ranking NY vs Chicago programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artsydoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Day of decision is near. Any last minute advice on all the Chicago programs (Uchicago, Rush, Northwestern, Loyola, UIC) vs four of the NY programs (Einstein, Mt. Sinai/Beth Israel, Columbia, NYU) Those are the ones I'm ranking for the most part. Does anyone have any comments on any of these programs vs the other? I really am in a tizzy trying to decide so any extra bits of info on top of my already copious notes would be appreciated. I'm pretty friendly (I think...) so friendly gets lots of points in my book, but I don't want to discount fabulous academic programs and all the opportunities that come with.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know some senior residents from Chicago programs (neuro and IM) and they all seem fairly happy and are very friendly. Northwestern is increasing their program size and they have a new PD (and relatively new chairman) and have strong didactics. Rush neuro residents are a good bunch and I haven't heard much negative stuff from their program. From what I understand UIC is going through some major faculty turnover and the residents are overworked, spread thin but surprisingly upbeat and feel well trained. I only know of a few grads from Loyola but no current residents and they said the program was hard and at times malignant. Don't know much about New York though, sorry.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply! Slowly sorting out the rank list...

I am a former Rush resident. I can't say enough great things about that program. I don't know much about the NYC programs, but your money goes a lot farther in Chicago than it does in NYC. PM me if you have questions about Rush!