Rank list - how far down do programs go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bugsterizer83

huggle buggie
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any stats that show how far down a program's rank list they typically go to fill their last spot?

Specifically for categorical IM are there any figures on this?

Members don't see this ad.

I looked at the 2016 NRMP match data. The average IM program has to rank 6.3 (forget exact decimal) applicants per spot in order to fill their program. If I'm understanding correctly, if, on average, a program has 30 spots to fill, they will go down to as far down as number 180 to fill everything.

Reactions: 1 users
It would be interesting to see data for each specialty

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It depends upon the program... Mgh or Penn would probably fill at 2.5 x or something like that. Some low tier all IMG programs I know go upto 15x... Some programs that have predominantly IMGs but also some amgs tend to go 10x ...

Reactions: 1 users
Damn! If a programs has 25 spots, they have to interview 180+ applicants in order to avoid participating in the SOAP.
Remember that those numbers are averages, so you actually need to interview significantly more than that. You interview only 170 applicants for your 25 spots? If you're in the half of programs below average, you just SOAPd.

Average program interviews 10:1, so if you have 25 spots you interview on average 250 people.