Rank List Thread 2011 Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paul Simon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's almost that time... let's do this! Top 5 in alphabetical order or actual order, whatever works for you guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Am I being paranoid, or does this not seem like a good idea to others?

Members don't see this ad :)
The IM forum, which my gf pays attention to, has a rank list help thread that's already 14 pages long.

I think this will be fine.

The IM forum, which my gf pays attention to, has a rank list help thread that's already 14 pages long.

I think this will be fine.

Yeah, this is an annual tradition on this forum, and I've never heard of it causing any problems.

Last edited:
It's almost that time... let's do this! Top 5 in alphabetical order or actual order, whatever works for you guys.

Sorry, but just to clarify... Is this thread just to tell others how you plan to rank programs... Or, as in the IM forum, are we allowed to mention programs and get resident/fellow input on what they think?

Sorry, but just to clarify... Is this thread just to tell others how you plan to rank programs... Or, as in the IM forum, are we allowed to mention programs and get resident/fellow input on what they think?

In the past the thread has just been people listing what their top five choices are - most people do not list them in actual rank order but instead some sort of random way (alphabetical, east to west, west to east, # of letters in state or program name, whatever).

In the past the thread has just been people listing what their top five choices are - most people do not list them in actual rank order but instead some sort of random way (alphabetical, east to west, west to east, # of letters in state or program name, whatever).

In that case, I guess I'll start it off (alphabetically):

New Mexico
Phoenix Children's
UC Davis
UC Irvine / CHOC
UCLA

Good luck everyone!

Alphabetically:

BCRP
Stanford
UCSF
U Colorado
U Washington

Children's Hospital of Wisconsin
Cleveland Clinic
Mayo Clinic
Nationwide
Hope Children's Hospital

Alphabetical:

Children's Mercy (UMKC)
Children's National Categorical
Children's National Community Health
Northwestern
Pittsburgh Children's

Children's DC
CHLA
CHOP
Duke
Northwestern

Gotta love +1,000 views on this thread, with only 5 people posting their lists.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alphabetical:

Baystate
Brown
Maine Medical
UConn
UMass

Ranked by distance, closest to farthest, from my current address

UCI/CHOC
UC Davis
UCSD
OHSU
Oakland Children's
UCSF
Stanford

Lots of folks don't post until the ROL is certified.....Wait until Feb. 23rd. After that, it's hard for even the most cautious/paranoid to keep their alphabetized list secret.

Honestly, after the names put up here, I'm embarrassed to put up my list.

Alphabetical:

Baylor
BCRP
Cinci
CMC Dallas
Denver
WashU St. Louis

38 Days!!!!!!!!

George Washington (CNMC)
Johns Hopkins
Northwestern
Stanford
UWash

lol, okay that was painful... but I got it to 5. actual ROL submission is going to be super stressful if I can't even do a list here without anxiety.

Last edited:
Honestly, after the names put up here, I'm embarrassed to put up my list.

Don't be. What only matters is what you think of your list, not others. My list doesn't compare in prestige to many of the others in this thread, but I'm not embarrassed because it's the right list for me, since the most important things to me are location/smaller program size/strong primary care training.

Alphabetical:

CHOP
Cincinnati
Hopkins
Pittsburgh
Seattle
UCSF

:luck: good luck, all!

Don't be. What only matters is what you think of your list, not others. My list doesn't compare in prestige to many of the others in this thread, but I'm not embarrassed because it's the right list for me, since the most important things to me are location/smaller program size/strong primary care training.

Couldn't agree more!

I'm a triple board/peds applicant, but I will play too

Alphabetical list:

Brown
Cincinnati
Indiana
Tulane
Utah

Alphabetical...

CHKD- Norfolk
Hershey
Jersey Shore
Newark Beth Israel
Toledo

My top five - from smallest class size to largest (might as well have some fun with it, right?).

Dartmouth
Vermont
Brown
Yale
CHKD

How I'll rank my top 5:

Hopkins
Northwestern
Brown
Duke
CNMC Categorical

Based on how many U.S. presidents each state claims:

UT-Southwestern
Tennessee
UAMS
Emory
UAB

(Before anyone starts to argue with the order, TN claims Jackson, Polk, and Johnson; TX claims Eisenhower, Johnson, Bush #1, and Bush #2. Arkansas and Georgia each have one, but Clinton served one more term than Carter.)

Good luck to everyone.

Listed from earliest to latest date of interview:

Nationwide/OSU
UT-Southwestern
Children's National
Vanderbilt
OHSU

Good luck, everyone!

UF-Gville
GW/CNMC
Columbia/NYP-CHONY
Yale
Brown

Hope everyone matches where they want to!!
Seems like CNMC is pretty popular...What do you think about their recent update email?

Roughly...

Seattle
Pitt
Nationwide
CHOP
CNMC
Baylor

I always read these posts but never contribute.

Everyone, best of luck in the match! We will all be great docs regardless of where we end up!

Speaking of rank lists, has anyone heard from any programs about being "ranked to match"? I've heard from a couple programs, but wasnt sure about how many actually send out such correspondence.

Still struggling with how to rank these myself. I want to balance location, name, and malignancy: any opinions??

CHKD
CNMC
Rainbow
Rush
St. Christopher's

Speaking of rank lists, has anyone heard from any programs about being "ranked to match"? I've heard from a couple programs, but wasnt sure about how many actually send out such correspondence.

I have heard to this effect from Children's Hosp of Wisconsin, U of C, Mayo, and Nationwide

Still struggling with how to rank these myself. I want to balance location, name, and malignancy: any opinions??

CHKD
CNMC
Rainbow
Rush
St. Christopher's

I'm not sure why people take Rush so seriously quite honestly, it's not a great program. I would rank CNMC and Rainbow over Rush by far. I don't know much about the other too. DC seems like a better place than Cleveland and Cleveland Clinic has really been muscling Rainbow a little. I'd go CNMC, Rainbow, and then the other 3

In alphabetical (yeah that's it) order:

Baylor Categorical
Baylor Global Health
Cinci
Denver
WashU
Vandy
:cool::D:luck:

Thoughts?

Good luck all! In just over 24 hours it'll be all out of our hands and there will be nothing more to do but wait (thank God!)

Hope everyone has a happy St. Patrick's Day! (or match day, if you will)

I have heard to this effect from Children's Hosp of Wisconsin, U of C, Mayo, and Nationwide

I have heard (through the grapevine mostly), that Baylor, BCRP, Cincinnati, and Vanderbilt have all sent out such letters.

Outa curiosity, when you say U of C, what does the C stand for? Chicago and cincinnati both referred to themselves that way...

My list as of now alphabetically:

Denver
Northwestern
OHSU
Pittsburgh
San Diego
Seattle

Struggling with where to place UCSD...any suggestions? Thanks!

I have heard (through the grapevine mostly), that Baylor, BCRP, Cincinnati, and Vanderbilt have all sent out such letters.

Outa curiosity, when you say U of C, what does the C stand for? Chicago and cincinnati both referred to themselves that way...

Chicago

I've gotten a phone call and two on stationery. While they were handwritten, they both seemed mass produced with my name inserted, and the call gave the feel of a telemarketer going down a list of names.

I have heard (through the grapevine as well) that UWisconsin does this as well. BCRP is upsetting to me from both a personal and ethical standpoint. :(

BCRP was just one of the many programs that explicitly stated they were not sending any correspondence or placing any phone calls to applicants after the interview day.

And personally, they are within my top 5 or so and well I did not get a letter. (haha) :p Oh well ...

uci/choc
ucsf-fresno
kaiser la
unm
usc

Top 5 from smallest to largest city (based on population of the city proper, not the metro area):

Pittsburgh
Wash U
Children's National
CHOP
Baylor

I have heard (through the grapevine as well) that UWisconsin does this as well. BCRP is upsetting to me from both a personal and ethical standpoint. :(

Ah i see. If it's any consolation, I interviewed there and did NOT get a letter. I was just passing on what a classmate told me. He's kinda sketchy. I trust him 70%... which means, the BCRP thing isn't a definate.

Since it's after the ROL submission time, I will say the only program i can speak for 100% is Baylor, b/c that's who I heard from. Everything else, just consider rumors.

ROL, Top 5, Alphabetically

Rainbow
Nationwide
Mayo
U of Chicago
UTSW-Dallas

GOOD LUCK ON MATCH,

Top 5 from smallest to largest city (based on population of the city proper, not the metro area):

Pittsburgh

Really interesting to see how different people's interests/perspectives are - I only applied to one program in a city bigger than Pittsburgh, and I ended up ranking it last because it was too big for me!

Really interesting to see how different people's interests/perspectives are - I only applied to one program in a city bigger than Pittsburgh, and I ended up ranking it last because it was too big for me!

There are some smaller than the smallest and some bigger than the biggest in the top 5 that are on my list too :)