Rank lists...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBuzzLightYear

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, I know this has been debated ad nauseum in year's past, but my subconscious is still chewing on this one, and I'd love to hear people's thoughts...

Should you always rank your dream program number one (even if you don't think you have much of a chance), or should you rank the best program where you think you have a shot of getting in. In other words, does the match hurt you for dreaming big? Is your number 1 pick wasted on a pipe dream program?

Members don't see this ad.

Rank your first choice first. This is what I have been told numerous times. You never know. You could match there, but you will not know unless you rank them. Atleast that is what I plan on doing.

Flea girl said:
Rank your first choice first. This is what I have been told numerous times. You never know. You could match there, but you will not know unless you rank them. Atleast that is what I plan on doing.
but if you dont match at number 1, have you undermined your chances of getting into the more realistic number 2?

Members don't see this ad :)
You should list programs in order of true preference. If you look through the algorithm, you see that the advantage is with the student, and you will not hurt yourself by listing a dream school first. If you cannot match at hospital choise number 1 because you were not ranked or not ranked high enough, the algorithm will simply put you at the next hospital on your list. If hospital choice 2 is already "filled", you simply bump someone who is ranked lower than you, or you go onto hospital number 3 if no one is lower than you. Check out http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/about_res/algorithms.html to see an example of how the match works.

Hope this helps. If you want to know what a real geek I am, I once read a math paper about the match algorithm. It is an old math problem, originally written about men proposing to women & trying to find the best wife.

kittycat_642 said:
If you want to know what a real geek I am, I once read a math paper about the match algorithm.
you are awesome!

kittycat_642 said:
You should list programs in order of true preference. If you look through the algorithm, you see that the advantage is with the student, and you will not hurt yourself by listing a dream school first. If you cannot match at hospital choise number 1 because you were not ranked or not ranked high enough, the algorithm will simply put you at the next hospital on your list. If hospital choice 2 is already "filled", you simply bump someone who is ranked lower than you, or you go onto hospital number 3 if no one is lower than you. Check out http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/about_res/algorithms.html to see an example of how the match works.

Hope this helps. If you want to know what a real geek I am, I once read a math paper about the match algorithm. It is an old math problem, originally written about men proposing to women & trying to find the best wife.

i agree with mrbuzzlightyear -- the link is fabulous - -thanks! i'd also love to see that article on men proposing to women.. :)

take care!