Ranking advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harisjameel

Reaction score
How many candidates a program usually rank postinterview? If a program has 3 slots and interviewed like 60 people, do they rank all of them or like 20-25 applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know in my experience, programs will rank all applicants they interviewed unless there is someone/are people who they feel they do not want at their program (similar situation to how an applicant may choose not to rank a program where they interviewed because for whatever reason, they would not want to go there for residency).

The program site says they interview 40 applicants for three slots but on Frieda, they conducted 60 interviews last year. what is the reason for conducting more IVs from applicants and does this mean this year they have conducted more than 60? Do they rank all applicants they interview??

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was involved with residency interviews and selection we did not rank all the applicants that we interviewed.

Unless we were totally uninterested in certain candidates, we ranked everyone who interviewed.

How many candidates a program usually rank postinterview? If a program has 3 slots and interviewed like 60 people, do they rank all of them or like 20-25 applicants?
To ensure filling PGY1 positions and avoiding the SOAP, it's only to a program's advantage to rank as many applicants as they can unless they find some candidates simply unacceptable. Programs often have an idea from prior years of how far down their match lists they've gone to fill their positions. With that info in mind, programs will simply rank as many candidates they can be confident filling with. I know of some programs that end up striking 15% of their interviewees off the rank list, but that percentage will obviously vary among residencies.

To ensure filling PGY1 positions and avoiding the SOAP, it's only to a program's advantage to rank as many applicants as they can unless they find some candidates simply unacceptable. Programs often have an idea from prior years of how far down their match lists they've gone to fill their positions. With that info in mind, programs will simply rank as many candidates they can be confident filling with. I know of some programs that end up striking 15% of their interviewees off the rank list, but that percentage will obviously vary among residencies.
So in short, getting ranked doesn't provide you an edge to get matched as everyone is literally getting ranked.

Depends on the program. Some programs will rank all candidates in hopes of just trying to fill the spots. They don’t want to have an empty position or even worse, positionS with a “S” and they have to find someone through the scramble or whatever they call it now.

Depends on the program. Some programs will rank all candidates in hopes of just trying to fill the spots. They don’t want to have an empty position or even worse, positionS with a “S” and they have to find someone through the scramble or whatever they call it now.
I apologize as I am new to this process. Do you think people ranked from 20s-30s also have the chance to match at a particular program?? or is it always the people who are ranked from 1-20s end up matching at a program?

I apologize as I am new to this process. Do you think people ranked from 20s-30s also have the chance to match at a particular program?? or is it always the people who are ranked from 1-20s end up matching at a program?
Imagine this is going to be program/year dependent. But given that there are programs in the SOAP every year, some programs don't just fall that low on their rank list. They fall off.

Yes programs can fall down that low if they rank a bunch of candidates. It depends on the program though. Not all programs rank a lot of candidates. Some are more picky and choosy. Some mid tier and lower tier programs may rank a lot of candidates they interview so they don’t have to go through the SOAP or whatever they call it now. Again it depends on the program. From my experience I know one program that ranked 50 candidates. Not sure how low on that list they went when the match came around.