Rank List Thread 2011 Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pittsburgh's metro population is not really representative as its the smallest metro area by square miles by quite a bit of any major city. Where as all other big cities expanded their cities limits ,Pittsburgh stayed the same for a long time. For example Phoenix's area expanded 27 x since 1950 and Pittsburgh has not expanded the city limits since 1907 (Horse and buggy days before suburbs and urban sprawl). Thus it appears smaller on census data than smaller cities such as nashville, louisville, columbus, etc that are obviously smaller if you visit.

If you expanded the area around Pittsburgh to the square mileage of the other biggest cities in the country its population bumps up greatly and it goes into the top 20 largest cities in population.

So thus Pittsburgh will feel like a much bigger city than the population statistics say.

I just looked it up as I didn't remember but pittsburgh proper is 56 square miles whereas the average us city is now 340.

Members don't see this ad.

Pittsburgh's metro population is not really representative as its the smallest metro area by square miles by quite a bit of any major city. Where as all other big cities expanded their cities limits ,Pittsburgh stayed the same for a long time. For example Phoenix's area expanded 27 x since 1950 and Pittsburgh has not expanded the city limits since 1907 (Horse and buggy days before suburbs and urban sprawl). Thus it appears smaller on census data than smaller cities such as nashville, louisville, columbus, etc that are obviously smaller if you visit.

If you expanded the area around Pittsburgh to the square mileage of the other biggest cities in the country its population bumps up greatly and it goes into the top 20 largest cities in population.

So thus Pittsburgh will feel like a much bigger city than the population statistics say.

I just looked it up as I didn't remember but pittsburgh proper is 56 square miles whereas the average us city is now 340.

yeah... even if I had done it by "metro area," pittsburgh still would have been the smallest on that list of 5.

Members don't see this ad :)
CHLA
Oakland
Seattle
UCI/CHOC
UCSD

Only 3 weeks until Match!!!

yeah... even if I had done it by "metro area," pittsburgh still would have been the smallest on that list of 5.

yeah well the person said that they considered it a big city so I was just answering that it kind of was a big city so I guess it is understandable to feel that way. Plus when you interview at a place I think that some cities feel bigger because of population density, traffic, etc so it is understandable that it would feel big.

A to Z:

CHKD/EVMS
HOPKINS
MUSC
RAINBOW BABIES/CASE WESTERN
UNC

Partially due to couples match compromises....

Rainbow
Cle Clinic
CHOW
Nationwide
U Wisc

Alphabetical:

CHO
UC Davis
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF

Felt really good about my list for a while, but now I'm a complete wreck. :scared: Program-wise, I'm sure I'd be really happy at #1-7 on my list. But location-wise, I stand to be pretty far away from the S.O., family, and friends. I thought I was prepared for that, but now that the list is permanent, I realized how terrified I am of that outcome. I just hope it's all worth it.

Last edited:
My rank, I am couples' matching with a different specialty. Not even one in the same state...WE CRAZY!!! :laugh:

Phoenix Children's
Nationwide
UAMS
UNC
UTSW
UAB

In order from North to South....Luck everyone!

CHOP
CNMC
UNC
Emory

In alphabetical-ish order:

BCRP
Columbia
Colorado
UCSF
Seattle

Good luck everyone!:luck: