Rank Order List [2012-2013]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats everyone!

Matched!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
which ones? don't know if that is okay to ask or not...

People in the SOAP are the only ones that are allowed to know (outside of the programs) and aren't supposed to tell anyone that isn't doing the SOAP. I think they will release the info next Monday if I'm not mistaken.

CONGRATS TO EVERYONE! I'm not above admitting that I teared up a little haha. So happy, SO excited, and SO glad I get to call you guys/girls my colleagues.

there's 3 SOAP positions available

A friend of mine who didn't match said there are 3 unfilled programs listed, but only one that's participating in SOAP. It doesn't really matter whether it's 1 or 3 though...utterly dismal chances either way.

A friend of mine who didn't match said there are 3 unfilled programs listed, but only one that's participating in SOAP. It doesn't really matter whether it's 1 or 3 though...utterly dismal chances either way.

Are the ones not participating allowed to fill outside of NRMP or do they just go empty now?

I'm not sure. I matched, so I don't have real access to any more info...just going on what friend told me.

No prob, I matched I was just curious why they would opt out of SOAP

Those two could be those slots paid for by the Saudi Gov't to train Saudi docs in ER in the US.

I know that Case Western was approved for 2 more spots but that they would only be available in the SOAP. So maybe that's 2 of the 3?

Members don't see this ad :)
If they are unfilled, but not listed in SOAP, then they are able to fill their spots outside of the match. They can't recruit anyone that used the NRMP program this year or it's a violation (from what I heard). Someone in my class was told that some of these "unfilled" spots, that are not listed on SOAP, are actually spots for current prelim students at that respective school.

If they are unfilled, but not listed in SOAP, then they are able to fill their spots outside of the match. They can't recruit anyone that used the NRMP program this year or it's a violation (from what I heard). Someone in my class was told that some of these "unfilled" spots, that are not listed on SOAP, are actually spots for current prelim students at that respective school.

Feel like that kind of goes against the "All In" mantra.

So, who all matched? I heard there were only three open spots nationwide! Looks like EM has remained extremely competitive...

Dont ask where the spots are, thats against the rules.

I matched, and I saw that on the NRMP report earlier... crazy.

Congrats, all!

Anyone know where the 3 unmatched spots are? I'm assuming 2 are at Case Western based on emails I've received from them.

wasn't it one in the central/midwest area and two in the northeast, per the R3 --> my reports --> Regional Match Statistics by Specialty

Anyone know where the 3 unmatched spots are? I'm assuming 2 are at Case Western based on emails I've received from them.

AFAIK No one can tell you or they are in violation of NRMP rules.

If anyone is interested in a cleaner looking table or doesn't want to go to the NRMP website, I took the total data and then stratified the major specialties by program fill rate and it should be attached to this post if I did it right.

Attachments

• soap data.pdf
    43.7 KB · Views: 548
If anyone is interested in a cleaner looking table or doesn't want to go to the NRMP website, I took the total data and then stratified the major specialties by program fill rate and it should be attached to this post if I did it right.

It doesn't seem like you included the advanced programs. Is this just for catagoricals?

It doesn't seem like you included the advanced programs. Is this just for catagoricals?

That's what it looks like to me, just categoricals. Still, pretty brutal match year, glad I wasn't in it!

Your stuff seems off. There's like 360 derm spots in the country.

I think the difference was between PGY-1 vs PGY-2 positions.

Late submission, first post on SDN, just started creeping on it for interviews and it helped a lot:

-MD Student: Step 1/2 250s/260s, 1st quintile class rank, some research, plenty of teaching/volunteer/work experience
-Applied 20, Offered 14, Interviewed 8 (cancelled a lot of interviews mid-way after reflecting and doing my hw: Kalamazoo, Regions, U of Chicago, Johns Hopkins, U of Washington, Denver)

-Exactly what I am looking for: 3-year community-based/university-affiliated program that is balanced as far as the curriculum/patient population and has strengths in CCM, academics/teaching, research and is solid in ultrasound and neuroCCM. Learning environment is one that is challenging/provoking but at the same time nurturing and has a family feel. An academic environment without the ivory tower feel. Residents and faculty have a sense of humor. ED is busy, but not crazy busy or a war-zone…you have a chance to reflect on a case or have on-the-fly teaching, and sometimes discuss it with an attending for a few minutes before getting “back to work”. Residency structure is one that is more hands-off and let you study on your own, allows residents to take ownership and stake in their own curriculum/education, and is readily willing and able to adapt.

ROL: ***There is very little separating a lot of these programs IMO, pretty much 1-7 are TOP programs. 5-7 I ranked lower mainly because their curriculum was more “surgical” vs “medical” and were not geared for the new ABIM/ABEM co-sponsorship requirements for doing an IM-CCM 2 year fellowship (6 months of IM/MICU rotations: http://www.abim.org/news/critical-care-medicine.aspx).

1) Indiana: +great work-life balance, awesome PD, CCM emphasis with 1:1 rounding with faculty on ICU rotations, CCM fellowship and excellent EM/CC leadership in faculty. Great family feel among residents/faculty.
-Indianapolis will get boring after a couple years, residency seems pretty regimented at times, peds heavy curriculum (2 PICU months/1 Peds Urgent care month on top usual peds curriculum), surgery/ICU residents sometimes steal the show in the ED, sorta regional residents/placement

2) Henry Ford: +awesome PD, HUGE CCM emphasis with legends of EM/CC in faculty, research strengths, EM/IM/CC pathway (6 yrs), +great CCM or NeuroCC fellowship, most pathology/acuity, ED residents own their patients/resus in the ED, free 1mo Hawaii vacation.
-Detroit (but nobody lives downtown, there are surrounding areas with reasonable commutes that are really excellent places to live (Royal Oaks or Ann Arbor if you're young, Bloomfield or Troy if you're married/kids). Not so nice facilities despite financially sound system, no teaching/pitboss role, sorta regional residents but excellent placement

3) Carolinas: +Great residents/faculty, friendly, warm, and excellent location, but don't let it fool you, they see very high acuity as well, great training. Excellent benefits, facilities, work-life balance. Very hands-off residency. Ward months are a +!!! (assured of this), ED residents own their patients/resus in the ED every other day with surgery.
-Lost their main research workhorse to IU, no CCM fellowship, no teaching/pitboss role, ortho weakness

4) Wash U (4yr): Great program but not necessarily interested in 4 yr program since doing CC fellowship, especially since a lot of that time is sorta useless apparently (eg. NICU month?!). Other than that, AWESOME program if you're considering a 4 yr program, great fellowship and academic options.

5) Pitt: Really cool PD. Top program. EMS strengths as well as CCM. Very academic, great off-service, one of the first and best CCM fellowships for EM. 5 different hospitals, lots of commuting through sometimes crazy Pitt traffic. ED residents only do airway in ED, most other things done when on off-service. 2 EMS months with lots of prep (flying and jeep) that some residents find frustrating/annoying...yet it persists.

6) Hennepin: Loved the city, residents and program. Prob should have considered doing their EM/IM program but didn't want to do 7 years of residency/fellowship. No EM/CC fellowship or faculty. Nonetheless, excellent CCM and US teaching. Pitboss role is awesome, but could be seen as negative given that it's all your shifts third year. Peds weakness. Liked to have seen more exchanged EM months with Regions or off-service with U of Minn since it's a pretty county heavy experience. Excellent placement.

7) Maryland: Another great program like Henry Ford with excellent CCM emphasis and EM/IM/CC pathway. Just didn't get a good gut feeling.

8) UCSF-Fresno (4yr): Excellent program for those interested in county experience and wilderness medicine. Really cool group of residents from all over the country.

Hey everyone, CONGRATS on matching! I'm a MS3 applying to EM this Fall.

1) Wanted your thoughts on doing 3 EM aways: June, Aug, Sept (outside of home EM, which will be in Oct). June & Aug: EM Sub-I, Sept: Tox/Peds 2wks each. I've heard 3 aways might be overkill...if it gives you the chance to experience 3 of your top/desired programs for longer than one interview day, why not? In terms of $$$, i have free housing w family for two of them.

2) For those who did EM aways at Vandy, UNC, or UMass, mind sharing a brief review of your experience?

Most love Vandy. UNC's issue is that their "other" hospital is 45 miles away from UNC proper. No idea on Umass. I heard great things about BID on the interview trail and during my interview there. MGH had super nice people..

Hey everyone, CONGRATS on matching! I'm a MS3 applying to EM this Fall.

1) Wanted your thoughts on doing 3 EM aways: June, Aug, Sept (outside of home EM, which will be in Oct). June & Aug: EM Sub-I, Sept: Tox/Peds 2wks each. I've heard 3 aways might be overkill...if it gives you the chance to experience 3 of your top/desired programs for longer than one interview day, why not? In terms of $$$, i have free housing w family for two of them.

2) For those who did EM aways at Vandy, UNC, or UMass, mind sharing a brief review of your experience?

Dude.... How many times are you going to ask this same question? This post makes at least 3.

Dude.... How many times are you going to ask this same question? This post makes at least 3.

Sry bud, wanted some quick opinions. Need to make few time-sensitive decisions by the end of the week.

I interviewed at UMass and loved it. Was too far from family so it went down my list a bit (3rd) but - excellent program with strong residents and a great faculty with a good vision for the program. Highly recommended!

My stats: AOA, 240s/260s, EMx3 HP/H/H, significant extracurricular leadership, non-traditional candidate, no research
My apps: East Coast tier 2 med school with desire to leave for warmer climates. Applied 26, offered 19, interviewed 14

Stanford
Overall: Established academic 3yr program with versatile clinical sites set in a culture and location that emphasizes resident wellness.
(+) Versatile practice settings between academic (50% of time, >50k), community (25%, >65k), county (25%, >140k). 23mo EM, 5mo ICU, 2mo electives. Higher acuity/procedures at county than previously at SFGH. Kaiser is an interesting community setup where good primary care setup ensures only sick players show up at the ED – plus you're well positioned for a Kaiser job afterwards. Strong in health policy and admin, ultrasound, peds, critical care, wilderness. Along with BIDMC, probably the two most academic 3yr programs in the country. Resources available for any niche you want to pursue. Bay area temperate climate with many outdoors opportunities. Residents (and their SOs) are very, very close. Cultural commitment to resident wellness. PGY3s starting a junior attending role this year on some shifts.
(-) High COL is only somewhat offset by salary. Half the time you'll be making a 30min drive to the other two sites. 12hr shifts and lots of them, leave within 30min after. Someone told me you work the same number of ED hours in this 3yr program as most 4yr programs. There is (and always will be) some pushback at the academic enter by nature of being an academic center, but being a 20+ yr old program the battles have already been fought. California feel to the residents FWIW.

Northwestern
Overall: Excellent fit for anyone from the Midwest considering academics, especially critical care.
(+) Academic 4yr program that competes for the same applicant subset as HAEMR, UCSF, etc. Northwestern Hosp mix rich/poor >85k. 2mo trauma at Cook County. Integrated peds shift (1:5) with brand new children's hosp 65k. 1mo/yr Gary community hosp but more like county pop. 1mo true community PGY-2. Graduated responsibility with junior attending roles in PGY3/4. 9.5mo ICU, 3mo electives. No floor months.
(-) 2 level design to the ED is logistically inefficient from a supervisory/flow perspective. Chicago winters. More "east coast intensity/smugness" than expected...some might even say a bit of a chip on the shoulder. Also, personal preference, the PD presentation had a little too much "Kellogg" marketing sell to it.

Davis
Overall: Strong clinical training in a knife and gun club city that is also a research powerhouse.
(+) Excellent resident culture and faculty impression, clinically strong. Seems like they get more than enough procedures with the ample trauma in Sac town. Knife and gun club city. 2site: 70% @ Davis (58k+12k), 30% @ Kaiser community (72k+18k) 10min away. Academic center but previously a county hospital so mixed like Carolinas. Integrated peds + 2 discrete months + PICU. 20mo EM, 4mo ICU, 1mo elective. Conferences completely faculty taught, not residents. PD young, energetic, relatable. 2nd years run D section of ED (mid acuity). Faculty are academically productive, especially Peds (Kupperman, PECARN). Policy in-roads in Sacramento capitol.
(-) Sacramento is very livable and up-and-coming, but if you're young and single your options will be more limited compared to a more cosmopolitan city. 12 hour shifts that usually stretch to 13. Medicine floor, ambulatory Peds. EM are big dogs in the hospital, which is nice but may make learning on off service rotations less worthwhile. A lot of graduates stick around after graduation. No obs unit (holding pods).

Hopkins
Overall: Worthy of its institution's reputation and culture of equanimitas, but you can also find as great training elsewhere in more livable circumstances and a less rigid work environment.
(+): 50% Hopkins county + academic (64k adult, 30k peds). 25% Bayview county (60k, 2mo/yr, 1:1 attending, crazy busy). 25% Howard rich community (59k). Discrete peds in years 1,3, and integrated shifts in 2. 12s (weekdays), 8s. PGY4s have a supervisory role. 3mo ICU, 1mo Shock trauma. 4-year curriculum (since 2008) that still technically finishes in 3. The best designed 4th year I saw on the trail, really adds to job marketability and personal interest exploration. 4th year self-designed FAST track (960hrs) = 20h/wk and the other 20h/wk you can spend on your choice, flexible design just has to be cleared by approachable PD. Best use of the 4th year probably is u/s. Worth noting that the 4th year cannot be rolled into a micu based fellowship because Hopkins reserves their MICU spots for IM/pulm residents only. New ED with 24/7 rads/scans. Proximity to DC. Clear graduated responsibility. Get to serve an underserved population. Residents are academic leader types with fascinating backgrounds.
(-) Crazy long boarding (10-20hrs), long wait times, some shifts are just babysitting rooms and not seeing new patients. Very anti-EM culture of deference and hierarchy between faculty and resident (white coats, last name formality). Baltimore +/-. 4th years report they felt ready to be attendings after 3yrs.

Carolinas
Overall: Strong clinical training in a nice part of the country that will better prepare you for community practice than academic exit opportunities.
(+) Excellent resident culture and faculty impression, clinically strong. Community single-site: 85k+30k. Blend of rich and poor. Warm and kind culture. Livable city with mild winters, vibrant young-adult financial community, close outdoor activities. Long history reputation so good community job placement. New UNC affiliation. 17mo EM. 5mo ICU. Integrated peds. Medicine, Peds floor months. Moving to block didactics this year instead of daily didactics.
(-) Strongest program in hospital so poorer off-service learning. Exit opportunities not as strong if you are considering non-medicine routes (i.e. policy). With the unfortunate passing of their previous chair and notables like Jeff Kline moving on, some feel like this program may be moving out of its golden age, but certainly all the ingredients for success are still there.

I didn't write as much about these since they weren't in my top 5:

BIDMC
(+) PD/chair Denver grads compress Denver's 4year program into three years. Impressive graduated PPH ratios (end of PGY2 = 5.6), with PGY3 pit boss role seeing all flow through 20 bed main area. 3+1 year pays 100k for 20hrs/wk and also covers tuition for another Harvard degree (i.e. MPH). Significant research productivity – you will publish. Best EMR on the road.
(-) Main site "acuity" has high incidence of elderly/septic bomb pathology. 8 other sites = commuting + learning new systems. Inside word is resident productivity > resident wellness. Somewhat stiff feel but comes with the academic territory. Boston is a lovely family-friendly city but not my cup of tea. I hear staffing Red Sox games become more of a chore after a while?

Cincinnati
(+) Clinically very strong with graduated responsibility and flight. EM strong leadership in hospital (as with Georgetown and UMass, this comes into play in many subtle ways).
(-) Did not see value of 4th year. Location dealbreaker (but very livable if you're already settled down)

Georgetown
(+) Expanded to 10 spots this year, good sign. New PD energetic and comimitted. Rising star. 91K volume at MedStar where 80% time is spent. All shifts 1:1 with attending, although this may change with class size bump. Strong peds, critical care, health policy opportunities. Friendly feel, the "sorority" class is graduating but most residents seem to be married or in stable relationships. Most grads stay in area. MedStar leadership are EM docs.
(-) DC traffic. Nothing stood out as a clear strength.

Harbor UCLA
(+) Strong in both clinical and research competency. Interesting, fun, approachable residents and faculty.
(-) Did not see value of new 4th year. One current resident warned possibility of hour creep once new ED/hospital opens this year and there is more space to saff (current pts wait 10+ hrs to be seen). I want a component of county in my training but not straight county. Weak off-service learning.

Pitt - pretty strong training up there with Carolinas, Davis, UMass but did not like the city
U Chicago - the most academic county setup in the country but very underresourced. a fun bunch
UCSF SFH – nice people but again, did not feel the 4th year is necessary
U Mass - strongest u/s experience on the trail with an academic county feel, but living in Worcester seems socially suffocating
U Washington - this will be a top tier program in 3-4 years but still fighting their battles and ironing out kinks in the curriculum
Loma Linda - strongest peds on the trail, PD is the most engaging and genuinely interested I met, but location is estranged from LA by traffic, restrictive dietary rules in the hospital, a few residents mentioned that some academic faculty are not interested in teaching

I hope you are not naive enough to actually believe this statistic as something that is meaningful. For any of you 4th year medical students reading this, a number like this is meaningless unless you know how it is calculated...different shops calculate their pph in different ways which can produce significantly disparate results for essentially the same level of work. I did some quick math myself on this one:

BIDMC sees (according to their website) 57,000 pts per year in their ED. Let's take June as a representative month of the "end of PGY-2"...57,000/12 months=4750 pts seen in a month. 4750/30 days in june=158.3 pts seen per day in the month of june. 158.3/24 hours in a day=6.6 pts per hour for the entire ED each day.

I highly doubt that a program of such high regard would mislead somebody so badly...maybe there is a chance you "misremember" this information from your interview day there, which is now many months ago.

My stats: AOA, 240s/260s, EMx3 HP/H/H, significant extracurricular leadership, non-traditional candidate, no research
My apps: East Coast tier 2 med school with desire to leave for warmer climates. Applied 26, offered 19, interviewed 14

Stanford
Overall: Established academic 3yr program with versatile clinical sites set in a culture and location that emphasizes resident wellness.
(+) Versatile practice settings between academic (50% of time, >50k), community (25%, >65k), county (25%, >140k). 23mo EM, 5mo ICU, 2mo electives. Higher acuity/procedures at county than previously at SFGH. Kaiser is an interesting community setup where good primary care setup ensures only sick players show up at the ED – plus you’re well positioned for a Kaiser job afterwards. Strong in health policy and admin, ultrasound, peds, critical care, wilderness. Along with BIDMC, probably the two most academic 3yr programs in the country. Resources available for any niche you want to pursue. Bay area temperate climate with many outdoors opportunities. Residents (and their SOs) are very, very close. Cultural commitment to resident wellness. PGY3s starting a junior attending role this year on some shifts.
(-) High COL is only somewhat offset by salary. Half the time you’ll be making a 30min drive to the other two sites. 12hr shifts and lots of them, leave within 30min after. Someone told me you work the same number of ED hours in this 3yr program as most 4yr programs. There is (and always will be) some pushback at the academic enter by nature of being an academic center, but being a 20+ yr old program the battles have already been fought. California feel to the residents FWIW.

Northwestern
Overall: Excellent fit for anyone from the Midwest considering academics, especially critical care.
(+) Academic 4yr program that competes for the same applicant subset as HAEMR, UCSF, etc. Northwestern Hosp mix rich/poor >85k. 2mo trauma at Cook County. Integrated peds shift (1:5) with brand new children's hosp 65k. 1mo/yr Gary community hosp but more like county pop. 1mo true community PGY-2. Graduated responsibility with junior attending roles in PGY3/4. 9.5mo ICU, 3mo electives. No floor months.
(-) 2 level design to the ED is logistically inefficient from a supervisory/flow perspective. Chicago winters. More "east coast intensity/smugness" than expected...some might even say a bit of a chip on the shoulder. Also, personal preference, the PD presentation had a little too much "Kellogg" marketing sell to it.

Davis
Overall: Strong clinical training in a knife and gun club city that is also a research powerhouse.
(+) Excellent resident culture and faculty impression, clinically strong. Seems like they get more than enough procedures with the ample trauma in Sac town. Knife and gun club city. 2site: 70% @ Davis (58k+12k), 30% @ Kaiser community (72k+18k) 10min away. Academic center but previously a county hospital so mixed like Carolinas. Integrated peds + 2 discrete months + PICU. 20mo EM, 4mo ICU, 1mo elective. Conferences completely faculty taught, not residents. PD young, energetic, relatable. 2nd years run D section of ED (mid acuity). Faculty are academically productive, especially Peds (Kupperman, PECARN). Policy in-roads in Sacramento capitol.
(-) Sacramento is very livable and up-and-coming, but if you’re young and single your options will be more limited compared to a more cosmopolitan city. 12 hour shifts that usually stretch to 13. Medicine floor, ambulatory Peds. EM are big dogs in the hospital, which is nice but may make learning on off service rotations less worthwhile. A lot of graduates stick around after graduation. No obs unit (holding pods).

Hopkins
Overall: Worthy of its institution’s reputation and culture of equanimitas, but you can also find as great training elsewhere in more livable circumstances and a less rigid work environment.
(+): 50% Hopkins county + academic (64k adult, 30k peds). 25% Bayview county (60k, 2mo/yr, 1:1 attending, crazy busy). 25% Howard rich community (59k). Discrete peds in years 1,3, and integrated shifts in 2. 12s (weekdays), 8s. PGY4s have a supervisory role. 3mo ICU, 1mo Shock trauma. 4-year curriculum (since 2008) that still technically finishes in 3. The best designed 4th year I saw on the trail, really adds to job marketability and personal interest exploration. 4th year self-designed FAST track (960hrs) = 20h/wk and the other 20h/wk you can spend on your choice, flexible design just has to be cleared by approachable PD. Best use of the 4th year probably is u/s. Worth noting that the 4th year cannot be rolled into a micu based fellowship because Hopkins reserves their MICU spots for IM/pulm residents only. New ED with 24/7 rads/scans. Proximity to DC. Clear graduated responsibility. Get to serve an underserved population. Residents are academic leader types with fascinating backgrounds.
(-) Crazy long boarding (10-20hrs), long wait times, some shifts are just babysitting rooms and not seeing new patients. Very anti-EM culture of deference and hierarchy between faculty and resident (white coats, last name formality). Baltimore +/-. 4th years report they felt ready to be attendings after 3yrs.

Carolinas
Overall: Strong clinical training in a nice part of the country that will better prepare you for community practice than academic exit opportunities.
(+) Excellent resident culture and faculty impression, clinically strong. Community single-site: 85k+30k. Blend of rich and poor. Warm and kind culture. Livable city with mild winters, vibrant young-adult financial community, close outdoor activities. Long history reputation so good community job placement. New UNC affiliation. 17mo EM. 5mo ICU. Integrated peds. Medicine, Peds floor months. Moving to block didactics this year instead of daily didactics.
(-) Strongest program in hospital so poorer off-service learning. Exit opportunities not as strong if you are considering non-medicine routes (i.e. policy). With the unfortunate passing of their previous chair and notables like Jeff Kline moving on, some feel like this program may be moving out of its golden age, but certainly all the ingredients for success are still there.

I didn’t write as much about these since they weren’t in my top 5:

BIDMC
(+) PD/chair Denver grads compress Denver's 4year program into three years. Impressive graduated PPH ratios (end of PGY2 = 5.6), with PGY3 pit boss role seeing all flow through 20 bed main area. 3+1 year pays 100k for 20hrs/wk and also covers tuition for another Harvard degree (i.e. MPH). Significant research productivity – you will publish. Best EMR on the road.
(-) Main site "acuity" has high incidence of elderly/septic bomb pathology. 8 other sites = commuting + learning new systems. Inside word is resident productivity > resident wellness. Somewhat stiff feel but comes with the academic territory. Boston is a lovely family-friendly city but not my cup of tea. I hear staffing Red Sox games become more of a chore after a while?

Cincinnati
(+) Clinically very strong with graduated responsibility and flight. EM strong leadership in hospital (as with Georgetown and UMass, this comes into play in many subtle ways).
(-) Did not see value of 4th year. Location dealbreaker (but very livable if you're already settled down)

Georgetown
(+) Expanded to 10 spots this year, good sign. New PD energetic and comimitted. Rising star. 91K volume at MedStar where 80% time is spent. All shifts 1:1 with attending, although this may change with class size bump. Strong peds, critical care, health policy opportunities. Friendly feel, the "sorority" class is graduating but most residents seem to be married or in stable relationships. Most grads stay in area. MedStar leadership are EM docs.
(-) DC traffic. Nothing stood out as a clear strength.

Harbor UCLA
(+) Strong in both clinical and research competency. Interesting, fun, approachable residents and faculty.
(-) Did not see value of new 4th year. One current resident warned possibility of hour creep once new ED/hospital opens this year and there is more space to saff (current pts wait 10+ hrs to be seen). I want a component of county in my training but not straight county. Weak off-service learning.

Pitt - pretty strong training up there with Carolinas, Davis, UMass but did not like the city
U Chicago - the most academic county setup in the country but very underresourced. a fun bunch
UCSF SFH – nice people but again, did not feel the 4th year is necessary
U Mass - strongest u/s experience on the trail with an academic county feel, but living in Worcester seems socially suffocating
U Washington - this will be a top tier program in 3-4 years but still fighting their battles and ironing out kinks in the curriculum
Loma Linda - strongest peds on the trail, PD is the most engaging and genuinely interested I met, but location is estranged from LA by traffic, restrictive dietary rules in the hospital, a few residents mentioned that some academic faculty are not interested in teaching

I hope you are not naive enough to actually believe this statistic as something that is meaningful. For any of you 4th year medical students reading this, a number like this is meaningless unless you know how it is calculated...different shops calculate their pph in different ways which can produce significantly disparate results for essentially the same level of work. I did some quick math myself on this one:

BIDMC sees (according to their website) 57,000 pts per year in their ED. Let's take June as a representative month of the "end of PGY-2"...57,000/12 months=4750 pts seen in a month. 4750/30 days in june=158.3 pts seen per day in the month of june. 158.3/24 hours in a day=6.6 pts per hour for the entire ED each day.

I highly doubt that a program of such high regard would mislead somebody so badly...maybe there is a chance you "misremember" this information from your interview day there, which is now many months ago.
There is not much to be gained from having a "he said she said" discussion with you about a program that clearly neither of us attend. I will say this, however. I have presented here the data I collected and my impressions for the benefit for next year's applicant class. Being only one year out, I remember well the challenge of even identifying programs to apply to. Next year's class are smart cookies and I'm sure they will triangulate my thoughts with their own sources. In the end, I do think that sharing what I have is helpful -- even if it is an imperfect addition to an also imperfect process.

2) LSU New Orleans- Awesome city, Awesome residents, awesome faculty, only Level 1 in Southern Louisiana. On my interview they dropped the fact that they average around 1 GSW activation per day at LSU. You train the Navy SEALs in trauma resus.

Just to give everyone a more realistic view of LSU-New Orleans for their EM program at University Hospital ..

1 GSW activation per day is a gross underestimate. I worked as a paramedic in New Orleans for a number of years and I can tell you that 1 GSW trauma activation is a slow day, and it's about the minimum. Maybe during the winter you'll go a day or two without an serious GSW. Especially at night you could get as many as 4-5 at once and then they keep trickling in, and that isn't uncommon at all. I can't offer any more perspective of the program than that, but I can tell you that if you're looking for GSWs, this is certainly the place to be (sure other cities may have more GSWs but they are larger cities, and New Orleans only has 1 level 1 trauma center anywhere remotely close)