Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UGH I want more Stranger Things already!

I’m still sobbing :cryi:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@katashark @acanthuroidei @Coopah @britzen bump!

img.jpeg.png

Reactions: 2 users
So there’s this client at work who’s super nice, is pretty high-profile in the area when it comes to animals, and has referred like 6 people to us already which is awesome. He’s from Slovakia originally and has an interesting accent that sounded almost strangely familiar but I couldn’t put my finger on it. Then the other day I realized what it was. He sounds like Coach Steve from Big Mouth. And now I can’t look at him the same way.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Next week I have a 14 hour flight to Africa. Looking for ebooks, podcast and Netflix shows/movies (downloadable) so that I don't loose my sanity on the flight.

Next week I have a 14 hour flight to Africa. Looking for ebooks, podcast and Netflix shows/movies (downloadable) so that I don't loose my sanity on the flight.
Dexter, Better Call Saul, and Breaking Bad are great shows to bing if you haven’t seen one or all of them. The episodes are long and there are enough to get you through the entire trip.

Side note, take frequent trips to the bathroom, pace a bit in the aisles, and use saline spray in your nose during the trip.

I just take a Dramamine and pass the **** out :rofl:
Got an Rx for Valium for that. I start losing my mind at about the 6 hour mark cause I get antsy and uncomfortable and can't sleep and then it just builds on itself.

Dexter, Better Call Saul, and Breaking Bad are great shows to bing if you haven’t seen one or all of them. The episodes are long and there are enough to get you through the entire trip.

Side note, take frequent trips to the bathroom, pace a bit in the aisles, and use saline spray in your nose during the trip.
Ohh Breaking Bad would be a good idea. I started it like 2 years ago and never finished it. I had also been thinking about the Walking Dead cause I stopped watching that and could binge it.

Reactions: 3 users
Ohh Breaking Bad would be a good idea. I started it like 2 years ago and never finished it. I had also been thinking about the Walking Dead cause I stopped watching that and could binge it.
Warning about The Walking Dead: it gets really stupid around like season 5ish(?). It just ends up being the same thing over and over with different names. Find safe place, trust people there, safe place is bad, barely escape, a couple people die, repeat. But I do think that the first few seasons are great and have a lot of rewatch value. Plus the best character (Hershel) is a veterinarian soooooooo ya know

Warning about The Walking Dead: it gets really stupid around like season 5ish(?). It just ends up being the same thing over and over with different names. Find safe place, trust people there, safe place is bad, barely escape, a couple people die, repeat. But I do think that the first few seasons are great and have a lot of rewatch value. Plus the best character (Hershel) is a veterinarian soooooooo ya know

I stopped watching in my 4th year of vet school which probably explains why I got bored with it cause that's around season 5/6.

I’ve been rewatching Scrubs this summer in my time off/ while I paint, and I forgot this absolute classic line and had to go back because I was laughing too hard.

“Now, you went to four years of college, and four years of medical school. So I can safely presume that you are at least 8.”

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
If you haven't finished BB, it's pretty solid all the way through. I've finally binged it twice now. TWD (binged Seasons 1-8 then stopped) changed writers from season to season and milked their monies, and I found myself yelling "WHO WRITES THIS CRAP?!?" many times. I have MANY screenshots I took and will write a photo essay some day with stern words on how stupid it is.

BB all. the. way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Next week I have a 14 hour flight to Africa.
<edited out free airplane wi-fi loophole in case it still works>

Edit: As this is Pre-Vet and is open to the entire Web without logging into SDN (including spiders/bots), I think I'll delete the loophole lest I ruin it for everyone.

Edit 2: For those interested and are logged into SDN, link to the Lounge post where I talked about it: Chillin Thread May 2018 post from the skyyyy

Last edited:
Next week I have a 14 hour flight to Africa

Owww, my back, Let me off, let me off! Stop this thing! The longest flight I've ever been on was 9 hours. It was three connecting flights so I had some time off the plane but it was still torture.

Now I'm curious as to how SDN is contributing to this. I think it's awesome that both VIN and the APVMA is stressing the cost of school in the advertisements. But SDN seems to frequently counter a lot of the info on the APVMA.

Owww, my back, Let me off, let me off! Stop this thing! The longest flight I've ever been on was 9 hours. It was three connecting flights so I had some time off the plane but it was still torture.
that's nothing! lol
It took about 24 hours to get to Tanzania. 2 approximately 11 hour flights with a short layover in Amsterdam :p but it was worth it for sure

Now I'm curious as to how SDN is contributing to this. I think it's awesome that both VIN and the APVMA is stressing the cost of school in the advertisements. But SDN seems to frequently counter a lot of the info on the APVMA.
my fave part: "Tony Bartels, DMV"
:rofl:

• Haha
I binged the first season of Veronica Mars this weekend. I have a million and one other things to be doing, which naturally means I spent my Saturday in pajamas watching a show I've already seen. :cool: Now I need to finish (read: start) a take home exam for stats and I'm looking for my motivation but I have no idea where it's gone off to.

That's interesting. I hope he puts out good information. Unfortunately from the few info sessions with Bartles I've attended at a symposium booth and webinar he harps alot on repayment for everyone period. When questioned the answers haven't been so great and open to the fact that paying the traditional way may be the best way for some people. Does it apply to the majority?sure but not everyone like he make it seem.

Lol didn’t we get yelled at by one of them like 6 months ago for supposedly giving people garbage recommendations or some bull****?

Update: it was actually VMCAS and just over a year ago (whaatt)
Parody thread by @WildZoo :

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
That's interesting. I hope he puts out good information. Unfortunately from the few info sessions with Bartles I've attended at a symposium booth and webinar he harps alot on repayment for everyone period. When questioned the answers haven't been so great and open to the fact that paying the traditional way may be the best way for some people. Does it apply to the majority?sure but not everyone like he make it seem.
Huh, that's interesting because when he spoke to us at Music city vet conference in February he talked about the importance of doing the loan repayment simulator and doing traditional repayment if your loans are low enough that you would end up paying less in the long run that way. He didn't talk much about it beyond that because the focus was on getting people to understand how the income based repayment works, and that you need to save for taxes and everything, but he definitely mentioned doing standard plans if your loans are low enough and income high enough to make it worth it.

Huh, that's interesting because when he spoke to us at Music city vet conference in February he talked about the importance of doing the loan repayment simulator and doing traditional repayment if your loans are low enough that you would end up paying less in the long run that way. He didn't talk much about it beyond that because the focus was on getting people to understand how the income based repayment works, and that you need to save for taxes and everything, but he definitely mentioned doing standard plans if your loans are low enough and income high enough to make it worth it.
I'm glad you had a different experience than I did.The first webinar I went to was like his first one though so I am sure he has tweaked it some which is good!

Hello lovely people, can anyone get me access to this paper?

Bush, A. O., Aho, J. M., & Kennedy, C. R. (1990). Ecological versus phylogenetic determinants of helminth parasite community richness. Evolutionary Ecology, 4(1), 1-20.

Interlibrary loan takes forever.

Hello lovely people, can anyone get me access to this paper?

Bush, A. O., Aho, J. M., & Kennedy, C. R. (1990). Ecological versus phylogenetic determinants of helminth parasite community richness. Evolutionary Ecology, 4(1), 1-20.

Interlibrary loan takes forever.

Parasite community richness...the things I never thought I’d hear :laugh:

• Haha

I think it’s because for a vast majority of people it is the best way, and he encounters so many people who are losing out. But if you’ve looked at the student debt folder on VIN, he really does make individual recommendations that makes sense for each person, and some of that includes payoff. If you’re not in the financial position of the majority of financially screwed vet students, maybe count your blessings and do your own thing (or ask specifically about your situation on VIN and get specific feedback, which is the appropriate forum for it) rather than be pissy that someone is trying to be helpful for the vast majority of people who are truly screwed so that they can be less screwed. I feel like it’s similar to going to a nutrition seminar where the nutritionist is going to talk about commercial grain-inclusive diets that fit WSAVA guidelines, and being annoyed they don’t talk about the rare cases where home cooked diets are necessary or won’t answer that deeply about it.

I say that as someone who paid off my loans and did my own thing because it made sense for me. I think overall, he’s really doing a huge service for vet students and vets in debt. I still signed up for PAYE for the first three years until I got kicked out of it year 4 due to having too low of a balance relative to my income, to have a backup in place I lost my job or something or if I had huge expenses one month where I needed the cash. I moved around jobs a lot, so I’m glad I had done that.

Reactions: 1 users
Lol didn’t we get yelled at by one of them like 6 months ago for supposedly giving people garbage recommendations or some bull****?

Update: it was actually VMCAS and just over a year ago (whaatt)

I mean.... they do have a point. Just like any online advice giving forum open to every Joe Schmoe to comment, you do have to be very careful what advice you take. Be especially wary of the prevets who just got into vet school who appoint themselves experts on all things vet school and veterinary profession. You never know who got accepted due to their qualifications/application strategy vs. who got accepted despite them. Not everyone who gets accepted have stellar applications. People here have ripped on APVMA for years for the “bull****” advice/ignorance spewed all over FB. But like, it’s honestly not that much better here a lot of the time...

Messed up quote format
Yes but the vast majority of the advice here is to contact the schools you’re applying to because it’s generally always a question for the schools that people on here don’t have an answer to. People can have anecdotal answers for what was told to them by the school, but most everyone on here is telling people to go ask the schools. Or to go to the cheapest school you get accepted to.

Yes but the vast majority of the advice here is to contact the schools you’re applying to because it’s generally always a question for the schools that people on here don’t have an answer to. People can have anecdotal answers for what was told to them by the school, but most everyone on here is telling people to go ask the schools. Or to go to the cheapest school you get accepted to.
I’m pretty sure that’s not what they’re referring to... and I’m not sure I agree with your take on answers being >50% contact the school about everything application related. But whatevs. Your opinion is valid.

The bigger issue last year when he posted that was that he made that thread in response to people saying to monitor costs.

Basically a bunch of us were making the recommendation that applicants be very aware of the costs of applying and vet school itself before just haphazardly applying everywhere. He jumped in about how people need to apply to lots of schools to increase their chances and the money doesn't matter. When numerous of us explained to him it does matter and why, he then created that thread.

It was basically like a stiff middle finger to the people providing solid advice about the financial implications that he has no ****ing clue about and shouldn't be commenting or advising on.

He's in charge of VMCAS of course he has an invested interest in applicants applying to as many places as possible....their financial future be damned.

Reactions: 4 users
The bigger issue last year when he posted that was that he made that thread in response to people saying to monitor costs.

Basically a bunch of us were making the recommendation that applicants be very aware of the costs of applying and vet school itself before just haphazardly applying everywhere. He jumped in about how people need to apply to lots of schools to increase their chances and the money doesn't matter. When numerous of us explained to him it does matter and why, he then created that thread.

It was basically like a stiff middle finger to the people providing solid advice about the financial implications that he has no ****ing clue about and shouldn't be commenting or advising on.

He's in charge of VMCAS of course he has an invested interest in applicants applying to as many places as possible....their financial future be damned.
Ah, I see. That’s sad.

Ah, I see. That’s sad.

He even had the audacity to mention the suicide rate and claim it is related to people being unhappy in their vet school location for the 4 years of school. Wouldn't acknowledge at all when we posted that isn't a reason for the suicide rate and is more related to debt, unrealistic expectations, etc after graduation.

Honestly, he should've lost his job after the things he posted.

He even had the audacity to mention the suicide rate and claim it is related to people being unhappy in their vet school location for the 4 years of school. Wouldn't acknowledge at all when we posted that isn't a reason for the suicide rate and is more related to debt, unrealistic expectations, etc after graduation.

Honestly, he should've lost his job after the things he posted.
Well I can see how all of that would color the way you would read the follow-up caution note by VMCAS. Still don’t see anything wrong with the actual message, but I can understand how people would be miffed at the dig it was meant to be.

That was a messed up thread and I stand by my “long, drawn-out fart sound” comment in response to it.

Definitely not the same dude from VIN financial advice so - that’s good.

Reactions: 5 users
That was a messed up thread and I stand by my “long, drawn-out fart sound” comment in response to it.

Definitely not the same dude from VIN financial advice so - that’s good.
How did I miss this epic thread!?

And totally. Anthony Bartels is def not a douche. He truly works his ass off to help fellow vets and vet students.

I need paper help again. Does anyone have access to this? Interlibrary loan is really slow at the moment.

Iannucci A, Altmanová M, Ciofi C, Ferguson-Smith M, Pereira J, C, Rehák I, Stanyon R, Velenský P, Rovatsos M, Kratochvíl L, Johnson Pokorná M: Isolating Chromosomes of the Komodo Dragon: New Tools for Comparative Mapping and Sequence Assembly. Cytogenet Genome Res 2019;157:123-131. doi: 10.1159/000496171

Thanks!