Random topics on the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hemichordate

Peds
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the best way to study for very random passages/questions that show up on the MCAT (besides having good knowledge of the subject)? By random, I mean the topics that you haven't really seen in any of your prep books.

For those of you who are studying or have taken the MCAT, can you list the random passages that you encountered?

Members don't see this ad.

There isn't a way to study them - that's the point. You're being tested on your ability to deal with new information and successfully apply it to various situations in the form of questions.

I guess you can be like Ken whatever from Jeopardy and learn a whole bunch of random facts, but I would hope that you have better things to do with your time.

Choosing a brutal major which involves taking many biology, chemistry, and physics courses beyond the prerequisites for medical school helps. You've seen more of the possible topics that passages might discuss for each subject before, so less surprises you.

I can say with certainty that being a Biochem major helps a lot with BS... a lot of the passages are either things we talked about in class, or are very closely related to things we did. Hell, there was a DNA repair passage on the real MCAT this morning that I didn't learn anything new from because we went over that exact thing just this last quarter in Biochem.