Ranking Jargon!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wanderer HitchHiker

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a question regarding the jargon used by programs when talking about ranking. When someone from the program says "We will rank you very high, near the top", what does this really mean? Does it mean within the available slots for the program "the program has 9 spots" or high near the top means near to the top 9 spots "e.g. 11" so you would have a good chance if the top choices will go somewhere else?

I know it's an enigmatic question but since this is my dream program, I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

No one on SDN has any idea what the program meant when they said that to you. I know this time of year is stressful, but just relax.

Rank lists are in, your fate is sealed at this point. Just buy a bottle of whatever booze floats your boat and try to enjoy the next 2 weeks...

Reactions: 9 users
Thanks, the argus, for your words of wisdom; they are really well-received. I understand that my fate is sealed already, and it is only a couple of days until I know everything; nonetheless, I am just curious to know what this means.

I do not drink so I am enjoying my time performing multiple regression analyses and prediction models :rofl: Can't even describe how much fun this is😑
N.P. the program contacted my mentor not me and told him that!

It means either they ranked you in the top X spots where X=the number of spots in their program; or they ranked you within the range of spots they routinely go down to fill their X spots; or they ranked you lower than that, but it's conceivable that they could drop down to you and they want you to still be happy if you wind up going there; or they didn't rank you at all but they're trying to be nice to your face.

Basically, you're asking us to read their mind. Try to let it go.

Reactions: 4 users
lol! I mentioned earlier it's an enigmatic question and added that they were the ones to reach out and say that. Nonetheless, you have a good point. I just thought it might be a known jargon in such circumstances that I am not familiar with.

I remember reading an ACR paper saying that there are only ONE thing from each side that carries weight.

From PD to student: I am ranking you to match: if student ranked program #1 and fail to match, then PD lied. No way to verify any other claims from PD

From student to PD: I am ranking you number one: if PD rank student to match but student did not, student lied. No way to verify any other claim from student including I am ranking you second.

this is why the whole “I am ranking you #1 letter is such a big deal”

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks, IRattending! This makes much sense. At least now I am sure that "very high near the top" doesn't mean a lot which was my original thought.

Thanks, IRattending! This makes much sense. At least now I am sure that "very high near the top" doesn't mean a lot which was my original thought.

In fact, I caution students against using words like “I am ranking you near the tp” because you are telling them you arent ranking them number one.

For politeness I usually say “I hope we get to work together in the future” when I was interviewing and if I feel that way because that express your appreciation for the individual interviewer without lying about anything.

Reactions: 1 user
From PD to student: I am ranking you to match: if student ranked program #1 and fail to match, then PD lied. No way to verify any other claims from PD

This also is nebulous. This could mean they put the applicant on the range which they usually expect to match their applicants (e.g. the first 35 slots for 7 spots). However that is obviously an estimate and can vary from year to year. I'd say the only thing that is truly meaningful is if they explicitly say they'll rank you at the spot equal to or below the number of spots. That would guarantee a match if you put them #1.

This also is nebulous. This could mean they put the applicant on the range which they usually expect to match their applicants (e.g. the first 35 slots for 7 spots). However that is obviously an estimate and can vary from year to year. I'd say the only thing that is truly meaningful is if they explicitly say they'll rank you at the spot equal to or below the number of spots. That would guarantee a match if you put them #1.

that’s the problem. Rank to match have two different meaning now. It used to mean that they have 3 spots and you are ranked top 3 aka YOU are ranked to match there.

Thanks, guys, for the input and the enlightening discussion. I can just ask the PC who I know well and she works with me but I don't like to put ppl in an awkward and unprofessional situation especially my friends. One thing I am sure about is that my interview there was my best performance ever and I received amazing feedback during and after the interview from the faculty and the chief resident. The reason why I have some doubts is that the program is among the top 10 in the country and I might have a great interview, solid scores, LORs, research, and clinical experience but I have also some red flags such as the YOG (2013) since I have done a residency in my home country before coming here and spent 2+ years, here in this institution, engaged in a productive bench- and clinical-side research.

Really appreciate your feedback, thanks!

Thanks, guys, for the input and the enlightening discussion. I can just ask the PC who I know well and she works with me but I don't like to put ppl in an awkward and unprofessional situation especially my friends. One thing I am sure about is that my interview there was my best performance ever and I received amazing feedback during and after the interview from the faculty and the chief resident. The reason why I have some doubts is that the program is among the top 10 in the country and I might have a great interview, solid scores, LORs, research, and clinical experience but I have also some red flags such as the YOG (2013) since I have done a residency in my home country before coming here and spent 2+ years, here in this institution, engaged in a productive bench- and clinical-side research.

Really appreciate your feedback, thanks!

if you are gonna rank them number one say so. If you are not don’t say anything. Don’t send a letter of interest without ending in “i am ranking you number one”

Thanks, IRattending, for the advice! I hope I won't need it for the next year match:rofl::rofl:
I have not said anything about where I will rank them because, intuitively, they know for a fact I am ranking them number one. I have been working in the department for a couple of years, and my mentors here, thankfully, did this part for me without I even ask them to; I am so grateful and lucky to work with such national leaders in the field and decent human beings like them.

Hi everyone, I have a question regarding the jargon used by programs when talking about ranking. When someone from the program says "We will rank you very high, near the top", what does this really mean? Does it mean within the available slots for the program "the program has 9 spots" or high near the top means near to the top 9 spots "e.g. 11" so you would have a good chance if the top choices will go somewhere else?

I know it's an enigmatic question but since this is my dream program, I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,

It doesn’t mean much. I have seen novel length emails sent from program directors unsolicited to candidates that really made it sound like the candidate was going there. Then they did not match. I have seen PDs tell a candidate “we are ranking you number 1” then the candidate doesn’t match.