Rank Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2ndyear

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are we on here going to share our rank lists? Looks like other people on the forums are. I just don't want to be the first to post it if it's somehow taboo in this thread.

Members don't see this ad.

i'll post mine...but like 2nd year, i'll do it if it's not taboo! a lot of applicants posted theirs at this time last year. why don't we all do the same?

Ok, I'm doing this for advise. Feel free to comment!! Especially on my chances knowing that I have sub avg. Step I scores, no Step 2, but above avg-great recs. US senior at mid-tier school.

1. Tufts NEMC- I felt really comfortable here. Really liked the program, caseload and PD. Residents were happy and I would be too.

2. UIllinois-Chicago - Again, great cases, humane hours, awesome didactics and people were happy.

3. Michigan - Hey, it's Michigan.

4. Loyola 4 year - Kinda turned off by the heavy call schedule, but a strong program.

5. Loyola 3 year

6. Penn State- only downside is Hershey

7. Pitt - great program

8. U Rochester 4 year

9. U Rochester 3 year

10. Med Coll Wisconsin 4year- I really did like this place. Milwaukee isn't that bad of a city. Very strong program. May move up on the list.

11. Med Coll Wisconsin 3 year

12. UConn- Very nice program, awesome cases.

13. Maine Med 4 year- Portland is awesome!

14. Maine Med 3 year- a long shot for that one spot I guess.

15. Albany - Looking at my list, it's the only 'safety' program I have ranked.

Unranked as of yet but interviewed at:

Baystate - I would consider going there, but I'm not sure I would jump for joy if I opened my envelope and it said Baystate.

UMass - A good program, but again not exciting

Syracuse - ? Turned off by the lack of peds and OB

Wayne/DMC - Detroit, 'nuff said

Henry Ford - same

PLEASE feel free to comment on my list. I think it may have too many 'longshot' programs and not enough safeties. Would it be better to take chances in the scramble than rank programs I'm not too excited about?

Members don't see this ad :)
I unfortunately don't know too much about those programs, but if you think you could stand to live in the area and go to a program for three to four years then rank it. Anesthesia is getting more competitive and scrambling may not leave you with many choices. Of course if you hated the program then don't rank it.

Okay I'll try to get this party under way. Here's my list:

1. Brigham: The people there seemed friendly and fun to work with and obviously has the name.

2. MGH: Would have been no. 1 if it wasn't for the air of arrogance among the faculty and the hospital in general.

3. Wash U.: Was very surprised after interviewing there. It seems to have a great caseload and has a great chair.

4. Northwestern: Beautiful facilities and great local rep.

5. Cleveland Clinic: Obvious great name in the private world. Seems to be quite heavy on the work hours.

6. Medical College of Wisconsin: Was dissappointed with the program, was hoping for better. But still great name in the academic community.

7. Iowa: Okay program.

If anybody has any comments on the above programs would love to hear them.

Otherwise, would like to hear other rank lists, if people are interested.

Good luck all.

ether, that's a great rank list! I wish I was offered interviews at your top choices. I'm sure you won't go farther down than The General on your list. I felt similar about MCW, but I actually didn't know that it was that well respected as a semi-powerhouse in the academic reputation sense. They didn't have any glaring problems, just not that exciting. Nevertheless I would be happy there. I'd be interested to know which programs you interviewed at but didn't rank.

1. UCSF
2. MGH
3. JHU
4. Brigham
5. PENN
6. Stanford
7. Duke
8. Columbia
9. Cornell
10. UCLA
11. U. Wash
12. Michigan
13. Mayo
14. Wash U.
15. BID
16. Northwesten
17. Yale
18. U. Chicago
19. Mt Sinai
20. NYU

It's going to cost me a lot of money, but at least I'll be able to sleep very well until match day and I'll never have any regret about not trying hard enough to get into the best program possible :)

Good Luck to everyone!

wow, you interviewed at 20 programs? How did you find the time?

Great thread. Ill post my meger ROL once I figure it out.

Stanford
UCSF
Brigham
UCLA
U Wash
Beth Israel
U Irvine

Flipping almost daily between SF and Stanford though.

huktonfonix,

What was your impression of UCI? I thought they had a nice location but possibly a bit harder working than other places.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually they don't work as hard as some of the bigger name programs maybe 60ish hours a week on average. They were a very friendly program, but the training and didactics are stronger at the other programs I saw. The hospital at Irvine while nice by county standards is still fairly small and run down compared to other places. I also have more firends in Northern Cal which is why I'm ranking the SF programs 1 and 2. Irvine is still worth ranking though. UCLA impressed me much more than Irvine and has a good location too.

I am debating between SUNY- Stonybrook and Boston Univ. for my #2 and #3. I think it will be:

2.Suny-Stonybrook
3.Boston Univ.

I hope this is enough interviews :confused:

Any input appreciated!

Good Luck to Doc Strange and the rest of the gang.

I may still flip some of these around (especially 3-5) but as of right now here it is.

1. MUSC
2. WAKE FOREST (C)
3. MCG
4. WAKE FOREST (A)
5. UAB
6. UVA (C)
7. U FLORIDA (C)
8. MCV/VCU
9. UVA (A)
10. U FLORIDA (A)
11. U KENTUCKY (C)
12. U KENTUCKY (A)
13. MAYO JACKSONVILLE

thegasman,

What were your impressions of Mayo Jax? Seems to be a small program, q4 call for entire 4 years? Also, what were your thoughts on MUSC? I hadn't heard much on it, then it seems to have become quite popular in the last week amongst some friends?

gator 05 I pm'ed you

mayo jax new program, I don't think call will be very bad, not too busy at night and many CRNA's. I think they are still figuring this out though. Probably not q4

MUSC nice program for private practice hopefuls. On the way up and in Charleston.

thegasman,

you mentioned a while back that MUSC has been cutting off around 220-225 for step I. Is there anything else that you can think of that they like to see?

Obviously you like it there.

Thanks for any advice.

hawkslo,

yeah I just saw you pm'ed me like 3 months ago. My bad, I never checked it. I'll send you one back.

Wow.. what a competitive group!

Here is my ROL, minus the top 3 slots. I'm really having a tough time deciding whether or not to put BWH in the #1 spot. I want to live in NYC, but BWH is a very nice program.

1/2/3 - Mt. Sinai, Cornell, BWH (unclear order)
4. BID
5. Columbia
6. Boston U
7. NEMC
8. NYU
9. SLR
10. St. V's

Here's what we got:
1) BID
2) JH
3) Columbia
4) NYU
5) U. Wash
6) UCSD
7+) UCLA, OHSU, UCD

Here's what I got. Also having a tough time with the top 3 -

1/2/3 - Northwestern, U of Chicago, Loyola
4. UIC
5. Rush

Im still soul searching but here is mine so far.

1-3 (change qd ill post once figured out)
4 SLU (4)
5 SLU (3)
6 U. Cinncinnati
7 Wash U (may be one of the best programs on my list besides perhaps my #1 but im going with my gut here)
8 St. Lukes- Roos
9 NJ- Robert Wood
10 Westchester

Edit : King/drew off for now

Very subject to change before its certified but ill let ya know. Good luck guys.

No clue what to do. Any advice? i.e. whats more important?

1. strength of program
2. gut feeling
3. location
4. opportunities to meet women
5. family
6. proximity to climbing/skiing

Originally posted by supahfresh
No clue what to do. Any advice? i.e. whats more important?

1. strength of program
2. gut feeling
3. location
4. opportunities to meet women
5. family
6. proximity to climbing/skiing

MY TAKE:

Go with your GUT. The gut has its own algorithim that accounts for and ranks 1-6 on your list. It then relays that information to your brain and its manifested as that 'nagging feeling". I find it hard to ignore.
+pissed+

Lots of gut feelings and second looks lead me to this ROL.

1. U Iowa (Iowa city is painful, program is rock solid, good people)
2. UIC (best people, good program, lacking in some aspects)
3. Northwestern (feel the pain, stuffy peeps=poopy morale, but hey its chicago)
4. Rush (ballbusting solid clinical program, morale takes a hit)
5. WashU (st.louis? at least they gots the budweiser factory)
6. JHU (name = job, baltimore = worse than st.louis)
7. Virginia Mason, would have been first but too far from home. Loved it.
8. Loyola (good peeps, overworked with lil' compensation= lower on ROL)
9. Cleveland Clinic (cold sterile feeling place, tons o' residents, but solid program)
10. SLU (liked the peeps, work hard + lack in name = lower on ROL)
11. U Cinn (program in change for better, great peds)
12. UNMexico (I wanna be an anesthesiologist, outdoors stuff)

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH ITS ALL DONE! See ya March 18th!

What if your gut says not to rank anything at all and travel for a year?

if I had to do it right now....

1. JH
2. U chicago
3. Yale
4. NYU
5. NW

Originally posted by UTSouthwestern
Wish more of you guys were headin this way.

i am trying but i didnt get the impression i would be high on UTSW's list.

1-3: Miami, Yale, Boston U (in no particular order)
4: Jefferson
5. U.conn
6. Einstein
7. NYMC
8. Case Western
9 Rochester

Hoping to stay in Boston

BID:thumbup: Best program in Boston (it's all about balance)
MGH Best program in the world ;)
St. E's
BWH
Yale
Cornell
Sinai
Columbia:smuggrin: -Schecter
JHU
BU:scared:

Only top two for sure. Good luck to everyone!

1. Penn
2. Cornell
3. Columbia
4. Sinai
5. BID
6. UCLA

(still deciding on a few after #6)

I'm looking at...

1. Stanford
2. UCLA
3. UCSD
4. UCSF (a little turned off during the interview day)
5. UC Davis (liked the program a lot, but it's in Sacramento for crying out loud)
6. UC Irvine (better locale than Davis... but I got a weird vibe from them)
7. U of C(hicago)
8. Virginia Mason
9. U Washington
10. Northwestern
11. UIC

I think I'd be perfectly happy at any of my top 3. And yes, I'm trying extra hard to go to California. *crosses fingers* Here's hoping I didn't jinx myself... =p

This is what I have so far. Im not sure about 5,6,and 7. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

1) UT Southwestern
2) UTMB
3) U of R
4) SUNY Stony Brook
5) SUNY Buffalo
6) SLU
7) University of Arkansas
8) SUNY Upstate
9) Temple
10) University of Mississippi

1.BWH
2.Hopkins
3.Penn
4.BID
5.Yale
6.Columbia
7.Cornell
8.UTSW
9.Mayo

Yale over Columbia and Cornell?? :scared:

Yale over Columbia and Cornell?? :scared:

Help please:
Any thoughts BU vs. Tufts
NYU vs. Mt Sinai

1. BWH
2. UCSF
3. UPenn
4. Columbia
5. JHU
6. BID
7. Northwestern
8. University of Chicago
9. Stanford
10. Wash U
11. University of Michigan
12. Yale
13. Medical College of WI
14. Rush

First off, let me say hello to all my classmates from Arizona College of osteopathic med, I'll see you in June. It was beautiful in Sunny So. Cal today. Took the wife and 2 little babies for a drive up PCH to Malibu.

I put this list together after 2 glasses of Ravenswood 2001 Cabernet Sauvignon.

1. Harbor-UCLA: This pick was for the wife and 2 little ones, gotta try to stay in So. Cal for them. Some of the programs on my list are much,much better than this one.
2. UT Southwestern: I love the lonestar state. The Texas attitude rubbed off on me when I was stationed there in the Air Force.
3. Temple University: Brrrrr. From here on its cold outside. Say goodbye to the west for 3 years. I love Philly. Drexel would've been #3, but they dropped out of the match.
4. University of Pittsburgh: Hands down the best program I interviewed at. Great city, people are nice/friendly. Drawback is isolation of Western Pennsylvania. Philadelphia is a better choice.....central location( 2hrs to NYC, 2hrs to DC).
5. Yale.....Why is this #5? I don't know. Maybe its just the damn name. They work too hard at this place, so I guess I'll be a good anesthesiologist. 2hrs from Boston, 2hrs to NYC. Good enough.
6. Stony Brook: I like the location....away from the hustle and bustle of NYC(which would be a tough place to bring my family). Residents seem like a happy bunch. Chairman is nice.
7. Baystate: picks 7-10 will probably change before 2/25/04. I liked baystate for it's location: New England atmosphere, close to hartford, away from Boston. Program director is a straight shooter.
8. Case Western Reserve-Universities Hosp: Very nice facilities, faculty were great, residents were very happy and like to party. But my god, Cleveland!!!!
9. Jackson-Memorial Miami: Aahh...some warmth... I got off the plane in Dec and it was 70 degrees outside. This program is too big. Chairman could've been a used car salesman with the spiel he gave our interview group. Definitely a lot of good looking people training in this hospital.
10. Tufts-NEMC Boston: These poor guys suffer from an inferiority complex due to the proximity of MGH and BW. I don't like Boston, too expensive. This pick is here because I want to become anesthesiologist.

Well thats it. I recieved 20 interview offers, went to 11. I envy the individuals with the staminia to do 15, but no thanks.

Good luck to all

here is my tentative ROL
what do you guys think?

1.NYU -decent program, manhattan
2. UIC-chicago
3. wash u- good program bad location
4.MCW- good program, not ideal location
5. SLR- manhattan
6. suny-downstate-near manhattan
7. loyola-residents work too hard, near chicago
8. suny-SB- 1.5 hours from manhattan, decent program
9. U of K- decent program, bad location
10. illinois masonic- not a strong name, but good location (near the cubs)
11. Henry Ford, decent program but awful location

i'm not ranking maimonides, offerred but didn't go to MCO, U of Arkansas, LSU
any suggestions?

Rockstar...

I sent you a PM. thanks

Anyone here ranking UF at all? Curious as to the why/why nots.

Besides location, what are people's thoughts on Emory vs. Cornell?

:cool:

I ranked UF, I think #7 of 13. Seemed like a great program academically and historically, but it seemed like the residents were working a little too hard for me. I was told 70-75 hr per week where most other programs were 55 or so. Work is fun and all but I have a family and other interests too. Mahla the pd said they were going to hire some crnas to help out since the program is currently exclusively resident run and you might get stuck doing a lot of educationally pointless cases. I guess I might feel better if I saw this happen. Gainesville is small and farther from family than I would like. I think I would be pretty happy here, I just saw some places I liked better.

really struggled with this... and it may change in the next 48hrs

BWH
MGH (loved both BWH and MGH ... different pros and cons for each)
UVA or OHSU?
Rochester
UCSF
JH or Stanford ?
Michigan
Wake
BID
Cornell