Ranking: number 1 and 2 positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calibrate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All!

I hope the interview season is going well! I am having a difficult time deciding on my number one and two ranking positions. I am sure most of you are at this juncture and I am hoping to get some input from all of you.

The two neurology programs I am having trouble place for my number one and two are NYP-Cornell and the Mayo Clinic. I love both of these programs and both are top tier programs in my opinion. Per doximity, Mayo is #4 and NYP-Cornell is #20. I would like to know which programs offers better training and overall experience.

Things that I am looking for in a program: Prestige, emphasis on teaching, good fellowship matching, having a neuro ICU (interested in neuroCC fellowship), research, patient diversity, high volume.

Location is not a big deal for me. Am I being naive about the location? Rochester is cold, like mad cold. I will always be a new yorker/city kid. I will visit often to visit my parents if I dont end up at an NYC program

It seems that Mayo lacks patient diversity, high volume typical of inner city programs, and the "Mayo-isms". And NYP-Cornell lacks robust didactics and hands on teaching comparable to Mayo (the teaching is still excellent though).

About me: From NYC and all of my family is in NYC, DO student, USMLE step 1>240, step 2>250; COMLEX level 1 >600; COMLEX level 2> 700, two pubs, MS degree

Any input would be awesome. I might not even get into any of these programs haha

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Cornell is fine, and you're from New York. Why wouldn't you just rank them first? Mayo is good, but if you're a "New Yorker" then they aren't different enough to make me think you should rank Mayo over Cornell.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with those above. NYC seems close to your heart and honestly these programs are equally great in terms of reputation. Not to mention, at Cornell you'll be building a network of people in the place you ultimately want to live in. Doximity ratings don't mean much.

Thank you for the advice! I will probably rank Cornell number 1 and Mayo number 2

Clearly Cornell, you are from NYC - family and familiarity shouldn't be undervalued when picking

For you I would rank Cornell top, seems like no brainer. I think moving from NYC to a small town in MN might be a change in culture that you might not like.