Rank Order List [2012-2013]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Akail

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd make a thread for any relevant discussion.

I sortof made a running ROL after each interview so I should be certifying in a couple weeks or so. Pretty happy to have the entire interview process behind me and realistically, if in the worst case scenario I had to match at my last ranked spot, I'd still be pretty happy with the training (maybe not so much with the location...).

Good luck everyone! :zip:

Members don't see this ad.

1) Indiana -, Good MIx of academics and county with wishard and methodist lots of ICU and worthwhile off service rotations.Indianapolis is actually pretty cool. Awesome EMS program - midwest kind of sucks, cold, International opportunities are lacking/you have to pay for them out of pocket, and when asked the PDs didnt seem to gungho about them
2) Vandy-residents were cool, excellent teaching
-almost all of it is at one hospital and Vandy seems to be consult city.
3) UTSW-parkland is the epitome of county with tons of underserved patients and pathology. New Zealand!
4) Maricopa-very similar to UTSW. Residents love to party! Definitely a boys club
-Damn hot and very ****ty facilities
5)ORMC-Orlando is awesome. Residents also seem to enjoy partying. Great community experience. -most of the residents seem to stay in Florida.
6) UCDavis-Sacramento isnt as bad as people make it out to be, its no san fran but I like it.
7)Palmetto-everyone is super chill. Get to go to Hawaii for a month
8)Vegas- Vegas is awesome
9)UT houston-
10) Arizona-tucson is kind of blah, but solid program. Dont really understand why Rosen hangs out at the interviews, because he doesnt really seem to be part of the program apart from doing winters there.
11) Duke
12) UNC
13)Florida-super fun group, but too small. Hot Undergrads
14)New mexico-it seems like they hardly work during there ED months..something like 18-8s first year and then down from there
15) Christiana-Deleware is not for me

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be ranking 8 or 9 total. Curious to see if anyone else stayed in single digits.

Will have to come back and post details after my last couple of interviews next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be posting mine in a week or so

230+/240+, Top 25 US MD

1)Cook County--Love the diversity of patient population and pathology. Don't mind "scut." Chicago!
2)Vandy--Rotated here. Awesome faculty and residents.
3)UMD
4)VCU--Extremely surprised by this program. Not sure if it was the bus tour around the city or what, but it just gave me a much better "gut feel" than other programs.
5)Maimonides--Not thrilled about living in NYC, but had a great conversation with the PD and wouldn't mind working with him.
6)Temple
7)Drexel
8)JHU
9)MetroHealth--Probably on the level of Cook in terms of clinical training...just would rather not live in Cleveland unless I had to.
10)IU--Not really sure what other people were seeing about this program. Weirdest interview day and it wasn't even close. Just didn't click with the faculty. Residents badmouthed one of the other programs I interviewed at.
11)UF-Jax--Horrendous intern year. Really liked the program and wanted to rank it top 3 after I interviewed but just didn't like the structure of the first year. Tossup between here and Metro for what I perceived to be strongest graduates.
12)OSU--Great program structure/curriculum, great opportunities with fellowships...by far the worst interviews I had. Came in feeling optimistic, left very underwhelmed.
13)York

Last edited:
East coast med school but from west coast originally. Good grades/board scores. Average extracurriculars. List is preliminary for now. 14 total interviews.

1-2: U wash, Harbor
3-4: USC, UCSD
5: Highland
6-7: UCSF, Stanford
8: UCD
9: UCI
10-11: Fresno, U of AZ main campus

Mid-tier school in Midwest but from California originally. Looking to go back to the left coast. Step 1 & 2 +260/+270. Prior EMS experience. Slight preference for county programs but like academic programs too. More detailed reviews to come after ROL submitted.

1. LAC-USC
2. Harbor-UCLA
3. Denver
4. UCLA-Olive View
5. Highland
6. UCSF-San Francisco
7. Northwestern
8. Cook County
9. Stanford
10. MGH-BWH
11. BIDMC
12. Christ
13. UIC
14. OHSU

East Coast top med school, significant EM/trauma research. Good extracurriculars. 16 total interviews. My wants are a little different than other applicants. I'm all for the county trauma/critical care experience with some epi research and lots of grittiness thrown in.

1) Henry Ford- Saw more traumas and critically sick patients there during a day there than at a normal month at my home institution, nuff said. Manny, Thumper, helicopters, BFFs with NYC, EM takes all procedures, cool residents, tons of perks. I'm sold. Only negative is the D honestly, but I'm ready for a big house, a dog, and the tigers after east coasting it for so long. Cat 1 is the birthplace of EGDT and I love the bell when a case comes in, that alone made me rank it 1!
2) LSU New Orleans- Awesome city, Awesome residents, awesome faculty, only Level 1 in Southern Louisiana. On my interview they dropped the fact that they average around 1 GSW activation per day at LSU. You train the Navy SEALs in trauma resus. Was the happiest interview I've had.
3) Hennepin- Happy People, happy city, county, placement second to none. Happy midwest patients, amazing public works support for patients social and medical needs. Surgically minded curriculum. Negative- It's crazy cold, no critical care fellowship.
4) Sinai- Elmhurst, Elmhurst, Elmhurst. Amazing research staff, sorta a combo of all strengths of the NYC programs. They have Weingart, Newman, the best hits from SLR, Jagoda, and a ton of top notch academic EM docs. Negative- NYC in no bueno.
5) Wash U- I really respected the PD. Critical care fellowship. St. Louis is number 2 in trauma per capita, only to Detroit. Well set up trauma bay that is expandable.
6) UPenn- they have this nice "Penn shock trauma" thing in development. Very academic, very nice facilities. CHOP. Philly is the one of the most livable cities on the East Coast.
7) Michigan- Gunning to be one of the top names in EM critical care. Helicopters galore. Smart residents. Negative- A little too academic for my taste, saturdays + collegetown=disaster in EM.
8) Maricopa- Awesome county set-up. PD has a very academic/county set up and trained at Wash U. Great weather.
9) NYP- Might become one of the only Level 1 trauma centers in manhattan since ACS is changing NYC guidelines???? maybe???
10) DMC- Detroit medical craziness. It's a warzone, if that's your thing.
11) GWU- I don't think it's smart to insult applicants. Worst interview ever.

Last edited:
DO Applicant

Applied 45, got 25 interviews went on 13:

1.) Maricopa
2.) UA
3.) UTSW
4.) JPS
5.) UF-Jax
6.) Cook County
7.) VCU
8.) MCW
9.) IU
10.) Palmetto
11.) NY Methodist
12.) Allegheny

Did not rank: SLU--PD was more interested in where I was applying and what I was ranking (isn't that a NRMP violation?) than me as a potential resident. Inferred I'd be ranked lower due to being a DO. Really regret cancelling other programs to interview here...

Did not rank: SLU--PD was more interested in where I was applying and what I was ranking (isn't that a NRMP violation?) than me as a potential resident. Inferred I'd be ranked lower due to being a DO. Really regret cancelling other programs to interview here...

- Same thing when I interviewed there. Hmm..

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone's welcome to PM me if they'd like to share their rank list anonymously. Thanks so far to everyone who's contributed!

Mind sharing any thoughts about UA in Tucson as to why it's so low for a bunch of ya?

Anonymous Submission:

-DO Student: 670/630 comlex 1/2, 255 usmle 2, 2nd in class, SSP, EMS
-Applied 44, Offered 19, Interviewed 13
-Regional focus: North East, desire to be close to family, Married with plans for a little one!
-#1 is for sure, 2-6 interchangible, 7-below set

1. University of Rochester
2. UMass
3. MetroHealth
4. Case Western UH
5. Baystate
6. Wake Forest
7. UConn
8. Penn State
9. University at Buffalo
10. Geisinger
11. Summa Akron City
12. Wright State
13. Dartmouth

I saw that Allegheny was last on a list. I heard along the trail that the health system is financially strapped and may be cutting programs, including the EM program. I heard that the speaker to the applicants over breakfast spoke mostly to the financial status of the hospital system. I didn't get this feel when I interviewed in late November. Without taking over this thread, any thoughts on this?

Deleted per request of poster.

Last edited:
I saw that Allegheny was last on a list. I heard along the trail that the health system is financially strapped and may be cutting programs, including the EM program. I heard that the speaker to the applicants over breakfast spoke mostly to the financial status of the hospital system. I didn't get this feel when I interviewed in late November. Without taking over this thread, any thoughts on this?

I heard that too. AGH did go bankrupt in the late 1990s, and the EM residency survived just fine. So, I don't think they are going to cut the EM program just because they lost $60 million to Highmark last year. However, their stipends/benefits aren't great because the hospital doesn't have tons of money. It may also limit some electives (for example, they don't have an elective in Hawaii with free apartment and car like UPMC). AGH is still a good program. In fact, it's one of the oldest EM residencies in the country. So, I don't think it's going to go away any time soon.

Last edited:

I have a friend at Allegheny finishing up his intern year in a surgical field...I've been texting him about it was told that the issues were around even when he was in the match process. He says he feels very well supported on the resident end and isn't worried about having his education interrupted. n=1, I know, but just figured I'd share.

Rank List:

Below are my top 5 in order and 5 more that I will be ranking in alphabetical order. I don't feel good publicly listing my order of my bottom 5 because they are all great programs. Yes, one is my least favorite, but it's still a great program and I'd be happy there. There are actually 3 more that will make my list, but I really didn't like them and don't feel comfortable publicly bashing them. My number 1 and number 2 may switch depending on my wife's preference. Honestly, any of my top 5 and I'd be amazingly thrilled.

About me:
low ranked state school, AOA, ~250/~270, lots of research (none in EM), no externships

1. UAB – Wow. This program was amazing. There PD was a man who I immediately trusted. He was the kind of guy I want to have as my boss. They have a clear process of resident development and graduated responsibility, both in the ED and in their moonlighting opportunities. I felt like this was the type of place where you would learn more about medicine every day, but you would also grow as a doctor (that is to say, it's not a program where you are doing the same role as a pgy-1 and pgy-3 except you just have more experience as a pgy-3). They are big on resident satisfaction. Schedule's worked so you have every other weekend off. Lighter hours intentionally – they want you to have time to moonlight, research or explore other areas of interest (the PD made it very clear that this wasn't so you could be lazy, but that you would find your niche and work in that). Very family oriented. There facilities were amazing. UAB is an institution for both medicine and surgery. Benefits aren't great, but moonlighting opportunities are killer and the COL is very low. The curriculum is very ED-heavy which I see as a plus. Very high on resident autonomy. My advisor told me that he knows a few of the attendings that they have hired over the past couple years and really seems to think this program will be an elite program in the very near future. Good job opportunities for my wife. Very sick patient population. My only reservation is that I didn't really spend any time in Birmingham. I basically flew into it for the interview and out the next day. I'm from the south though and I've heard some really great things about Birmingham. Supposedly there's a lot of stuff to do for a city of its size. Even with this as an unknown, I loved the program that much. One minor concern was trauma, but I think it's a non-issue. Birmingham has a ton of blunt and penetrating trauma, but you don't do any when you're on your ED months. You have separate trauma months which are supposed to be very fruitful. You also do community months were you're the trauma guy. They said they have no concerns about their trauma experience. I really ‘fit' there.
2.Carolinas – Again, wow. This place is an institution. I mean, this is one of THE places for EM. It (EM) is king of the hospital, and CMC isn't a hospital to turn up your nose at. I had a great time with the residents at the pre-interview dinner – they were a great group of people that I'd enjoy working with. They took us to a lecture on the interview day that was very laid back but high yield and engaging. Charlotte is amazing. The benefits are stupid good there. Honestly, I can't think of one negative thing to say about CMC. It was my number 1 throughout the interview season until my last interview at UAB.
3.Vandy – Great place to train. Amazing didactics, great benefits. Nashville is awesome. I loved the residents. I saw this very much on par with CMC, except I had a slightly awkward interaction with the PD in my interview. They have anything you could ever want at your disposal. I prefer Charlotte to Nashville, but just by a hair.
4.BWH/MGH – Awesome place to train. I mean, common' – it's Man's Greatest Hospital AND the Brigham AND Boston Children's – it's an embarrassment of riches. I was really surprised by this one. Part of the reason I wanted to interview was to simply see the facilities. I expected to be turned off by the people. I actually had a great time at the pre (actually post) interview dinner. All of the residents were extremely approachable. I even commented on that to one of them – the response was "yea, like him, that's bob. Sure went to MIT undergrad, HMS and presented his own research last week at a huge conference….to me, he's just bob who lost 40 bucks to me playing poker last night." The faculty was an all-star cast and very down to earth. Had a really great interview there. I would consider ranking this program number 1, but Boston isn't a great place for my wife – the market is saturated with people in her field. Also, it's REALLY cold and a 4yr program. I'd still be thrilled to end up here. It sounded like there might be a little too much "hands-off" attitude from the peds fellows, but I don't doubt that you'd still get plenty of great peds training.
5.Emory – Man, do you get it all here? They have Grady, the quintessential county hospital where you see EVERYTHING. They have Emory Midtown where you can get your community experience. They have Emory University where you can see the crazy "there are only 10 of these in the country" disease. I really liked the residents. A very eclectic group. They are big on public policy. You would walk out of this place ready for anything.

Other programs that were all excellent in alphabetical order.

BIDMC: I wanted to fall in love with this program, but I couldn't. Like I said before, Boston would be tough for my wife to find a job. With all the affiliate-hospitals, there is a lot of travel. I feel like if I went there, I would want to have a car for all the travelling, and my wife would most likely need a car for her job. I feel like it would be tough to find a reasonable place to live in a desirable neighborhood with parking for two (if you can even find an apartment with parking). They had all sorts of opportunities and their faculty had a bunch of heavy-hitters in the field. Their EMR is unreal. A few residents mentioned that they felt like they were overworked – no hints of malignancy, just a heavy work load. Their 3+1 model is incredible. This is a GREAT program, I just thought it would be tough logistically for my wife and I, and I think they work a little too much.
MUSC: Awesome PD. This program is making leaps and bounds and has an undoubtedly upward trajectory. Charleston may be the prettiest city in the county. Their ED has a poor physical layout. I had no questions about the training here.
ORMC: Amazing program with a PD who I suspect would give you the shirt off his back. This program reminded me of CMC – I thought they were very similar in most aspects. Orlando is a great city with a ton to do (other than just Disney). My wife and I have both lived in FL and would both like to have something else for a little while. If not in FL, this would be top 5.
UF Jacksonville: Great program, kind of a trial by fire. Very resident run, but not overly so as it may have been in the past. They always have attendings available, but they won't hold your hand. Residents were all very competent and easy to get along with. EM kinda runs the show for a lot of the hospital. Felt like they hadn't read my file at the interview. Jacksonville, contrary to popular believe is a great city. Like I said, want to get out of FL for a little while, if not I would have ranked this much higher.
UNC: Awesome PD – this guy was on par with the UAB PD – those two were easily the two men that I would want to work for. Great curriculum with stellar international opportunities. Their faculty was all extremely accomplished, apparently Tintanelli still works shifts in the ED. Loved the aPDs that I met. There's a lot of driving, but the traffic isn't bad, so that's not really a deal breaker. I liked the university and community. It seemed like you'd be a little overshadowed by surgery and IM since UNC is such an institution, but have great opportunities at WakeMed and a freestanding ED. Had a bad interaction with one of the residents – one just seemed really pretentious and acted like I was beneath them. Unfortunately, 90% of the time I talked had with residents was spent with just one, so my sample size is pretty small, even still, I would not want to work with that person.

Nicest dinner: UNC
Best Beer: BWH/MGH (Boston Beer Works)
Favorite food: UAB (Nachos and Pizza)
Most fun dinner: CMC
Worst Traffic: Emory
Best swag: tie – ORMC (helicopter shaped USB drive) and Vanderbilt (Moon pie)

Last edited:
Not to change the topic of this thread...but it has to do with my ROL. How important is sending out those letter of interest emails? Will the PDs from my November interviews completely forget about me if I don't send the letters out? And what about my late January interviews that I wrote thank you's to. Is it necessary to email them again? I did it for my number one place which I interviewed in November. Should I be considering writing it to other places as well?

Also. Would you rank reputation of the program over location/feel with the residents? My list is very tentative right now because my numbers 2-8 are very much on the same playing field. Each of them has their own ups and downs and I'm have problems deciding on how to order them. I feel like I want to rank one of those programs higher just to see if I could match there because they are more reputable over another one that I may have a better chance with or feel a better fit with...just because I'm curious.

Thoughts?

Not to change the topic of this thread...but it has to do with my ROL. How important is sending out those letter of interest emails? Will the PDs from my November interviews completely forget about me if I don't send the letters out? And what about my late January interviews that I wrote thank you's to. Is it necessary to email them again? I did it for my number one place which I interviewed in November. Should I be considering writing it to other places as well?

Also. Would you rank reputation of the program over location/feel with the residents? My list is very tentative right now because my numbers 2-8 are very much on the same playing field. Each of them has their own ups and downs and I'm have problems deciding on how to order them. I feel like I want to rank one of those programs higher just to see if I could match there because they are more reputable over another one that I may have a better chance with or feel a better fit with...just because I'm curious.

Thoughts?
LOIs probably mean very little, send them or dont cause they probs matter very litte.
Go with a better fit/i would rather live here over reputation/I would have a better chance of matching here.

The match works in your favor and you should rank programs in order of 1) really wanna go here 2) really wanna go here but not as much as 1.

LOIs probably mean very little, send them or dont cause they probs matter very litte.
Go with a better fit/i would rather live here over reputation/I would have a better chance of matching here.

The match works in your favor and you should rank programs in order of 1) really wanna go here 2) really wanna go here but not as much as 1.

Agree with all of this.

Only rank someplace higher if you want to go to it more. You only get into one place after all, there's no turning some place down and going elsewhere like there is with medschool/college applications.

me:strong applicant. no red flags. I'm fun and personable, though I admit at some of these interviews I get a little nervous/adrenaline surge and don't think I always portray "calm".. though i most certainly am "cool" and "collected". what I mean to say, is that I am a B+ interviewer most of the time. My bias is to live in NYC, but I've a few places I like outside for various reasons. Certified my list this AM, probably won't be revising it.

1. U Maryland
2. Yale
3. Jacobi
4. Beth Israel NYC
5. SLR
6. NYP
7. Lincoln- I think they are up and coming
8. LIJ
9. NY Methodist
10. Northshore- the PD rubbed me the wrong way. I know people who rotated there and described it as a "great looking hospital, malignant program"

2 others, debating on whether or not to rank. Location was absolutely not for me, though I wonder if I'd still rather live in bumblefrak than go to Northshore. Also one more program that I really liked and it's probably going to be my #1 after I do my second look next week. I'm not jinxing this though, so I am opting not to list it.

About me: unranked state school, Step 1 230’s, Step 2 240’s, 1 away, some non-EM research, applied to 36, granted 18 interviews, went to 10 places.

1. Utah-blown away by the program. The residents and faculty seem to promote a family like atmosphere. All the residents were so enthusiastic and seemed really happy. Salt Lake City is really nice with a decent cost of living and is so close to the mountains. Hospital facilities are amazing. The PD not only wants resident feedback/constructive criticism but it is expected.
2. MUSC-newer program that seems to really value resident feedback. I really hit it off with the PD and all the residents seemed to love the program. Charleston is a really nice city and the beach is only 15 minutes away.
3. CMC-rotated here and loved it. All the residents and attendings were amazing. Close to the beach and the mountains. Charlotte is nice but I didn’t love it as much as I loved my top 2 locations. The patient population is incredibly diverse despite 1 hospital. The residents are really tight and hang out together all the time. Lots of off service rotations but the residents have had the opportunity to change it but vote to keep it every year.
4. EVMS-wide variety of locations/practice types. The PD seems to really care about resident well being. Older program with a solid reputation. Would be happy here. Norfolk seems nice even though I didn’t have time to check it out a little more.
5. USC Palmetto-The PD is amazing and seems to genuinely care about the residents. Strong emphasis on the business part of EM which isn’t much fun but imperative. Ability to rotate in Hawaii for a month and their offices look like a travel agent. Not a huge fan of Columbia as it’s relatively small and seems to have a little old south vibe going on. I am not sure I want to do 12 hour shifts for most of the year.
6. Las Vegas-hit it off with all the residents. More of a county experience but the residents seemed like they would be prepared for anything. Low COL, near the mountains. The city is very much a 24 hour a day city even off the strip which is a bonus if you’re in EM
7. Chattanooga-newer program but has lots of potential. Residents and attendings are all very down to earth. Mix of academic and community attendings in the ED so it’s a great opportunity to learn both medicine and how to move the meat. Peds seems a little weaker as there are several peds hospitals nearby (vandy, Atlanta).
8. Wash U-I didn’t love the program but was actually surprised (in a good way) by the city. Sick population. I wasn’t sold on a 4 year program as the residents sounded like some of the off-service rotations were a waste of time.
9. UF-Jacksonville-weird interviews (all pysch/situational questions). Prefer a temperature besides hot.
10. Arkansas-don’t have a desire to live in Arkansas because I don’t think I would ever leave. Very busy ED with lots of autonomy. Somewhat inbred.

East Coast top med school, significant EM/trauma research. Good extracurriculars. 16 total interviews. My wants are a little different than other applicants. I'm all for the county trauma/critical care experience with some epi research and lots of grittiness thrown in.

1) Henry Ford- Saw more traumas and critically sick patients there during a day there than at a normal month at my home institution, nuff said. Manny, Thumper, helicopters, BFFs with NYC, EM takes all procedures, cool residents, tons of perks. I'm sold. Only negative is the D honestly, but I'm ready for a big house, a dog, and the tigers after east coasting it for so long. Cat 1 is the birthplace of EGDT and I love the bell when a case comes in, that alone made me rank it 1!
2) LSU New Orleans- Awesome city, Awesome residents, awesome faculty, only Level 1 in Southern Louisiana. On my interview they dropped the fact that they average around 1 GSW activation per day at LSU. You train the Navy SEALs in trauma resus. Was the happiest interview I've had.
3) Hennepin- Happy People, happy city, county, placement second to none. Happy midwest patients, amazing public works support for patients social and medical needs. Surgically minded curriculum. Negative- It's crazy cold, no critical care fellowship.
4) Sinai- Elmhurst, Elmhurst, Elmhurst. Amazing research staff, sorta a combo of all strengths of the NYC programs. They have Weingart, Newman, the best hits from SLR, Jagoda, and a ton of top notch academic EM docs. Negative- NYC in no bueno.
5) Wash U- I really respected the PD. Critical care fellowship. St. Louis is number 2 in trauma per capita, only to Detroit. Well set up trauma bay that is expandable.
6) UPenn- they have this nice "Penn shock trauma" thing in development. Very academic, very nice facilities. CHOP. Philly is the one of the most livable cities on the East Coast.
7) Michigan- Gunning to be one of the top names in EM critical care. Helicopters galore. Smart residents. Negative- A little too academic for my taste, saturdays + collegetown=disaster in EM.
8) Maricopa- Awesome county set-up. PD has a very academic/county set up and trained at Wash U. Great weather.
9) NYP- Might become one of the only Level 1 trauma centers in manhattan since ACS is changing NYC guidelines???? maybe???
10) DMC- Detroit medical craziness. It's a warzone, if that's your thing.

I don't get it - How come Henry Ford is #1 but DMC is so far down? They have the same demographic of patients?

I don't get it - How come Henry Ford is #1 but DMC is so far down? They have the same demographic of patients?

Isn't that the best part of these lists? That they're so personal.

Hey all

I am probably a run of the mill applicant - Step 1 230s, Step 2 250s, plenty of research (none in EM), decent 2nd tier med school. Applied to 81, got 21 interviews, did 17.

I had the same question about LOI's going to the #2 and #3 programs. Obviously it would be unethical to say each school is my #1 choice, but would it be harmful to say "your school is one of my top choices"? (because then they know they're not #1?)

Also, having trouble deciding on a #1 program. I'm stuck between Cook County (loved the people and the PD, love the county setting for all of its pros/cons, don't mind the 4 years) and Univ of Chicago (only 3 years is a nice bonus, love the academia, lots of people go into fellowships, and they rotate at a county-like hospital for the trauma experience).

Anybody else have thoughts on either schools?

thx

Hey all

I am probably a run of the mill applicant - Step 1 230s, Step 2 250s, plenty of research (none in EM), decent 2nd tier med school. Applied to 81, got 21 interviews, did 17.

I had the same question about LOI's going to the #2 and #3 programs. Obviously it would be unethical to say each school is my #1 choice, but would it be harmful to say "your school is one of my top choices"? (because then they know they're not #1?)

Also, having trouble deciding on a #1 program. I'm stuck between Cook County (loved the people and the PD, love the county setting for all of its pros/cons, don't mind the 4 years) and Univ of Chicago (only 3 years is a nice bonus, love the academia, lots of people go into fellowships, and they rotate at a county-like hospital for the trauma experience).

Anybody else have thoughts on either schools?

thx

I have been told by a PD in another specialty that you should say that you will be "ranking them high on your list" if they are near the top but not your #1

Right, I understand why a program director might like students sending that info out, but I can still see that as only damaging. From a program directors perspective, getting an email saying "you are towards the top of my list" provides me with only one piece of information--that This program is NOT number one. "towards the top" can be #2 or #10 depending on any persons definition of "towards the top".

Would appreciate other perspectives, but from my viewpoint it seems like it can only be damaging...

The only way I can see this as helpeful is if programs EXPECT an email indicating they are towards the top and if they don't get an email they just assume you don't care about them. So that is something I hope someone on SDN in program leadership can address...

Part of me thinks that emailing the programs is a waste of time and has minimal bearing on the rank list. That being said. I told my #1 they my #1 and I told other programs that I loved that I loved them. I dont think a PD will knock you down on their list, because think about it, how many of you out there loved your top 5-10 programs? I interviewed at 13. My top 10 I all felt like I could be really happy at. If I ended at my #10, I'd still be excited to be there.

idk though, just my 0.02

If you wanna send emails. I dont see any harm in telling your number 2 that theyre number 2. But if youre planning on emailing 3, 4, and 5 you should probably just say i am ranking you guys highly.

This thread has aprogdirector'ss input on this issue ( he's an IM PD I believe).

Personally I'm not going to expend much energy on this emailing programs business. I'm about 50/50 if I'll send a letter to my #1 and I'm not sending anything to the others. It really wouldn't make sense for either party to let letters/phone calls affect their ROL.

I imagine it's something other than patient demographics that differentiated them.

Can we discuss Kaweah Delta and Kern.

Kaweah Delta - brand new which makes me very scared about it. The PD and aPD seem nice and it seems they have things planned out but you never know.
I am worried about the off-service rotations, will the attendings be receptive to the new residents. (The PD said the attendings are happy to have residents... but hard to know how things will go).

Kern - County program. Only about 45k or so patients per year. I am mostly worried about the peds exposure. The ED seems okay but the rest of the hospital is very old (monitors for the 70s with just the green writing!).
Also, I don't think their curriculum has anything special to justify the 4th year. They do 40 hours per week which to me seems kind of little. Why be 4 years and do 40 hours per week if you can do 50-55 for 3 years.

But both are in California which makes them attractive. I am curious about what others think, maybe I am missing something.

Kern and Kaweah Delta

I have zero input on these programs but I grew up in Bakersifled (Kern) and have been in Visalia (Kaweah Delta) a number of times. I am not sure what you would say makes these attractive areas. People think "oh, California is great" but keep in mind that California is a gigantic state with a ton of diversity.

Bakersfield does not have ideal weather... it's really hot in the summer. 100+ for 30 consecutive days is routine. Mild winters but it gets considerably colder than LA. It is extremely conservative politically with heavy agriculture and oil business influence. It is the least educated of the 100 largest American cities (1/6 adults have graduated college)

Visalia is similar but much smaller.

Don't get me wrong. Bakersfield is not a horrible place to live. And I am sure the interview day highlights the cost of living, etc. It's just important to realize it is not Los Angeles or San Diego or any of the coastal vacation destinations most people associate with the Golden State.

In terms of cost of living in Kern, they pay $40k for PGY1 currently, which is ridiculously low.

Those that interviewed at Detroit Receiving did you receive an e-mail from them today saying they finished interviewing? The e-mail makes it sound it was sent to an exclusive group but it wasn't addressed to anyone so I am not sure how many people actually got it.

Ha! I remember way back (2006) to my own GWU interview, and it was crap. Crappiest of all the interviews I did.

I ranked them last.

Can we see some more ROLs please? :D You don't have to give reasons why you ranked them the way you did. I'm just curious to see where you all want to go.

Those that interviewed at Detroit Receiving did you receive an e-mail from them today saying they finished interviewing? The e-mail makes it sound it was sent to an exclusive group but it wasn't addressed to anyone so I am not sure how many people actually got it.

Interviewed there but didn't get an e-mail today.

I would recommend "you're #1" to your #1 - and only your #1. Why say anything to the other programs about where you're ranking them? "Near the top" just sounds ridiculous, and "in my top three" means #2 or #3 ...

I'd go ahead and send a note - having your name go across the PD's desk is unlikely to hurt - with something along the lines of "now that I've completed all my interviews, I really love X, Y, and Z about _program-name_ and think it would be a great fit for me because of _Q_ and I'd be delighted to train there." If you have something compelling about yourself that you'd bring as an asset to the program, feel free to throw that in there also. They don't need to know that you sent a "you're #1" note to another program ...

Deleted per request of poster.

Last edited:

I received that email yesterday. They are heavily recruiting applicants. I got a phone call Christmas from a resident and several other emails that I'm pretty sure were sent out to everyone.

On another note, not that I'm allowing my rol to be influenced by what a pd says... But my dream/reach program has responded to my thank you email with something along the lines of "you will be seriously considered...we think you'd be a great fit". I obviously don't want to get my hopes up, but how often would a PD say something like that to someone who wasn't going to be ranked highly? They can't all be dishonest recruiting machines that would say anything to get you to rank them highly...can they?

I received that email yesterday. They are heavily recruiting applicants. I got a phone call Christmas from a resident and several other emails that I'm pretty sure were sent out to everyone.

On another note, not that I'm allowing my rol to be influenced by what a pd says... But my dream/reach program has responded to my thank you email with something along the lines of "you will be seriously considered...we think you'd be a great fit". I obviously don't want to get my hopes up, but how often would a PD say something like that to someone who wasn't going to be ranked highly? They can't all be dishonest recruiting machines that would say anything to get you to rank them highly...can they?

I refer you to this post here to help you figure out just exactly what was meant by that email.