Ranking money/lifestyle of pathology (in comparison to other specialties)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stickyshift

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, just for fun, on a scale of 1 (worst) to 10 (best), what would you score pathology for money and lifestyle? (I know that the main reason we all went into path was because it was the best fit for our talent set and personality, but money and lifestyle are considerations, are they not?).

I give path a 7 for money and 10 for lifestyle, total score of 17.

For comparison, I would give diagnostic radiology an 8 for money and 9 for lifestyle.
Ob/gyn: 8 M, 4 L.
Internal medicine: 6 M, 5 L.
General surgery: 8 M, 4 L.

What are your thoughts (just for fun)?

Members don't see this ad.

OK, just for fun, on a scale of 1 (worst) to 10 (best), what would you score pathology for money and lifestyle? (I know that the main reason we all went into path was because it was the best fit for our talent set and personality, but money and lifestyle are considerations, are they not?).

For comparison, I would give diagnostic radiology an 8 for money and 9 for lifestyle.

If OB is a '4' for lifestyle I hate to think what would be a '1'.

Diagnostic Rads now with no real call and Nighthawk overseas coverage at night would be a perfect 10/10 for lifestyle.

Im not sure I would give Path a 10/10 lifestyle.

I think rating income is worthless. There are far too many variables even in high income specialities like Spine to generalize. Income is totally individual dependant.

I know family med docs making 500K/year and ENT docs struggling to make 180K in my own community.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pathology is very variable in life style.

I know pathologists who essentially work 7-7 every day and are covering frozens every day, hard to find time to eat. I also know some who are traveling every day to different offsites and getting confronted with tons of crap. Or take call every 2-3 days.

BUt there are also pathologists who work 8-5 (or even less) and have no call or minimal call. So path can be a fantastic lifestyle.

Diagnostic Rads now with no real call and Nighthawk overseas coverage at night would be a perfect 10/10 for lifestyle.

Why, that's my hospital's radiology group right there.

lots of variability--at it's best over the past 25 years 10/10. At it's worst 6/7. Now 8/10.

0M 0L There are no jobs!!

10 for money, 10 for lifestyle.

I am fortunate to earn more money that ever imagined. While I work long hours, generally there is great flexibility in the time I work.

And the field is absolutely fascinating.

Money is dropping in pathology. (i wonder why it's not rocket science...)

Eighteen of the 23 specialties tracked in the survey, our 18th annual, saw increases above the Bureau of Labor Statistics' 2010 Consumer Price Index, three had pay increases below the CPI (noninvasive cardiology, dermatology and pediatrics), and two saw decreases (hospitalists and pathologists).

http://www.modernhealthcare.com/article/20110718/MAGAZINE/110719992

What? That doesn't make sense. The only reason cardiology and many others are increasing is because they plummeted so much a few years ago. That's like saying the economy is good now because last month was better than the month before.

Look at this hypothetical salary comparison

Specialty X:
2008: 400,000
2009: 300,000
2010: 320,000

Specialty Y:
2008: 400,000
2009: 390,000
2008: 380,000

So specialty X is the one you have to get into because it's doing so wonderful? :rolleyes:

I don't think any specialty in medicine with the exception of cosmetics is a real growth area. Sure, many are getting busier but that doesn't mean income is shooting up that much.