Ranking advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zedoc

Seniorrr
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Howdy y'all!

Now that interview season is over, the hard part starts. I've been having such a hard time putting my rank list together. I have my bottom choices but not my top choices. I wanted to get y'alls input. I interviewed at many top tier programs and really loved many of them. I can see myself at any of those programs but the one program that I seem to go back on is my home program. I enjoyed my clerkship, electives, the attendings, and I really get along with the residents and can totally see them as my future family. My only concern is that it is more of a lower tiered community program. It's one of the few lower tiered programs on my list.

They only have one fellowship, PEM. Luckily it's one of the specialties that I am considering. However, I'm afraid that if I end up falling in love with another specialty during residency it will be harder for me, albeit not impossible, to obtain a fellowship since the majority of residents at my home program end up doing primary care or hospitalist medicine. So I guess my question is: how would you handle my situation or what advice can you offer to kind of assist me in making my list? I went into the season wanting a larger academic program where I would get a variety of clinical exposure and I'm not sure if I can get that at my home program, however like I said my heart keeps going back to my home program.

So sorry for such a long thread but this has been eating me up!

Thanks in advance!!

Zedoc :)

crutchinski

Reaction score
Hi,
To build on getting advice, I have a lot of programs I'm excited about, and I will be happy even if I drop to 10 on my list, so I think its been particularly hard comparing completely incongruent characteristics in figuring out how to rank. So, besides casting a wide net about advice in general (which I'm sure a bunch of us, including me, will happily take), I'm wondering if seasoned match vets could give their perspective on:

1)what you thought was important to consider when you were ranking
2) what you would have wished you had considered after the process was over

I know this is often highly personal and individual, but its nice to hear how other people approached it.
Thanks!

cuddlebear

Reaction score
I had a similar question and asked several faculty members and my advisor about this. I also come from a low tier school with no fellowships and was worried about wanting to do a fellowship after residency. The advice that I got was that, in general, it doesn't matter. My home school has matched people in to all types of fellowships into some prestigious programs, such as Emory and WashU. I was advised to go to residency where I fit in best and where I thought I could get the best education.

Reactions: 1 user