'd be done the first day. Unless you want to Hodor it and carry me around. Then we'd both be done after a week :p.
you and me both. I'd trip and break something and be zombie food. My one possibility of survival is that I have some zombie ligaments and they may see me as one of them

Reactions: 2 users
So I saw what everyone was replying to.. that guy is the dumb.

But this:

"And to clear things up, SMU is not accredited so there is one exam you need to take before NAVLE."

This poor guy he says he is at SMU already, he is going to be in for a very sad day when he realizes it is not just one exam before NAVLE.

you and me both. I'd trip and break something and be zombie food. My one possibility of survival is that I have some zombie ligaments and they may see me as one of them

We'd be the world's slowest zombies, always hungry.

When it said 6 friends responding to one thread, it piqued my interest. 100+ comments on comments later
Hmm. I should check back again for the lulz. I was busy watching Jessica Jones for a few hours.

P.S. I know Minner already corrected you but I had to fix it before I could reply. I had to.

Just out of curiosity, I went and checked this out. I was a little disappointed that as the person giving "correct" statistics, you cited a wrong one.

The applicant to seat ratio in 2014 for accredited schools was 1.6 applicants per seat.

http://aavmc.org/data/files/reports/annual report 2015 aavmc_final_r.pdf

When I'm asked to provide three or more non-employer/non-supervisor references that I've known for 5+ years (I had to do this today for a kennel job), I have to think about who I want to ask.
Huh, I've never come across a job wanting references like that. About the only people I can think of that fit those criteria for me are family members, and my best friend. If personal references are a no-go either, I have no idea who I'd put down. Maybe my dance teachers, but I haven't seen or really talked to them in over five years.

ETA: Just noticed I now have my "2+ year member" badge thingy. Awww yissssss.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, I went and checked this out. I was a little disappointed that as the person giving "correct" statistics, you cited a wrong one.

The applicant to seat ratio in 2014 for accredited schools was 1.6 applicants per seat.

Darn. I wonder where I got the 1.2. Maybe I remembered it from the "multiple times applicants" thread a while back. That's where I got my AAVMC stats from. It doesn't change my point much, but it is definitely poor form for sure.

I did get the 1.2 from that thread. The AAVMC info there was from 2014, not 2015. So I did have the right statistic, just an older one. Didn't catch that.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/multiple-attempts-applicants.1121490/

I don't think that was the statistic she was referring to. She's talking about applications per seat, you're talking about number of times applicants apply before they matriculate :p

Ooh good. I no longer know how to read. Lol. It is obviously time for Christmas Break. I apologize on all accounts.

I did get the 1.2 from that thread. The AAVMC info there was from 2014, not 2015. So I did have the right statistic, just an older one. Didn't catch that.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/multiple-attempts-applicants.1121490/

You mean 2:1.

But that's my point, an obsolete number is NOT a right statistic.

Otherwise anyone can cite the 3.3 to 1 ratio (only 30% of applicants getting accepted) from 1980 to say how horrendously competitive vet school is, when now a days, competition is half as fierce.

It's gotten easier as the number of seats have gone up. Over 62% of all applicants get into vet schools each year now, up from 50%.