Ranking.. High, Mid, Low tier

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PlayMeSomeMusic

Always waiting...
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All--

Sorry if this is stupid, but I was wondering if anybody could just give me some info real quick where on the tier schools fall. I'm not even sure when it comes to DO schools.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

This is entirely my subjective opinion:

High:
PCOM
DMU
The state-supported DO schools

Mid/Low:
Everyone else including the new schools since they are as of yet unknown quantities.

That being said the only reason I rank the high DO schools as such is because they tend to have attached residencies and bigger hospitals(DMU being the exception).

Any school will get you to where you are going though.

Although it doesn't always seem popular because of location /price, I think western might also be part up with top? I may not like them,but they do have many associated residencies and a decent match list.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is entirely my subjective opinion:

High:
PCOM
DMU
The state-supported DO schools

Mid/Low:
Everyone else including the new schools since they are as of yet unknown quantities.

That being said the only reason I rank the high DO schools as such is because they tend to have attached residencies and bigger hospitals(DMU being the exception).

Any school will get you to where you are going though.

:thumbup:

i would add CCOM ..maybe NYCOM NSUCOM for toptier or near top

I would second CCOM being in the top tier along with UMDNJ

Actually not.. Someone had just mentioned high and mid tier schools in a post and I hadn't heard of anything relating to DO schools.. geesh..

Thanks everybody else for the posts

Dont believe what you read in the Pre-Osteo forum. Semi knowledgable people stating things as if they were fact. At least when I say something its backed by actually being a DO student. More than I can say for 90% of this forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
[Re: tiers,] I'm not even sure when it comes to DO schools.

Neither is anybody else. There isn't a commonly accepted form of ranking for DO schools. Pick factors that are important for you, research all the schools (there aren't that many of them), and rank them yourself.

There are certain "rankings" for allopathic schools (e.i. usnews)

Even then, those rankings are used for categorical rankings: i.e. primary care, academic medicine, etc.

Thus, rankings in terms of "which is the best med school. period" don't exist.

I will put in my .2 for KCUMB. But other than personal preference, I really don't think that you can go wrong with any of the original five: KCOM, DMU, PCOM, CCOM, KCUMB. I interviewed at 4 of them, all of which were top notch. At that point it is just a matter of which school is the right fit for you. I would also say that the state schools are strong due to their financial support from the state.

Every one of the osteopathic schools have a unique advantage to them so its hard to say which is "better."

For example. TCOM is associated with a lot of Osteopathic Research, that might be a big deal to you.

CCOM, has some pretty good Chicago rotations.

PCOM, the schools just looks great, look at all the clinicals, etc.

KCOM, its the original, they are osteopathic medicine.

The list goes on for every school. You will have to research every one and apply to those in which you will feel confident in.

Dont believe what you read in the Pre-Osteo forum. Semi knowledgable people stating things as if they were fact. At least when I say something its backed by actually being a DO student. More than I can say for 90% of this forum.

How's the view from way up there? :rolleyes:
pretension.jpg

lol show that to your instructors/superior resident/attendings in the future. I'm sure that the real medical world in no way has a system of hierarchy and pretension built into it... why don't you walk into an ER and say you're a doctor!?

[/sarcasm]

Hey All--

Sorry if this is stupid, but I was wondering if anybody could just give me some info real quick where on the tier schools fall. I'm not even sure when it comes to DO schools.

Thanks

We DO students think of our schools kind of like parents think of their kids: they love them all and each one has strengths and weaknesses. There are young ones and old ones and there's probably 1-2 that, if you weren't there for the delivery, you'd never believe was yours.