Rank Order lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vash311

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, now I've applied to 25 or so odd programs...now let say that I get about 8 to 10 interviews out of the bunch...when I submit my rank order, do I list all 10 that I interviewed at or do you just put down the programs that you are willing to go to? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Of the programs where you interview, just put down the ones that you're willing to go to.

No obligation on your part to rank a program you interviewed at and hated.

You should NOT have any program on your ROL that you think you would HATE. Only rank ones you loved or think are doable. I've heard of people crying on Match Day because they were so upset with their results. I don't have much sympathy for these people... a program that makes you that upset should not have been on your list in the first place. +pity+

Well said Amy. I'd also like to stress the notion that you shouldn't try to psycho-analyze the match process. In reality, the match algorithm is set up such that you'll match at your highest-ranked program that also wants you. As sych, your ROL should NOT be based in any way, shape, or form on how you think programs are going to rank you, how well you interviewed, or on any other such factor. It's really this simple: rank them in order of YOUR preference, in terms of where you'd actually like to be. I can't stress this enough. Many an applicant has had a sad match day because they tried to somehow "work the system" or "play the odds." It's not a smart move, and it betrays frank ignorance of how the match algorithm actually works.

And so ends my rant for the day... :)

Amy said:
You should NOT have any program on your ROL that you think you would HATE. Only rank ones you loved or think are doable. I've heard of people crying on Match Day because they were so upset with their results. I don't have much sympathy for these people... a program that makes you that upset should not have been on your list in the first place. +pity+

The only corollary to this is, in competitive specialties, decide whether you would rather scramble into a prelimary year position/other specialty, or be at that institution. I know someone who didn't rank everywhere they interviewed, didn't match, and scrambled for a gen-surg prelim year at a hospital not as good as the ones they didn't rank. Might have put more programs on the ROL if they'd known how it would work out.