Rank EVERY program, not just interviewed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothless rufus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused by the NRMP site. Say if you applied to 20 programs and got 10 interviews, would you rank the ones you did not interview at also? Can you match somewhere you did not interview? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a little confused by the NRMP site. Say if you applied to 20 programs and got 10 interviews, would you rank the ones you did not interview at also? Can you match somewhere you did not interview? Thanks!

I have never heard of a program ranking an applicant that they did not interview, so no.

lol, I actually did rank like 3 or 4 programs that I applied to, received an interview at but was not able to attend the interview. Sure, there is almost zero chance that they would rank me considering I did not interview, but it costs absolutely nothing to put them on the rank list. Unless you are ranking enough programs to start incurring additional costs, you should probably put Harvard or UCSF or whatever as your #1 even if you didnt APPLY there. There is absolutely zero downside, its a 100% freeroll.

And you dont have to tell anyone you did it, so you wont even get mocked.

and hope for a computer glitch in the matching process and you are golden with the harvard!

and hope for a computer glitch in the matching process and you are golden with the harvard!

I mean it sounds silly, but basically, yes. Clearly there is a non-zero chance of that happening right? Its all stupid and obviously will never ACTUALLY happen but there is basically no rational counter for "zero cost."

Unless you are ranking enough programs to start incurring additional costs, you should probably put Harvard or UCSF or whatever as your #1 even if you didnt APPLY there. There is absolutely zero downside, its a 100% freeroll.

This reminds me of '04 when I voted for myself for president...and senator....and...state representative... Just in case anyone was confused, I was a "write-in candidate". Lest someone ask why I wasted my vote - let's just say it would have been impossible for whoever won the respective '04 elections to lose them based on the state polling leading up to the election.

lol, I actually did rank like 3 or 4 programs that I applied to, received an interview at but was not able to attend the interview. Sure, there is almost zero chance that they would rank me considering I did not interview, but it costs absolutely nothing to put them on the rank list. Unless you are ranking enough programs to start incurring additional costs, you should probably put Harvard or UCSF or whatever as your #1 even if you didnt APPLY there. There is absolutely zero downside, its a 100% freeroll.

And you dont have to tell anyone you did it, so you wont even get mocked.

it's also a good way of messing with the nrmp/eras way of "profiling"...which is completely useless.