Ranking GPRs in NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newyorkcitynative

Reaction score
Hi guys

I need help ranking my first choice!
Competitive VA program that would force me to pay rent close to or even over 1k
Average program by my house that has more patient volume but no fixed experience

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I didn't do any GPR. But with 2 years of experience, I can tell you that, if I were you, I would go with the VA program as my first choice. I don't want to do GPR at a place which is not giving me enough experience to be a full-fledged dentist. You can make the money which you lost in rent within one or two years if you are a competitive dentist.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You live in NYC but are still complaining about rent being (only) $1,000?
Went to d school out of state where cost of living is much more affordable.
Of course I'm complaining about rent being 1k for a room if I can live at home for free..????????

Hi guys

I need help ranking my first choice!
Competitive VA program that would force me to pay rent close to or even over 1k
Average program by my house that has more patient volume but no fixed experience

I did my GPR at Wyckoff and I definitely feel like a VA program would have given me far better experience in certain areas. But it also depends on what your interest is. If it's in prosth, then you're better off at a VA. I was interested in peds, and that's where Wyckoff shined (at the time, they didn't have a peds residency but had a heavy peds volume). Also, if your VA program does not have a prosth residency, you'll be even better off for fixed. If they don't have perio or OS, then you'll have access to more implants. And so on. Definitely pick the program that gives you the experience you're looking for. It's just for a year so the rent issue can easily be forgotten in due time lol

I did my GPR at Wyckoff and I definitely feel like a VA program would have given me far better experience in certain areas. But it also depends on what your interest is. If it's in prosth, then you're better off at a VA. I was interested in peds, and that's where Wyckoff shined (at the time, they didn't have a peds residency but had a heavy peds volume). Also, if your VA program does not have a prosth residency, you'll be even better off for fixed. If they don't have perio or OS, then you'll have access to more implants. And so on. Definitely pick the program that gives you the experience you're looking for. It's just for a year so the rent issue can easily be forgotten in due time lol
True! I've decided to rank the VA program first :) I might not even get in! Thanks for sharing!

True! I've decided to rank the VA program first :) I might not even get in! Thanks for sharing!

Glad I could help. I did my GPR 2016-2017 so feel free to DM should you have any questions. I’ll answer what I can remember lol. I think you’re making the right choice by the way. The overall VA experience certainly trumps the peds experience I had (if you’re looking for that well-rounded experience that is the foundation of being a GP)

Glad I could help. I did my GPR 2016-2017 so feel free to DM should you have any questions. I’ll answer what I can remember lol. I think you’re making the right choice by the way. The overall VA experience certainly trumps the peds experience I had (if you’re looking for that well-rounded experience that is the foundation of being a GP)
Thanks again! I appreciate it! guess we just have to wait til late Jan for match results, haha

Last edited:
The GPR is only a glimpse of dentistry. No one year program will prepare you for the rest of your life. Hence the catch phrase "life long learning".
Go to the program where you feel you will fit in the best. In the end, you will spend the next 30 years taking CE and learning whatever you want.

Reactions: 1 users